Heater Buddy Big Buddy

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by bnewsom50, Nov 19, 2016.

1. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

I don't expect a single person in this world to feel sorry for me. But if you must know, the tent was purchased while I was in the Army, stationed in vilseck, germany. The honda was free to me plus the price of a spark plug, and the buddy heater was a Christmas present after my small heater almost burned down my expensive tent, which at that point in time I had no other means to sleep. That expensive tent is one of my prized possessions. Now I have the teardrop, graciously given to me by TxBum for little more than a bit of work and the price of some fuel. Again, not everything is so cut and dry.

You are correct in that these days I CHOOSE to source our meat from our property (which has been in the family since 1867). My wife has stomach issues and wild game doesn't bother her, and as any good man will know...it's best to have her happy and healthy. I also raise my son's to know the skills of a well rounded outdoorsman so that if the day may come that they, too, HAVE to hunt for meat as I have in the past they will have the knowledge to provide.

2. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

oR zOMBIES :)

3. John61CT

John61CT New Member

And then that blower fan could easily be 12v.

I lived for years, only electricity we had was from swapping out the truck's batteries from trips into town. Fun times actually. . .

4. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

Could, but I was thinking of something like http://www.mrheater.com/forced-air-kerosene-heater-1214.html

5. John61CT

John61CT New Member

yes for those 3000 sq ft PUPs :cool:

6. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

For starters, OP lobbed a question and hasn't chimed in since then (3 days ago). He quite possibly left for camping over the Thanksgiving weekend already, which means we may have missed him, but it's been radio silence.

Back to his question: is this for a PUP without a furnace? Considering all the options and pros/cons I'm reading, if planning to camp this time of year, I'd absolutely plan to spend the money on propane. A refill is only $15-20. You can buy and fill a second tank just in case for less than half of a Mr Buddy heater. PUP already has what you need to stay warm. Works for boondocking too.

If there is no furnace in the PUP, I'd run a ceramic or radiant oil space heater with a 50ft 12/3 gauge cord off the pylon.

My third choice would be to bite the bullet and take the TT. The weather this time of year commands it. I assume that would have a furnace.

My fourth choice would be to buy a generator and run a space heater off it. At least a generator can be used for all sorts of things. It's a $1000+ investment that still requires bringing gasoline along (assuming you can run it where you're going), limited run time (tank size) and some inefficiency, but a Mr Buddy is only good for one thing: heat.

I wouldn't boondock in Midwest Nov weather in a PUP. But my last choice would be to buy this thing because it's a cool toy, use it, buy and exhaust fuel tanks for it, and hope - if anything went wrong - the noxious gas doesn't suffocate me before my CO alarm went off. To me, even if it saves money (which I doubt), it's not worth the risk.

Just my 2 cents.

7. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

Why limit yourself? Bedtime, set it 15-20 feet away, aim at camper, sleep in your shorts. Daytime, warm the whole site. [:D]

8. John61CT

John61CT New Member

Need to park next to a delivery bobtail :cool:

I'm visualizing a huge metal farm shed full of PUPs all sleeping toasty off the one burner.

A 1# bottle wouldn't be enough to get it warmed up!

9. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

OMG!!! Don't use a propane heater in a camper, everyone in the camper, campground and surrounding 10 square mile area will die from CO poisoning!!!

10. John61CT

John61CT New Member

It's worth warning people to have a working alarm and a window cracked, then you'll be OK.

Not a joke, people do die this way, a good friend and pretty close relative of mine did.

11. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

When I used mine the most we would fill the tank every morning when we got to work, just like we did the welder, genarator, and air compressor. Aim it where we where going to work, built 3 trucks that winter...

Any time you are using fire to heat a room, you don't want that fire to breath the same air you do, needs it's own entry and exit.
    A friend borrowed my big heater when it got cold before he got the gas lines to his green house in. He had set 2 of them, blowing opposite ways from the center of 150X40 shelter. I pulled into his yard about mid-nite to get some equipment, saw the lights on in the green house. Looked in, saw him on the floor near heater, started in. Got about half way to him, started to feel funny. Grabbed a board, and made a door. Ran down the outside to where he was, and made another to drag him out. After he left with EMTs, I set the heaters outside the broken windows, blowing in...

12. John61CT

John61CT New Member

fun times!

13. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

First, sorry to hear about your friends.
    Second, folks go bonkers when someone wants to use a Buddy heater in a PuP. It's perfectly safe when used with common sense, most likely safer than driving to the campground.

14. John61CT

John61CT New Member

I agree in a drafty environment, little risk from the CO aspect.

But these are very portable, so warnings do help educate those who might then move them into a tighter space.

And while fire is a risk with either, if mains power is available, electric is generally always safer than propane.

Keep in mind how uncommon common sense can be.

15. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think folks should be required to take a test before buying a camper, or in my other hobby, buying a table saw

16. davido

davido Active Member

From the Mr Heater Buddy website (http://www.mrheater.com/portable-buddy-heater.html): "With the Oxygen Depletion Sensor (ODS) and accidental tip-over safety shut-off you can be sure that you will enjoy years of comfortable indoor safe heat."

If it has its own protection built-in, is specifically designed for indoor use, and if the RV has a functioning CO detector, and if a window is left cracked, I am among the group who considers this a safe appliance to use when necessary.