Heater question, Duo-Therm

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by skullboy62, Sep 24, 2006.

1. skullboy62

skullboy62 New Member

New member, New to PU's. Just recently purchased a 1984 Starcraft 19 starflyer to go to nascar races and an occasional camping week end. It has a Duo-Therm furnase model 66117-002. I can get the pilot to light, and the blower will kick on, but the ignitor will not light, not sure if there is a problem with the thermostat or what. I am getting good presure through the lines and the thermostat seems to be working ok. Can anyone give some suggestions? I did talk to a local camper retailer and he told me this was not a very good furnace, but seems to be in very good shape and hate to give up on it.
    Thanks,
    John O.
    Bloomington IL.

2. physics

physics New Member

Hi John,

I have the same furnace that you do. I just bought an 82' starcraft tent trailer and I can't get this furnace working. It says to light the furnace, but I can't see where or how unless I open up the door with the window that says, "do not open". I have tried to push down on the pilot button to try seeing if that would trigger anything. Do you have any idea?? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Shiree

3. austinado16

austinado16 Proud Starcraft Owner

Hi Guys,
    I'm new here and will intro myself in another thread.

But, I've just done an installation on a Duo-Therm 66100 series furnace like yours and had to learn all about it. I'm sure I can help get yours going too. I've got wiring diagrams, schematics, and 2 installation/owner manuals with troubleshooting info.

To fire the main burner the furnace wants to "see" a couple of things.
    1) Pilot light on and control knob set to the "on" position.
    2) 12v flowing from the "+" connection there on the side of the furnace.....up to the overheat switch out in front of the unit.....then back to the airflow triggered "sail switch" down below and to the side of the fan blades.......then over to the spade connection at the rear of the gas valve.
    3) The wall mounted thermostat needs to "close" to provide the ground signal. This ground signal grounds the "heater" in the fan motor relay and after about 5-10 seconds the blower fan will turn on. About 2 seconds after that, you will hear a click as the ground signal to the other spade connector on the rear of the gas valve is provided and the gas valve is held open. Then the main burner will light.

Let me know how I can help and I'm happy to exchange phone numbers if you want to talk while you're working on it!

1987 Starcraft Nova pushing a 1990 GMC Suburban.

Edited by - austinado16 on June 09 2007 11:51:41

4. DanV

DanV New Member

austinado16 -
    I am restoring a 1983 Jayco and it has this furnace - I get the pilot light to light with a match with he burn chamber door open but not from the ignitor. You mention you have manuals and various wiring diagrams for the unit- is this still the case? Its old post but it looks like you're my Obi Won (only hope).

Best,
    Dan