Help with my tire pressure - newbie

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Woodfaerie, Jun 23, 2019.

1. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Our Cape Cod originally shipped with 4-ply tires(load range B), 35 psi max, according to the owners manual. When we bought it, it had load range C tires on it, 65 psi max which is what they were aired up to. When I bought tires for it, They were load range E, I know overkill, but the price was cheaper than Cs. Anyway they're rated for 95 psi. We run them at 65 psi, no problems....we're on year 2 with them.

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

I absolutely agree with you, but you may get a great many responses on this forum from those who adamantly disagree. A certain well know vendor of trailer tires responded directly to me on the subject - basically saying that they are obliged to repeat what the manufacturer says. In my experience Manufacturers sometimes say what their lawyers and risk managers tell them to say (ignoring the engineers). I once overinflated the cars on my impala wagon - dang that was a scary harsh ride - I drove directly to the nearest gas station and reset my tire pressures. On my last trip I used an external-to-valve-stem TPMS to monitor my tire's pressure and (sort of) temperature - that was interesting and good to have.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Probably nothing to worry about.
    Some people don't realize it's not just the load but the entire characteristics of the side wall that are changed.

4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Wow. 100 psi does anyone out there drive dirt at that pressure? Trailer would rattle to pieces

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  5. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

My tires are radials. Pup weighs about 1500lbs. Load range D, sidewall says 105psi cold. Holding up well so far.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  6. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

The last 2 miles of our annual 4th of July trip are two track roads. She handles great.

7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

EF26EAAB-3A17-46F2-9BF9-6D0445569BD3.jpeg
    I think a portable compressor should be standard equipment when towing trailers. I’m very happy with the virair 88p that I picked up last year. No problem getting to 100psi. Don’t recommend any cheepos and not the kind that plug into lighters.

Anthony Hitchings likes this.
  8. Anthony Hitchings

One could lower tire pressures off road AND slow down. I chose just to slow down a lot, though my tires were already deliberately a bit below the sidewall max cold pressure (when cold) and I had a TPMS reporting pressure and temp.

Minimalist likes this.
  9. tombiasi

I you get a chance can you take a picture of the tire sidewall where it says "Max" cold pressure.

10. Anthony Hitchings

Attached Files:

11. Anthony Hitchings

it says Max Load 1050 Lbs at 80 psi cold

so 1050 Lbs is related to 80 psi

it does NOT say that you can NOT run it at less than 80 psi if you have less load (caps for emphasis :)

12. tombiasi

The problem is you are reading what's not there to suit yourself. You have no basis for selecting a pressure.
    I know by now you are going to do as you please.
    You asked for advice here and did everything to discredit all the advice.
    I am done with this topic.
    Happy camping.

13. Anthony Hitchings

OK by me - and I will be camping happy :)

BTW - the orange dust is from Cedar Mesa, 15 miles down a dirt road after 1,000 miles of pavement. And then the same back to home. No problems at all with either road tire (or the spare).

As for "discrediting advice" - well - its only advice, its not a directive to an employee. Advice is freely given, there is no obligation on the receiving end. I do read what folks write, and I also parse it as taught by my lawyer colleagues at work. And I occasionally change my position on a particular subject. Life is rarely black and white, except on the subject of death, and even there it is often argued that one color is the other. I would suggest that you take less offense at differing opinions; if you only met me in person you might find that we have much in common.

14. tombiasi

I have no problems with different opinions, and I certainly don't have any problem with you personally.

15. Minimalist

Minimalist Member

I am tired but didn't he exactly read what was written? What do you read?

16. tombiasi

He read "1050 Lbs. is related to 80 psi" to imply that less than 1050 Lbs. he could use less pressure. It doesn't say that.

17. Minimalist

Minimalist Member

There is also nothing saying do not use at lower pressures. IMO he reads it exactly as written. If you are so adamant about using the max pressure all the time, are you using a calibrated pump or pressure tester?

18. tombiasi

Ok, not worth the time. It doesn't say maximum pressure, it tells you the pressure to meet design specs.
    Do as you wish. I really don't care.

19. Minimalist

Minimalist Member

You are correct. It doesn't say max. pressure. But it still only says max load at x pressure. Nothing more or nothing less.

20. Anthony Hitchings

to get back on topic, as well as seeking out higher pressure air for the poster’s tires, he needs a good tire gage , preferably two that agree, that are trustworthy. Easier said than done. I have a digital and a dial type, the pencil gages vary too much.

Recently, for Walmart on auto tires, I put 33 psi on my work order, same as on door pillar for OEM tire size, which I was installing. Walmart put 35 psi on their as-built worksheet , actual pressure was 38.5 psi. One must remain vigilant.