Hello from Massachusetts!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Cuate01221, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Cuate01221

Cuate01221 New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Hey everyone! So after looking at pups for the past month, we finally pull the trigger on a 1996 jayco 1206! Its not exactly perfect, but for $600 I couldn't go wrong! For our first ever pup we are ecstatic!

Biggest issue was the rear right cable was somehow stuck in one of the pulleys, but after some careful prying I easily freed it and she popped right up! Were both in love and couldn't have asked for anything more!

I'm still learning how everything works and trying to figure out everything still. Previous owner said ac worked fine but he never used the heater. I cant figure out how to turn on the ac and none of the outlets have power as far as I know. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the battery being low on power and not having it plugged into my home power yet(different style plugs) but all interior and exterior lights work fine! Other issue is it started leaking at the ceiling seals recently but I've already bought new sealant to reseal the entire camper!

I'm not sure if I should start a new post on the few issues I've come across but I figured if some can give me a quick easy answer here I'd really appreciate it! Tomorrow I'll look further into things as it got dark shortly after getting it home.

I'm looking forward to sharing our adventures along the way and our renovations! Already have new paint for the cabinets, redoing the upholstery, and redoing the vinyl floor! I dont have many pics but I'll share what I have and get some better pics tomorrow! Enjoy!

Screenshot_20190209-224455_Facebook.jpg
    20190209_223453.jpg
    FB_IMG_1549769813450.jpg
    FB_IMG_1549770015730.jpg
    FB_IMG_1549770031093.jpg
    Screenshot_20190209-224451_Facebook.jpg

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome from N/W Fl Panhandle. Congrats on the NTU PUP. for more ideas on the re-model try www.thepopupprincess.com for more ideas. Good Luck and Happy Camping

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia from a former MA resident

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. Buy an adapter so you can plug it into, a least, a 12 gauge drop cord. See if there is a ground fault breaker close to the sink that needs to be reset. This may get your receptacles working.

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    awelcome.jpg
    Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline

6. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Congratulations on the NTU Pup and Welcome to the forum from Midway USA. [:)C]

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Welcome to PopUpPortal

9. Cuate01221

Cuate01221 New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Thanks to everyone for the warm welcoming! I bought an adapter to plug our pup into our home and all the power works great! Hooked up propane and stove works awesome as well!

I'm still trying to figure out the furnace though. The fan keeps running and I cant seem to find a switch to shut it off! It also has no heat coming out of it, just keeps blowing cold air from outside in. I found the thermostat and put it up all the way to 90, but I cant seem to find an on/off switch anywhere. If anyone has any idea I'm more than thankful for the help! I'll upload a pic of the furnace now so you guys can see what style it is.

Also my girlfriend spent the entire morning steam cleaning the canvas and wow what a difference! There was so many stains and now it looks amazing! Here's a few more pics to enjoy! Gonna have to start a new thread on our restoration soon!
    FB_IMG_1549827164487.jpg FB_IMG_1549827166777.jpg received_758465264526422.jpeg

10. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota! Thanks for the tip on steam cleaning! I never thought about doing that.

11. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Welcome from Oklahoma.

12. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Welcome from a fellow Massachusseten (spelling?). There is a lot of beautiful country out there. This year I am heading for Newfoundland.

13. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Welcome from Georgia! Nice find, especially for $600, and awesome that you could fix the biggest problem right away!

Gonna check the easy stuff first on the furnace. Do you have a propane tank? Is it full (or at least not empty)? Gas turned on at the tank? Pilot lit? (I assume it has a pilot.)

If your A/C unit is like mine, the controls are on the ceiling, directly under the compressor. You'll need 30A service to run it, though; household outlets generally give 15 to 20A.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    Welcome from Massachusetts!

15. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Welcome from Massachusetts!

We have a manual for that year on the Portal
    http://www.popupportal.com/resources/1996-jayco-camping-trailers.158/

The furnace directions are a bit thin....

Here's an atwood furnace manual (You could have suburban, or atwood)
    http://www.popupportal.com/resources/furnace-repair-hflamefurn04.466/

The thermostat should have a slide switch on the bottom that turns the unit off. This is usually the only control for the furnace.
    Your photo of the furnace shows that the front of the furnace has been taken off (It's just a cosmetic grill).

Take a look at the manual, it has a troubleshooting section at the back that has most of the most common issues.

16. Cuate01221

Cuate01221 New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Thank you guys for all the help! After further investigation, I ended up finding that the thermostat was no good! $20 later and everything works flawlessly! You guys here are really awesome and I appreciate all the help!!

17. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Jan 6, 2019
    STL
    Hi there from St Louis

18. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Yay! Yup, those thermostats aren't forever. When the in-laws had operating chicken houses, wife once told me "we have to replace a furnace." The furnaces were basically huge propane space heaters with squirrel cage fans. So her paid help and I (unpaid) swapped out the furnace (lots of hassle). And it didn't run. So we pulled the cover off the thermostat, to find it packed with dirt and chicken feathers (true story). We blew out the crud, to find a disconnected wire.

Ever since then, when she jumps directly to the most expensive and/or time-consuming "solution" to a problem, I'm constantly harping, "did you check the easy stuff?"

19. Cuate01221

Cuate01221 New Member

Feb 7, 2019
    Yes I was excited when everything turned right on! I always start at the cheapest option and work my way up on everything! I've also learned that the hard way but what is life if you dont learn from your mistakes!

Anyhow, next is to redo the seals on the outside and everything will be perfect(for us atleast)!

20. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

May 27, 2018
    GTA
    To funny, I am a Canadian heading to the your state to camp for the first time this summer. In fact it's our first U.S trip.

We met a fellow camper this summer and we were talking about Newfoundland. He said his late wife was not much of a camper. He planned a three week trip to Newfoundland and at the end she asked him to call his work and ask for another week off. Then at the end of that week she asked him to take another week off. He said it worth spending a month.