Help, what are these?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by ValleyRider, Sep 15, 2018.

  1. ValleyRider

    ValleyRider New Member

    Sep 13, 2018

    Ok, first time popup owner who just purchased a new to 2001 Flagstaff 176. It’s a small no frills camper that i’d Hope would make a great starter and get the family into camping before upgrading.

    Just opened it for the first time and getting to know it. Got it mostly figured out (and getting a list of stuff to repair/replace together).
    But I’m stumped on what these two ports are. They’re right where our sink is, above and to the front of our fresh water tank.

    The P/O said there was no city water hookup and there’s no mention in our manual.

    Good people, what are they?
  2. jmkay1

    jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

    Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    The plastic one, I think, is the port to fill your on board tanks. You said according to the prior owner there is no city water hook up, well I've never seen a camper not have city water unless someone modified the camper to make it not have it. With that said the location of the other hookup looks like it may have been a city water hookup plugged up, unless it's the gray water output if your able to take the cap off. I don't have this brand camper so I may be wrong with my assumption.
  3. erond

    erond Member

    Aug 10, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    They are caps. Open them and look. :)

    One looks like it might be street water. The other, maybe, cable TV.
  4. Solo camper

    Solo camper Member

    Apr 23, 2018
    West virginia
    One is for catching grey water from your sink. Other is for water hookup from a public water source. You will need a pressure reducer for that one.
    jnc, nineoaks2004 and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. tombiasi

    tombiasi Well-Known Member

    Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Street water and sink drain.
    Sjm9911 and jmkay1 like this.
  6. ValleyRider

    ValleyRider New Member

    Sep 13, 2018
    Wow, thanks. City water is great news. Didn’t sound right when the P/O told me it didn’t have a hookup (but he also said there wasn’t rot and that’s definitely not true either).

    And I wish the other were for cable hookups, but given how spartan the rest of the camper is true, seems unlikely. Fingers crossed you’re right!
    Orchid likes this.
  7. Orchid

    Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

    You definitely have city water hook up and a drain, but looks like the one is plugged up with something.

    Our old camper actually does have a cable hook up. :laugh: I laughed so hard when I found it. It's the first pop up I had seen with cable. The hook up is on or near the rear bumper (we've only used it a couple times and DH hooked it up) and the length of cable inside was rolled up in the very back of a cabinet under the galley.

    I found the cable when doing my original cleaning and couldn't believe it. I went outside and found the actual inlet and announced to DH that we are at the top of the food chain now! We have cable! [LOL] There is only one place we go that actually has cable TV at their sites, as we mostly camp at state parks, but still a fun option to tell people about.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    ValleyRider likes this.
  8. Fless

    Fless Active Member

    One could use the "cable" connector to bring in signals from an over-the-air antenna. All it does is make a nice connection between the outside and the cabin. It should all be 75 ohm (technically 72 ohm) cable, RG59 or RG6. TMI for most.
  9. ValleyRider

    ValleyRider New Member

    Sep 13, 2018
    Ha. Score!! That’s funny. Yeah thy plug-like-object just spins when I tried to investigate initially. Had to leave town for a work trip but plan to dig in there when I get home next week. Killing me to not be able to fixed and figured out right away:sad:
  10. Orchid

    Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

    It looks like someone just jammed the plastic cover in there. I would stab it with a knife in the middle, and pull it out. You can't hurt anything. It's under $10 to replace the whole hose port anyway, and they are standard size. You can order them on Amazon.
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Snow

    Snow Well-Known Member

    Jul 19, 2007
    It is a rubber plug.. Quite common on trailers to cap the City line when not in use.. My Palomino pup used one. Normally there should be a tab that you would pull on to pop it off..

    ValleyRider likes this.
  12. ValleyRider

    ValleyRider New Member

    Sep 13, 2018
    Thanks Snow. Just ordered a new hose port based on Orchid’s suggestion and will look at a new plug too. Really appreciate all the help.
    Orchid and Snow like this.
  13. BillyMc

    BillyMc Active Member

    Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    Hookups for your sink. Make sure they haven't been disconnected before you turn on water. Also be inside when someone turns on the water to see if something is leaking. We keep the water turned off during periods of it not being used like while sleeping or going to be out of the camper for a while.
    ValleyRider likes this.

Share This Page