Help! Bunk ends leaking somehow!

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Amymill, Oct 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Amymill

Amymill New Member

Aug 4, 2017
    So we have had our PUP for a few months. Did a total remodel and have camped in her 3 Times now. This weekend we decided to make the 7 hour trip to the Smoky Mountains with four kids. Well, the rain came earlier than my weather app said and rained most of the weekend. I noticed some pillows that were close to the edge of the mattresses on the beds were wet. The canvas on the corners of the bed were also wet. There are no holes and the zipper windows were closed completely. What can I do to fix this?! We are planning a two week long trip next summer and I want this thing to be solid!

2. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Not sure how old the fabric is but you need to treat it to keep it water proofed. Not sure what with or how often but that might be a reason. Others will know more for sure.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    It may be condensation if you had everything closed up.
    Most canvas needs to be re-waterproofed from time to time, especially if it’s been cleaned. Sealing seams may be necessary too.

RockyRoo likes this.
  4. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Probably the seams if wet near the edges and corners. That is where run off will collect and be the wettest. A silicon based mink oil rubbed into the seams will solve that problem. Water proofing with an appropriate material will also help. Research your canvas material so you can use the appropriate product.

Amymill likes this.
  5. Amymill

Amymill New Member

Aug 4, 2017
    It’s a 98 Viking. It’s like military vinyl? That’s what the company told me when I called. Is that like a vinyl covered canvas?

6. Amymill

Amymill New Member

Aug 4, 2017
    Just made it home and immediately popped the camper up in the pole barn to air out. Plugged it in and running the ac fan along with other fans but EVERYTHING is soaked! Even my dinette cushions I JUST redid

7. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    I would go with the mink oil on the seams to begin with. I treat mine with kiwi. I won't hurt anything so there is nothing to loose. I'm not familiar with your specific material but anything vinyl based will be good with silicone based sealants. Stay away from petroleum and solvent based products as those break down vinyle.

Good luck

Amymill likes this.
  8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Was it wet when you closed it up?

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I bought seam sealer from Walmart and redid all my seams. That would be a place to start until you know what canvas you have. I know that my old Jayco had those old fashioned army tent material. That material you had to keep things from touching it when it's raining otherwise it seeped through. Much like nylon did in a regular tent if it rained. Also if your canvas was wet put away it could get the interior wet. Although my experience was its mainly the bunk ends that did.

Amymill likes this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I was reading how with the vinyl canvas you have to keep a window cracked open for ventilation when it rains as its prone to have a lot of condensation when it rains.

Amymill likes this.
  11. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I do recall in the old tent days anything that touched the tarp material on the inside somehow seeped in the water. Was rule number one to never touch the tarps on the inside hehe... Never saw any of this on the modern day Tent material.

When I first got my new 2008 OFF-ROAD POPUP I setup in the back yard to learn everything about it and walked out one morning and there was our two outside cats on the roof haha They left a few small holes which I dabbed some stuff from the camping store on it.

In my case I always put up 9x12 WALMART tarps over my two bed ends... Probably not the prettiest thing in the world but sure helped out cutting down on the very bright inside from the Sun during the day. The tarps all wrapped up good using stretch ropes. Now after a few years from 2008 my tent bed ends still look like brand new new. Poor man's gizmos...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Amymill likes this.
  12. Amymill

Amymill New Member

Aug 4, 2017

Yes. We were in the smokys in not stop rain.

13. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Have camped in the Smokies many many times. There is so much tree cover at ELKMONT where we like to stay it will drip rain water for days after a rain storm...
    [​IMG]

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

14. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The bunk ends tend to be prone to more condensation during the night - they are close overhead, and the person sleeping in the bunk emits a lot of moisture in breathing and sweating. This may even be a combination of issues - leaks and condensation.
    The best seam sealer we've used is by Gear-Aid (formerly labeled McNett). With our second pup, we had a seeping issue at the seam between the vinyl "skirt" and the main Sunbrella tenting, during an extremely wet Labor Day weekend. We used the seam sealer that has a brush applicator, which makes it easy to get it into the stitching well; we'd had much success with this product in tents too. (https://www.gearaid.com/collections/care-repair/products/seam-sure-tent-seam-sealer)

Amymill likes this.
  15. Amymill

Amymill New Member

Aug 4, 2017

That is exactly where we stayed!! It was our first time but I LOVE that campground!

16. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    We used to go there when it was just tent camping long ago... I like where it is located - Easy drive back to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge... Also can go into NC at Cherokee. We always do all our supplies shopping in Townsend and maybe only go to Gatlinburg/Pigeon just a couple of times in our usual week long camping trip there. We also love to do the CADES COVE Motor trail at dust each evening... Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is just too many peoples for us haha... However Pigeon Forge does has a real honest to goodness COLEMAN store haha... Gatlinburg makes the best breakfast Bar at Bennett's BBQ...

We always camp off our batteries and be sure you have selected the camp sites that allows you to use your generator at selected times to re-charge the batteries. It takes a three hour generator run time to get us back on track again each day...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Amymill likes this.
  17. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I would wager it is the seams for your windows. On mine the seams would allow water to weep inside at which point the interior portion of the canvas would allow it to soak down to the bottom. This would happen on all seams, both zippered and in the corners. I fixed it by replacing the whole canvas but that was because the stitching was rotted and kept ripping more on each trip.

On new canvas you have to do a couple soak and dry cycles to get the stitching to seal the thread holes. After that I think some annual water proofing would help.

My canvas has a vinyl outer covering so it may be different than yours. Mine does not need any waterproofing other than the seams.

Amymill likes this.
  18. Amymill

Amymill New Member

Aug 4, 2017
    I believe mine has the vinyl putter covering as well. can I just waterproof the seams? If so what do you recommend to use?

19. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    There are several seam sealer products available at outdoor stores, Walmart, etc. I referenced the one that we've had the best success with over the years a few replies up.

Amymill likes this.
  20. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    My owners manual advised to use Scotchguard Outdoor. I believe many have had good success with 303 products as well. The basic concept on the threads is that they swell slightly to completely fill the holes after a couple applications of water and drying cycles. Then apply waterproofing to help seal the thread so that it does not wick into the interior.