HELP Camper Collapse

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Wmeford, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Wmeford

Wmeford New Member

[PU] Ok so I have really screwed up. Without going into too much detail I overextended cable (thinking I was coming down and was obviously going up using drill to see if it worked on electric winch) and front collapsed. With help I have managed to get it back up and have now assessed damage. Went online and determined I have Goshen system. Front springs have come out of cable assembly (mater tube). My question How do I get them back in (top or bottom and how do I reattach them to cable. I guess I need to take the "cover" off the master tube to see whats up. Is that a problem as in is there anything that's going to come flying out when I take this apart? I also bent the Master Tube brackets and have taken one off to straighten it. Won't be able to put it back on till I take the other one off and straighten it. Is anything weird going to happen if I take them both off. Is anything under tension and will go "boing"? I've pushed the springs back in as far as I can, but they are still sticking out about 6 inches. I figure I can raise the top another inch or two and with the brackets straightened I get another 2 inches. Thanks in advance for any help. Feeling pretty stupid at this point. At least I'm home and not in the middle of nowhere.

2. budlight

budlight Member

If the camper is up the springs ARE under tension, do not disassemble! Work should be done with roof down if possible, otherwise brace the roof up making sure it cannot drop. Look up cable replacement for goshen system and it will walk you through putting the spring back in. Now is a good time to hand grease that spring You should have it back and working in about 1/2 hr. With out greasing, greasing by hand (smearing grease with your hand on the springs take a bit longer but is worth it

3. Gadgetman728

Gadgetman728 I live for the next adventure

The lift springs come in pairs, hooked together with a small holder and 2 Lag screws. They just slide into the and of the main tube. Take a look at the other end, if they are in the top, put the other end in the bottom. They don't attach to anything, you just push them in until they hit the pusher bar. Goshen Stamping sells them, just tell them your camper model.

As stated above, now is a good time to hand grease them, it makes going up & down a lot smoother.

This system is super simple, yet brilliantly designed. I just replaced mine, nothing to it.

4. Wmeford

Wmeford New Member

That's great. The springs are not broken and still together, just out of the main "tube" They were about four foot out and I have stuffed them back into their appropriate front tube going to the riser bars. I lack about 6 inches to getting them back into the cable tube. I think I can raise the roof another few inches and I think by straightening the brackets that hold the cable tube in place I can gain another inch or so.
    So let me get this straight. All I have to do is shove them back into the cable tube until they won't go anymore? It looks like there was a metal plate or something that went across the opening to the main tube, it seems to have sheared away when the springs came out. Is that a necessary part or can I do without it?

5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

If you have a Goshen system then you should be working on it when it is closed. Get some help and close the camper then the springs will be easy to work with.