Heater stopped working.

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by MyName, Nov 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    Hi all,

I was driveway camping this weekend and we were using the heater to stay warm at night. In the middle of the night the the heater stopped. Boy did it get cold. I still have propane based on the fact there is a little flame visible for my refrigerator. Any Ideas?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    I assume you changed the thermostat, moving it to a lower temp to try to get the heater to kick on?

3. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    I turned it off and on. I also slid the thermostat back and forth. I had it set for 90 F. Normally after 30-90 seconds the fan kicks on and about 10 min after that the heat starts. (I think its because the gas is moving through the line).

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Are you running on shore power or battery?

5. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    Shore Power (120v AC)

6. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I'd check the stove to make absolute sure there wasn't just gas left in the line to the fridge. Otherwise,
    troubleshoot the thermostat.

Related side note; best $30 I've spent was on a LP tank gauge. Between the
    TT and the house I have 3 LP tanks so I move it between them. Takes all the
    "guesswork" out of the equation.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Just verifying, when you say heater stopped. Does the fan kick on but not the heat, or is the fan also not turning on? Id double check the propane tank just to absolutely rule out that as a possibility. You may have enough propane to for a pilot, but not enough for the furnace. The furnace does eat up propane fast, but normally Im able to get a couple nights using the furnace. Keeping the temperature reasonable.

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Assuming the fan is not running. Check the fuses in the power center, the heater may or may not be on the same circuit with the lights so if they're not labeled check them all. Then I would try to jump across the wires in the thermostat. Then you'll have to go into the heater to see if the fan motor is locked up.

9. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    @jmkay1 To clarify. The heater fan stopped blowing. The tank was full when I started running the fridge that day. I Don't use the stove ever. I'll double check the propane tank.
    @SteveP I checked the fuses on the power center and nothing was tripped. I also check the 2 fuses attached on the wire and both look good.
    I opened up the thermostat and it also appear to be in working order. I'll jump the wires in the thermostat tonight.

10. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    Do you have a volt meter to check if power is making it to the furnace? My guess is the thermostat is the culprit.

11. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    @chambo I do have a volt meter, but I don't see easy access to the furnace wiring. Do I just pull off the face plate? I know the thermostat wires travel below the kitchen/Sink top down a hole to the left of the refrigerator.
    [​IMG]

12. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    The only voltage you will see at the t-stat is milvolts, so don't expect to see 12 volts.. Just tie the t-stat wires together. This will eliminate the t-stat as the problem

13. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    Hi I tied the thermostat wires together and waited about 10 min. Nothing happened. I opened the front of the heater and tested the white and orange wire. They had 12V DC at all times, with or without the thermostat wires together.
    Edit. I also check the propane tank and it was heavy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    try closing the LP tank and very slowly open it up. The safety at the tank will close and allow little or no LP thru if it is opened quickly this acts like a large leak and will shut down the flow.

15. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    also check to see if your stove will fire up just to eliminate the tank or regulator as the problem

16. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    My stove is in the attic because I never take it camping. :sad:. Ok I'll drag it down tonight. I'll even try my other full tank. It's safe to run the heater without the grate on correct?

17. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    The furnace is not going to light until the fan starts and closes the sail switch. First you have to determine why the fan is not running.

Spridle and neighbormike like this.
  18. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    The fan doesn't kick on at all, right? No air movement whatsoever? If the fan never kicks on then the propane isn't the problem. I'm leaning towards a bad motor or module board.

19. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I NEVER use the furnace in my popup. I just use the ceramic heater or big buddy when needed. I am thinking about replacing the furnace with reel in power cord.

[​IMG]

20. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    No air movement at all. Both the motor or board are about $75 each. :( . I guess I can take the heater out and see if any TLC will fix it. I'll probably end up buying a Mr. Heater or something similar.