Help! Cant get the cabinets out of my 94 Starcraft.

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by WinHac, May 17, 2018.

1. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Trying to get the cabinets out to get the floor redone but i have removed all the screws I have seen and the bugger wont budge. I have since removed the screws going into the counter and still cant get it out. What am I missing? 1994 Starcraft metorite.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    If I recall correctly, the cabinets are screwed and glued in my 94 Starflyer.

3. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Bummer so i should probably just paint them in place and work arond them you think?

4. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Unless you have to replace the floor, that's what I'd do.

5. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Yes i wanted to put in new flooring.

6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    You just need a bigger hammer. [:D] [:)C]

79venture and jnc like this.
  7. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I'm going to put in new floor too, but I'm not taking any cabinets out. If you plan on using the vinyl planks, it seems it would be easier with the cabinets in. Roll vinyl would be much easier to lay flat and unroll, but it would be heavier. I plan on using cheap peel and stick tile.

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

try sliding a putty knife under the edges. Maybe even tap it with a mallet.

9. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Seems like the bottom is free but something is keeping it attached to the wall.

10. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Yes using planks. But putting new trim on the cabinets and spraying them would be way easier with them out of the camper. Also getting the old floor out would help with weight and clearance.

11. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Setting everything up on saw horses and using a spray gun would make things easier and also a better finish. However, without removing the sides, would you remove the canvas to get the cabinets in and out?

The trim is a problem if you use quarter round - after installing the floor can you open the drawer or door nearest the floor? After laying the floor, I don't think I'll have room for quarter round. Just off the top of my head, if you have a table saw and router table, you could strip some 2x4's and trim out the edges. Unless you're like me and took the table top router table apart to build a cabinet. Another option might be to rip 2x4's and make small square trim and round the corner on a sander. If you don't want to bother with that, you could use square dowels from Lowe's.

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

@ryguyFam Can you help this guy get his cabinets out without killing his side walls?

WinHac likes this.
  13. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Removed all the mechanical fasteners I could find. Seems attached in the corners to the side walls somehow.

14. WinHac

WinHac New Member

Nov 30, 2016
    When I say trim i ment replacing the T-molding on the counter tops. That would go easier with them out of the camper. As well as refinishing the countertops.

15. Pozi

Pozi Member

Feb 17, 2016
    When I removed cabinets from my Starcraft I had to first remove the counter top. And IIRC, the top might have been attached to the side wall.

One thing to keep in mind for flooring. I used engineered hardwood and that added height threw everything off in relation to the side wall openings.

79venture likes this.