Help...Shadows on Popup Wall at night...

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Camping_vca, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Camping_vca

Camping_vca New Member

Hi. We just had our 2nd camping trip in our new 2019 ESP 1910 and it was so much fun. We absolutely love it.

One thing I noticed though is that when the inside lights are on, our shadows are visible outside thru the window curtains and canvas areas. Yikes! There really isn't any privacy.

Has anyone come up with a way to fix this? I'm thinking of putting up extra fabric throughout the camper but wonder if someone has come up with the best way to do this or some other idea.

Thanks so much! This seems like such a great community and I'm very happy to be here.

1380ken likes this.
  2. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

All I know is reflectix in the windows and light blocking curtains do a good job.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Don’t turn the lights on ;)

Seriously though I turn on a bunk end light and leave the rest of the camper dark.

HappyTraveler and kcsa75 like this.
  4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Replace your popup with a travel trailer! It's called The Darkside for a reason! :tongue:

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. Camping_vca

Camping_vca New Member

Thanks, Dave!

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

You mean like this:

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Unless you are doing something naughty I wouldn't worry too much. No different than a tent. However, you could add light blocking curtain panels, or reflectix in your windows. I added reflectix, not for privacy but for better temperature control (I live in TX so the summers are brutal even with A/C). They block pretty much most of the light.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

A popup is after all a tent. However what I did is replace the curtains in the main cabin with actual blackout curtains the curtains that come with the trailer are pretty thin and hardly do anything keeping light or shadows out. With the black out curtains it help keep things darker and even helps with keeping the heat from coming in as well. Reflectix in the bunkend windows will help with shadows if your really concerned. However I personally just get dressed in the dark or in the main cabin of the camper.

9. Camping_vca

Camping_vca New Member

Thank you to all who responded. Your input helped and I have a plan, or at least some things to try when I go camping next time.

I'm going to put Reflectix in the bunkend windows, and I'm going to try some window shades along the wall of the camper nestled behind the curtains for the side windows. (The silver kind that fold up to a disc.)

I decided to try windows shades because they're easy to put up at night and take down during the day, and I have some on hand to try before buying some that will fit better.

I'll post pictures of how it all looks when I go camping in July.

Thanks again!

10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

The obvious thing would be to camp in a site that is private.

11. IndyRick

IndyRick Member

Shadows are created by point-source lights (individual light bulbs). If you turn on more bulbs, their light will fill in the shadows created by other bulbs. If you switch to line-source lights (LED strip lights), shadows will be practically unnoticeable.

12. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Who cares ?

13. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Good suggestions, but I quit worrying about people looking and what they may see long ago. The one thing that I would be a little concerned with someone seeing the DW isn't going to be interested in with kids in the PUP.:(

indieiggy and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I didnt beforehand, now I'm going to look at every pop up at night because of this thread. Lol.

15. CarlaCB

CarlaCB Member

Jeez...and I thought that the problem with having no shower curtain was just the splashing on the floor! [:I]

16. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Stop doing it with the lights on?

I can't imagine what else you'd be doing that would even cause you to worry about this.

It also helps if you don't camp at RV parks where the next camper is 5 feet away.

indieiggy, gladecreekwy and Orchid like this.