Hello from Tennessee!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lean Downstream, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Lean Downstream

Lean Downstream New Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Middle Tennessee
    Hi all and thank you for adding me to the community! My small family enjoys camping in our Starcraft Venture that we've owned for about a year. We've been learning by trial and error, and hope to learn enough here to start avoiding more errors!

My husband and I met many years ago through white water rafting and kayaking, and now our little boy is big enough to start joining us on the river, where we spend most of our weekends. We usually stay in a campground close to whichever river we're paddling, and after many years of persuading, my husband finally talked me into buying the popup and leaving tent camping behind. I've told him about 500 times that he gets to say "told-you-so" for life, because I love our little camper! We have hookup about 30-50% of the time that we take it out. We'd like to start expanding our camping season to include more cold weather adventures, and will be scouring the boards for recommendations.

On whitewater message boards, we frequently close our posts with the acronym SYOTR (see you on the river!). What closing regards do campers use?

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Oconee river? been there.... loved it.

Lean Downstream likes this.
  3. Lean Downstream

Dec 5, 2018
    Middle Tennessee
    Yes! We spend lots of time at the Ocoee. It's one of our favorites :)

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia

5. Lean Downstream

Dec 5, 2018
    Middle Tennessee
    Thank you, joet! We hope to visit your mountains in a few years to run the Gauley and New rivers!

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Welcome to PopUpPortal.

No official post closing, you can use that same one in your signature as you do on the whitewater forum.

You will find however, The Portal is the friendliest forum on the Internet!

7. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    Welcome from South Central KY
    Plenty of good TN SP’s on the Plateau.

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Welcome to the board from central ohio. During the summer we will take the kayaks many times camping. Makes for a loaded car, but love to go yaking and camping

9. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    Welcome to the board! I am just curious what you do with the dogs when you do your 'yakking. I love to kayak. I can't leave my dogs at the campsite-- not usually allowed past 30 minutes' time. Dog boarding is expensive. Did you teach them to kayak with you, or do you have helpful dog boarding or relatives who help out?

10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

11. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    awelcome.jpg
    Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline.

13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    We have two midsize dogs around 65 lbs each. We go to state parks with electric hook up when yaking. There is no mention about leaving dogs during the day. But I have seen it mentioned in another state parks, may be it was PA.

But we leave them in the camper with some noise. We leave the AC or AC fan on and a radio on a talk show. We close the curtains. Our yaking is 6 hours or less. We always find they were not causing an issue when we ask the people around us. And, for our dogs it's unbelievable.

The other thing we try to do is pick a site that is far away from other campers on at least one side and not on the bussy road.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  14. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    FL state parks rules say pets cannot be left unattended in campsite more than 30 minutes. Whether on leash, in camping unit, whatever. Maybe in a hard side you can get away with longer, but not so easily in a PUP. One of my dogs has separation anxiety, anyway, if we are in an unfamiliar place.

15. Lean Downstream

Dec 5, 2018
    Middle Tennessee
    Most states tend to be a bit stricter than TN, who is fairly laid back about dog rules.

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I'm finding this to be a very friendly corner of the internet and look forward to learning from everyone's experiences.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  16. Lean Downstream

Dec 5, 2018
    Middle Tennessee
    We use a combination of techniques for our dogs. When we're near the Ocoee, they usually stay with my husband's godmother, who lives close by and let's our dogs join her dog in the house. Often times she is out on the river with us while our dogs enjoy their "Ocoee house." Most of the time we stay at private campgrounds with owners who have been understanding about letting us keep the dogs in the camper. They're exceptionally quiet and love laying in the AC on a hot day. If it is a small river, our little cur dog enjoys going down the river with us. He's usually put out with us if we leave him behind. Occasionally we have a non-paddling friend in our large network of friends who tent or hammock camp with us, and that person graciously volunteers to keep an eye on everyone's pups for the day. So far we've been able to make it work fairly easily. The camper has opened up how many trips we've been able to take the dogs along wit hus.

17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome from N/W Fl panhandle. I am glad you are using the PUP and I know your son loves it. Fla has one class 4-5 run (when the things are right) at Suwanee Springs, lots of rivers to run and also a coastal canoe trail. Good Luck and keep on camping

18. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Welcome to the forum from Midway USA. [:)C]

19. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the portal!

20. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Welcome from Oklahoma