Help identifying model of my just acquired project Aliner

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by refrigman, Jul 12, 2017.

1. I will attach several photos. It needs a lot and has a little, but it was cheap. Tows well. Has 14" wheel off road option, AC, cabinet with furnace, sink, gas stove. Front dinette, rear sofa. 12' body, 15' overall. Front roof large window missing and covered. 1999 year. Scout? Ranger? What was available in 1999? What did I purchase? Thanks. 20170711_131006_resized_1.jpg 20170711_130743_resized.jpg 20170711_130804_resized.jpg 20170711_130826_resized.jpg 20170711_131109_resized.jpg

2. SteveP

SteveP Member

May 21, 2015
    The windows say Scout, but the Scout typically didn't come with appliances. They were optional however.

3. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Member

Nov 25, 2015
    There is a guy on Youtube named Slim Potatohead that makes Aliner videos and your Aliner looks a lot like his.

4. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Per NADAGuides,

No Scouts were out back then and your measurements (total length including tongue = 15FT) would be one of the following:

Aliner DL - sleeps 6
    Aliner LX - sleeps 4
    Aliner LXE - sleeps 4

Here's a link to NADAGuides for more information.

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1999/A-Liner

I would also contact the current manufacturer, CNW and ask them what version is your Aliner. Give them the VIN number. They may have the model information assigned to your Aliner VIN. They're very helpful whenever I've called.

Aliner: (724)237-5227

Good luck.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

5. JoePAz

JoePAz Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Looks very similar to my new Ranger 12 in layout. However if it a 1999 I am not sure what the models were called back then.

That said given how old the unit is and the current condition you have really a project and you can make it into whatever you want.

6. There used to be, I think, a large horizontal front window in the lower portion of the front roof, besides the hard side windows on both sides, and door w/ window, plus two vents in the front roof only, none in rear. Also, it is titled as a "sofa" model, which seems like an option, not a model, so the actual model, may have to be determined, maybe by calling CNW. Thanks for the suggestions.

7. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Man what a shame to see something so beat up like that the previous owners must have been pieces of work!!!

8. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    looking at your picture I don't think you have it raised correctly.

9. Is there a way to raise it incorrectly? If the front roof slot is over the top of the back roof, is there any other way for it to be? There are no lift assists other than the coil springs which do lose contact with the top when only partially lifted (coil springs weak?). There are no bungees. The left front corner is separated. The front roof is somewhat out of alignment as a result of the separation. Plus I have it parked sideways on a slope so that tends to misalign everything. The side walls, particularly on the down hill side do not meet the roof sections evenly, though when on a level surface that was better, but not very good. It aligned better both when up and when down on a level surface so that seems to be part of the problem on a slope. Also more lift assist seems needed. I have lots to do, but with only about $500 invested in purchase I have a lot of wiggle room on fix up cost for 'projects". And being retired I have time available. I will be seeking utility level rather than perfection--make it usable and nicer if not "back to new." And I will need lots of advice. Thanks in advance. Dave

10. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    the roof sections come together perfectly at the top on my A-Liner I don't see why yours wouldn't do that too. Here is a thought when I raise my roof I have to go to the other side to sort of snap it together. I think that is your problem try going there and aligning it I think that will fix it!

11. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE
    temp.jpg

Appears the box is coming apart at the seams. That might the first thing to fix. Once the box is square and solid you can work on the coil springs to help raise the roof. If you have time and are in no hurry, it may wind up just fine.

12. Definitely coming apart at left front and left rear. Been open to water for years. Though in Tucson where water is definitely seasonal it has still screwed with the plywood along that seam. The floors, amazingly seem solid, but I have more checking to do there. Also need to check top seams where sides meet roof once it is on a level surface and after the corners are aligned after repairs.
    My thinking is to put 2" x 2" vertical wood corners inside the open corners to give screws from outside front and side and back and side something solid to screw into as the plywood into which screws now go is delaminated, plus screwing into the side of plywood is never a good idea. I am thinking of using 2"x2" aluminum angle vertically along the entire outside of the corners with screws going through that from the outside into the 2" x2" solid wood interior uprights I install after placing the rig on level ground and maybe using ratcheting straps to wrap around the open corners and cinch them closed. Might be worth buying long pipes and sliding pipe clamps to make giant adjustable cabinet worker type gluing clamps from corner to corner to pull the corners together. But it may not require that kind of pull to align. Won't know until I try it.

bob barnes likes this.
  13. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    good luck

14. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    I am thinking your 2x2 idea will work with the addition of some clamps.