Help! 1997 Coleman Cheyenne ABS Repair

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Stryker3232, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Stryker3232

Stryker3232 New Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I think I understand what I need to do to fix the cracks (MEK/ABS) and bedliner on the top once repaired. Where I am struggling... missing pieces of ABS. I don't have the energy to completely remove the ABS so I would like to just fill in the missing spots before covering with bedliner. How do I do this? What products should I use?

Thank you!
    IMG_4242 (1).jpg IMG_4243.jpg IMG_4244.jpg

2. HotelRoyale

HotelRoyale Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Use the same ABS "goo" you use to fill in the cracks to cover those areas where the ABS has flaked off. I used a 50/50 mix of MEK and airsoft pellets to make my goo, I used it to fill the cracks and replace a few missing flakes ... but mine was nowhere near as bad as yours! Ugh, that's a classic case of delamination ... are you using Grizzly Grip bedliner? It worked great for me.

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I need to ask How long has it been sense you did your Roof and are there any issues now and is it stored indoors?

4. Montyrob

Montyrob Member

May 8, 2011
    Henrietta, NY
    I just bought UPOL Fiberal Lite to fill in the cracks and missing pieces, I'll let you know how it works

Stryker3232 likes this.
  5. Stryker3232

Stryker3232 New Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Thanks HotelRoyale! In your opinion would it be easier to just remove the outer ABS shell and Grizzly over the fiberglass?

6. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I wouldn't even bother with the ABS goo and patching....That looks way too far gone for that.
    Strip off the ABS and coat it with Grizzly Grip, Raptor, or whatever your bedliner of choice is.
    It'll be well worth your effort vs. trying to save your current ABS.
    My $0.02

Erik

LeighAnnD and Stryker3232 like this.
  7. NYR774

NYR774 New Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Western PA
    I just recently did this repair and I'm very happy with the results from completely removing the outer layer: http://www.popupportal.com/threads/grizzly-grip-roof-repair.117543/

I was geared up for it to be a big process but the roof was so debonded it actually came off pretty quickly. Looking at your pictures I think a putty knife would make quick work of the roof removal.

If you take any chunks of foam off with the roof you can fill in with bondo and then sand.

It will be some work now but probably less then trying to fill everything in and I think the end result will be much better.

8. Stryker3232

Stryker3232 New Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Thank you. I have started the abs removal process.

LeighAnnD likes this.
  9. Stryker3232

Stryker3232 New Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Is the awning rail glued to the abs roof? Any tips for how to remove?

10. NYR774

NYR774 New Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Western PA
    My awning rail was both glued and riveted. I drilled out the rivets and then pulled the awning rail off with a putty knife.

11. eagerbeaver

eagerbeaver New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Would love to see pictures of the restoration under way. :) I agree, peel that abs

Thanks

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Any chance to see some progress?

13. Firering

Firering New Member

May 24, 2014
    St Louis
    Good luck with your project. Check out my YouTube video on my roof project. STLF1BAR is my channel.

ezakoske likes this.
  14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    How about a link?

15. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I watched your series of vids on YouTube before embarking on my project - super helpful! Thanks so much for taking the time to make them!!

Erik