Hello from Illinois

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tzigane, May 13, 2018.

1. Tzigane

Tzigane New Member

May 13, 2018
    Central Illinois
    Hello, we just bought our first pop up. It is a 2002 Coachman Clipper Sport Plus 128. We actually haven't even brought it home yet because we have to get a hitch and wiring harness installed on our van (Toyota Sienna). So hopefully in the next couple of weeks it will be sitting in our driveway!

We have tent camped (not mine or daughters favorite) a lot but this will be our first time with a pop up. I am actually excited and can't wait. Have already started planning a couple short, close by trips to get some experience under our belt. Then later this summer, we will be taking a 2 week trip to either the Grand Canyon/Hoover Dam or to Yellowstone/Mt Rushmore! Not sure which one yet. Still doing a lot of research.

2. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA! I suggest Camp Driveway to get to know your pup.

2mommas and Tzigane like this.
  3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the West Virginia mountains...happy camping

Tzigane likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    6ad4135f4a202c41426d6f8c1f8a6abc--welcome-to-group.jpg from Connecticut.

Tzigane likes this.
  5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Congratulations on the NTU Pup and Welcome to the forum from Midway USA. [:)C]

Tzigane likes this.
  6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome to the Portals from N/W Fl Panhandle and congrats on the Coachmen. Do yourself a favor and make lists for setup/ breakdown and use them until you get a routine and do not be in a hurry for set up or break down .. and as mentioned camp driveway or a CG really close to home for a couple of trips is a good idea. You will love the PUP and your daughter too I am sure. Especially in inclement weather. Good Luck and Happy Camping

Tzigane likes this.
  7. seldomseen380

seldomseen380 Active Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Canton, Georgia
    Hello and Welcome from North Georgia...

Tzigane likes this.
  8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

Tzigane likes this.
  9. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Howdy from East Texas. Wanna share a pic of your camper once you get it?

Tzigane likes this.
  10. Tzigane

Tzigane New Member

May 13, 2018
    Central Illinois
    Sure. We haven't picked it up yet but here is a picture from my friend we bought it from.

Attached Files:

Dan from Troup likes this.
  11. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Nice and clean. You must have the U shaped couch with portable table. I do too and need to modify/replace the table because it's hard to slide around and access on the couch when dining.

Tzigane likes this.
  12. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016

As someone suggested camp driveway. But depending on where you are in Illinois there are many COE campgrounds within a short drive. I stayed at one just 100 miles from home last weekend near Galena.

Tzigane likes this.
  13. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!

Tzigane likes this.
  14. Tzigane

Tzigane New Member

May 13, 2018
    Central Illinois
    Thanks. We are near Peoria. We do plan to find a couple close by and do some weekend trips. Our big trip wouldn't be until August, so we have time to get a couple small trips under our belt and hopefully work out most kinks. And get a good feel.

15. Tzigane

Tzigane New Member

May 13, 2018
    Central Illinois
    Yes, it had the u-shaped couch in it. And thanks. It is clean on the inside as well. They took really good care of it.
    The previous owners used that table mostly outside and just used the area as a couch. They didn't need the extra table set up all the time. I think that is also what we are going to do but of course we will know better after we actually start camping in it and get a feel to what out usual/routine will be.

16. SJJ527

SJJ527 New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Hi there. I was just looking at the same camper - same year, too. I have been trying to research specs on the camper and haven't had much luck finding them online and the owner wasn't sure of a few of my questions. Does your camper have electric brakes? What size beds are the bunks (I didn't have a measuring tape when we first looked at it)?

How do you like it after using it a few months? Would you buy it again?

Thanks for the help!

17. Tzigane

Tzigane New Member

May 13, 2018
    Central Illinois
    Hi! First off, YES! I would buy it again. Ours was in really good condition and well taken care of. Plus we knew the people we were buying it from so we trusted that they were telling us everything to the best of their ability to. We love it! So much better than a tent for sure, especially when it rains!! We spent 2 weeks in it this summer with 7 people (mom, dad, 18, 10, 9, 6 and 8 months) and it was fine.

Ours does not have electric brakes.

The beds are considered a queen and a full. On the larger bed I use a queen fitted sheet and it fits nicely. On the smaller one, I also use a queen and have to tuck it a little bit. A double/full sheet is too small. I am not sure on the actual measurements as the book doesn't say. Also I can't pop it up right now because we lost our crank handle on our last trip and haven't ordered a new one yet.

Hope this helps!

18. SJJ527

SJJ527 New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    That is helpful, thanks! What is the GVWR? We're towing with a mini van, so hoping it's not too heavy and handles well.

19. Tzigane

Tzigane New Member

May 13, 2018
    Central Illinois
    If you didn't know, there is a sticker on the door of one of the cabinets to the left when you open the trailer door. Here is the info from our sticker:
    GVWR- 2720 lbs
    UVW- 1921 lbs
    NCC- 799 lbs
    CCC- 578 lbs

Hope that helps. But also check our pop-up's sticker

20. SJJ527

SJJ527 New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Thank you! I couldn't find the sticker, but that's probably the one cabinet I didn't look in :)