Hello from CO

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Marcmiller04, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Marcmiller04

Marcmiller04 Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Erie Colorado
    Hi all,

Name's Marc, I live in CO about 40 minutes North of Denver and the same distance South of Fort Collins. Wife and I just bought our first pup, a 1999 Rockwood Signature. We were looking for something big enough for us, the 4 year old and the 3 dogs to be in comfortably and I think we found it. Needs a ton of minor work, and possibly a few major projects but I'm up for it.

I own a small remodel company, we do a lot of bathrooms and kitchens and some bigger remodels and flips.

My wife is a teacher, teaching 5th grade.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Welcome from NM

3. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA!

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

One of my favorite reference websites when I first purchased my Flagstaff pup is Roberts Sales in Denver. Forest River is the maker of Rockwood's sister brand, Flagstaff.

See Robert's Sales "Articles and Tutorials" HERE.

5. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina
    Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome aboard from N/W Fl. Panhandle, sounds like you will have little trouble making the mods to the PUP to "Make it your own" Hope ya'll have many great adventures with the unit. You did not state how large the dogs are? We take four but 3 1/2 are Chihuahuas. We take two of the wire fences and hook them together for our "Rat Pack" to exercise in,and of course lots of walks around the campgrounds. Good Luck and Happy Camping

7. Marcmiller04

Marcmiller04 Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Erie Colorado
    SOOOOOO funny that you mention them... I was literally down the street from them when I bought the pup. I needed an adapter cable from my 7 pin round to their 6 pin rectangle and went to their shop. The guy behind the desk told me that it didn't exist, but as I was walking off the property an old dude came from one of the mechanics areas and had one in his hand.

BikeNFish likes this.
  8. Marcmiller04

Marcmiller04 Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Erie Colorado
    We have a mini boxer, she's getting old... then we have a 6 year old American Bulldog and a younger blue nose pit. All good dogs, looking forward to getting them out. That's a good idea taking a fence with you. Do you have any pics of the fence you use?

9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Although I was born and raised in Minnesota, I've camped many times in Colorado from the time I was a kid with the family until the last time in 2006 with my wife and kids. I have many ties to Colorado as my grandfather would tell me stories about how he climbed Pikes Peak when he was a youngster in the 1920's and our family suffered two deaths in the 1976 Loveland flash flood.

I've camped in Rocky Mountain National Park, at the base of Mount Harvard, Near Pikes Peak, Mount Evans, Glenwood Springs, Dillon Resevoir and a bunch of other unnamed spots. I also spent a week in my youth painting a church in Minturn near Vail.

I may have to get back there soon. I'm due.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Marcmiller04 likes this.
  10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    No, we bought them at CW and bought 2 so we could hook them together to make a large pen, the ones we bought are now on sale (wasn't them) but they are 30" high so a little higher than some others we saw. I think they are on sale now. But I am sure e-bay, Amazon, or wally world has them cheaper...

11. Marcmiller04

Marcmiller04 Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Erie Colorado
    eh, 30" isn't much, especially for the size of my dogs... I will keep my eyes open for something that would work for us.

12. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Welcome aboard from The People's Republic Of Boulder! Sounds Like you might be from the Berthoud or Campion area.

We are fortunate to be in Colorado, what with a multitude of National Parks, National Forests, BLM lands, Colorado State Parks, and many private campgrounds as well. You will find camping places ranging from side of the road "boondocking" with connections to nothing but nature on up to fancy-schmancy places with a full range of hook-ups and swimming pools. Spouse and I like being able to decide at Friday noon to head out for the weekend- just hitch up and go, with a quick stop at King Soopers.

Suggestion: check out the website www.forestcamping.com, which has info on thousands of USFS CGs that have ten or more sites. Pick up a copy of the Colorado Parks and Wildlife guide to state wildlife areas, state parks, etc. at any place that sells hunting and fishing licenses. The online Colorado Hunting Atlas has enabled me to remotely evaluate campsites in many campgrounds, using street maps, topo maps and aerial imagery. Also helped me identify a good place to ambush a very fine mule deer buck last October.

13. Marcmiller04

Marcmiller04 Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Erie Colorado
    That is awesome!! We haven't done any camping yet, only because my wife isn't much of a tent camper so we've been wanting a trailer for a while now... I'm hoping to get out every weekend over the summer or at least every other weekend...

14. Marcmiller04

Marcmiller04 Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Erie Colorado
    Very nice. Did some Elk hunting in South Western CO this year but no luck... Thanks for the advice I will definitely be checking that site out. Hoping to have the pup rehabbed in the next few weeks or a month or so and then we can do some overnight test runs with it.

15. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Greetings and welcome to the Portal from the western side of Colorado.

16. Marcmiller04

Marcmiller04 Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Erie Colorado
    Where in western CO, I have some friends in Rifle and Grand Junction areas... Will be heading out that way for at least 1 trip this year

17. Boatnman

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    We're at the east end of the Grand Junction area. Our quick weekend trips are usually to up on the Grand Mesa for some cool weather and good fishing.

Marcmiller04 likes this.
  18. Marcmiller04

Marcmiller04 Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Erie Colorado
    I really need to get into the good fishing spots, we have a few decent spots around me but nothing real good. I want to do a trip to Grand lake this year too

19. gasmater

gasmater Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Welcome from Aurora CO.

20. Boatnman

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado