Hello from Southern California

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Marioleos01, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Marioleos01

Marioleos01 New Member

Just picked up a Coleman Sea Pine that needs a little work but overall in really good shape.
    Curious what would be an adequate size generator for this unit. Using in cold climates and not in the desert heat. Does not have a A/C unit fit to it so the power demand I am thinking would be on the lower side. I have a Honda EU3000, that is way too big and heavy to haul around for this size trailer. I have always been a Honda guy but am looking for feedback on the other generators out there and if they are quiet or similarly quite to the Honda EU line. It appears that all of the internet information is in conflict so I thought I would ask the end users at the portal.

Thank you in advance!

Mario

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

awelcome.jpg
    Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

I use a PowerHorse 2000 to charge my three batteries.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Welcome!
    What do you plan to use the generator for? I don't have AC either, so before I got a solar panel, I was just using my generator to run my battery charger on longer trips....
    I have one of the crappy little Harbor Freight models, but have also used the Honda EU2000.

I don't use the 110VAC outlets unless we have hookups, so our electrical requirements are pretty low....

Erik

Marioleos01 likes this.
  5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

Marioleos01 likes this.
  6. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Hello from St Louis

Marioleos01 likes this.
  7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia

Marioleos01 likes this.
  8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Can't help you on the generator but wanted to Welcome you to the forum from Midway USA. [:)C]

Marioleos01 likes this.
  9. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Welcome to PopUpPortal

Marioleos01 likes this.
  10. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

GO SOLAR! and welcome to the portal, from another SoCal'er

Marioleos01 likes this.
  11. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

The generator you need depends on what you want to power up. The thing that takes the most power is the A/C unit. If you don't have an A/C unit, then you can pretty much get buy with a smaller Gen. I like Honda too, but I can't afford their price tag. If you have a heater with a fan it will take a lot of power. Especially if you run the heater all night. I have a Solar panel for my small Viking 1906. The whole kit was only $184.00. It provides 100 Watts of power to keep my battery topped off.

Happy camping from a Mojave Desert Grandpa.

ezakoske likes this.
  12. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Welcome from Georgia!

First thing you need to do is take inventory of all your electrical devices. Not having A/C helps a lot, but you'll probably want lights, fans, maybe a water pump. Swapping the old incandescent bulbs for LED can save you a good bit of power draw at night, and are brighter anyway. Unfortunately, you can't do a lot about fans. You could save your battery by not using a furnace (assuming you have one)—a propane heater and a down comforter can keep you warm enough, as I found out in last weekend's Camp Driveway (lows were 34F/37F for the two nights). Popup Gizmos (a sort-of blanket that fits over the bunk ends) can help a lot with both heat reflection and heat retention.

You'll also have some overhead for the converter, propane leak alarm, etc. I calculated the Starflyer has 4.5Ah of overhead per 24 hours, for example (the current draw was in the manual). Then figure out how long you'll use fans and other motors throughout the day to get a ballpark daily requirement. Since you're in SoCal, you have a lot more sun to work with than most of the rest of us; solar is definitely an option. I have a 50W solar panel in my bedroom window, that looks out into the woods, and it's adequate to charge a phone. :D

Check the Boondocking and Green sub-forums; they've captured a lot of expertise that will give you a lot better info than my spitballing guesses.

Marioleos01 likes this.
  13. Grandpa Don

As I stated in an earlier post, running a heater all night will most likely leave you with a dead battery by morning. That's where the Solar panel would come in handy. An alternative would be the "Heater Buddy". You can connect it to a larger propane tank and it does not use any electricity. I prefer not to leave mine on all night for safety reason.

14. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!

Marioleos01 likes this.
  15. Marioleos01

Marioleos01 New Member

I use it in the Mammoth area when we are there for the fishing season. The main concern it to make certain the battery is fully charged for the evening but since it is a quiet area, not to be THAT GUY running the 6500 watt diesel genny......

16. Marioleos01

Marioleos01 New Member

Thanks for the info. I do have a solar panel but where we camp is mostly shaded. I still put it out and capture what I can. The main culperate is the heater fan. I will definitely look into the Gizmos over the end caps. I was not aware that someone made that product. I was looking to place a pop up canapé to try to save some of the heat. I did notice that some of the manufactures sold these with a removable skirt. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these as far as making a difference from retaining heat prospective. The laws of thermal-dynamics dictates that heat rises, but my thought is if that space becomes a dead space, it may help at least a little bit.

Thoughts?

17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from N/W Fl Panhandle. Good Luck and happy Camping

18. Grandpa Don

I installed a Solar panel system on my Viking. I didn't mount it on the roof though. I have a 25-foot extension line that was included in the 100 Watt Solar kit. I also park in the shade, but I can move my Solar panel around to find the sun. Also, I have a "Mr. Heater Buddy" for heat. It uses the small Propane bottles but can be hooked up to the main tank with an adapter. I have a spare tank that I use instead of the main tank. The tank stays outside and I run a 6 foot supply line into the camper through a small port. It does not use any electricity. The problem with it is that it does not have a way to regulate the heat output. It is either on Low or Hi. Depending on just how cold it is outside, Low would problaby be susficient.

19. Marioleos01

Marioleos01 New Member

That sounds good. I will look into the Heater Buddy and see if that will work out. Thanks.

20. SongCamper

SongCamper Active Member

Welcome!