Hello me diagnose my fresh water problem.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by mpking, Sep 3, 2018.

1. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    So we're camping and I notice the pump is cycling occasionally. I check around and see some dropping from the anode rid. No big deal, I'll tighten it when I get home.

The next day, the pump starts running, and doesn't shut off. It sounds like it wasn't priming.You know how it gets deeper when it's moving water. I shut the pump off and,I didn't check, but just filled the water tank. Turn the pump on, things seem fine.

The next day, the pump starts running. Same noise, not getting deeper. It must have run 5 minutes before I caught it. (I was doing things around the site, but not near the camper).
    I shut the pump off, and only start turning it in when I want to use it.

So. I'm faced with two thoughts.
    • The pump (16 years old) is going bad
    • There if a leak
    I didn't see any dripping water, and the sound changes make me think the pump.
    So before I spend $75 on a new pump, any way to diagnose this further?

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    If here was a leak.... you should be able to see it. Check valve in pump/system now holding. bad pump

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Look everywhere for a leak .........Then look again .......... Remember it may only leak when the pump stops running and the system is under pressure.

4. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Bad pump impeller maybe.

5. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    So two votes for a bad pump, and one for check for the leak again.

Guess I'm buying a new pump.

@Raycfe I'm about 99.9% positive there is no leak. That episode where the pump ran for 5 minutes pretty much proves it. At 2.8 GPM, I would have upwards of 10-15 gallons somewhere. The trailer was bone dry, as well as the ground around it.

6. Markomyt1

Markomyt1 New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Have you had time to swap the pump?

7. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Pump came yesterday. Plan on switching it out on Friday. (Hours before I leave for my last trip for the year. What could go wrong!)

8. WVhillbilly

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Next topic.
    How I camped for 4 days with no running water, and updates on my impending divorce [:D]

BikeNFish likes this.
  9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Some of the best entertainment at a campground is watching how other spouses set up camp!

WVhillbilly likes this.
  10. WVhillbilly

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    In the same weekend we watched a couple get into a screaming match just trying to back a little 19 ft camper into a spot.
    An hour later a guy came in my himself, towing about a 30 ft fifth wheel. The spots are not real big here so I expected some hilarity.
    Nope, he backed right in. Got out once to make sure he was back far enough, unhooked and set up camp.

An hour later when his wife and kids arrived he was all set up with the campfire built.

Some folks are just better at things than others. I just show my wife where I want the trailer tires and pretty much ignore any other signals a get.

11. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    I used this exact method last trip. Worked beautifully!