Hauling kayaks strapped to pup - how to?

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by Langhaven, May 21, 2017.

1. Langhaven

Langhaven New Member

May 21, 2017
    Hi! Our camping trip is imminent and we are still trying to think through the best way to carry our 2 10ft yaks on top of our 12 ft pup that doesnt have a roof rack. We drive and excursion ans it is just too tall to carry the yaks on top in my opinion. Thanks!

2. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

May 8, 2015
    Upstate New York
    Pool Noodles strapped to your pup and then Kayaks strapped down independently?

3. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yep carried mine on pool noodles.

4. Trina Martinez

Trina Martinez New Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Arizona
    We've carried our canoe using noodles.

5. lonestarcamper

lonestarcamper A smile is worth a 1000 words!

Jul 25, 2014
    My pup has an offset air conditioner in the back right making it impossible to carry my 2 30" wide kayaks on top side by side. Has anyone ever stacked kayaks on top of one another on one side of the pup with noodles?

6. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    I have an Excursion as well, but mine is lifted 8in and rolls on 35s. When I tried carrying the paddleboard up top, the vibration of the tie-down straps were annoying at 35mph and deafening at 65mph. I decided to fab up a roof rack to hold our kayak and SUP on the side that has the roof vents, and carry my 2 solar panels on the curb side. Using existing bolts the hold the steel roof supports, I could avoid having to drill additional holes. I chose to use foam blocks to protect the kayak hull and lift everything just over the closed roof vents. Here's a few pics:
    pup 1.jpg
    pup 2.jpg IMG_20170729_185154197.jpg

john1746 likes this.
  7. Jose

Jose New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    That rack the bolts are drilled straight thru?

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I fabricated a set of racks for one PUP that I had, the roof rack was bolted thru the top. the yaks rode on their sides, first time I used it I raised the roof, looked up and uh oh (not exactly what I said) I had forgotten to take the yaks off the roof and then had to let the top down to remove them. pool noodles will probably work for you, just make sure thay are strapped really good. Good Luck and Happy Camping

9. Jose

Jose New Member

Aug 1, 2017

Do you have pictures?

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    No sorry that was years ago and several campers ago too, the rack was easy to make using scrap metal

11. Jose

Jose New Member

Aug 1, 2017

ooh ok thanks!