Hey You With the Portable A/C - I Need Pics!

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by BikeNFish, Feb 18, 2018.

1. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

My pup does not have A/C, but living in Minnesota, I rarely need it. However, on those rare occasions that it gets blazing hot and humid, I have wished that I had it. There is no chance that I will add a roof unit, so I am seriously thinking about purchasing a portable A/C unit.

I am looking for information mostly about installation experiences from those of you that use portable A/C units in your pups or have experienced it first hand.

But most of all, PLEASE INCLUDE PICTURES of the unit in your pup if you have any. Pictures seem to be few and far between anywhere on the internet. I especially would like to see how you place your exhaust hose.

Thank you!

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Sorry I dont have AC ether but I just watched a bunch of youtube videos. One guy even installed a mini split unit!

Faboo2bme2 likes this.
  3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I don't have photos of it set up but we have floor model AC similar to what's in the photo below. I set it on on the counter, then put the exhaust hose between the screen and window cover. I use the zipper to close the flap as much as possible and hold the exhaust in place. There is a small gap around the hose, but not enough to make a difference.
    We don't normally use the AC until we go to bed, but that unit will freeze you out. I remember July 4 weekend a couple years ago where it was near 100 degrees in the shade and I was pulling the blanket up around my neck. [:)C]

fca452ff-502d-44b6-8f8e-1ce8afe6ab9e_1.a515a1fbc8edb5b828d654fe8ddf7c5d.jpeg

BikeNFish and Tracy D. like this.
  4. BikeNFish

Yeah, I've watched a lot of videos too. I learned a lot of things NOT to do from them.

jnc likes this.
  5. BikeNFish

Thanks for the reply!

Question 1 - Do you know how many BTU's your unit is?

Question 2 - Does the screen get dirty when you exhaust through it? I am imagining that the screen would get kind of "gunky" after awhile. I was thinking of unzipping enough of the canvas zipper between the sidewall and the bunk end to exhausting from there if it made the screen gunky.

6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Not sure on the BTUs, but think it's 11,000 BTU.

We've never had any problem with screens getting "gunky" or anything else. I think putting the exhaust by the bunk end would work well.

BikeNFish likes this.
  7. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

I don't have a/c either but I remember awhile ago someone posting they bring a small window unit and put it on a table outside. They butt it up to the window and blow air in that way.

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have a 8500 BTU that I used in my Apache. I put the hose right up against the screen in the exact same spot over and over. At worst, there was a little dust circle on the screen.

9. KINGNOTHIN6

KINGNOTHIN6 New Member

Sorry no pics either, but I use a 8,000 but portable much like the one pictured above. I have zippers at each lift post so I put the hose outside and close the zipper as far as I can. This gave me a much better seal the sticking it up against the screen. Also I want to mention our first time using it, it rolled off the counter after accidently being pushed. So I place two pieces of 2x4 to keep the wheels from touching.

kcsa75 and BikeNFish like this.
  10. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

We use a portable unit as well, set ip on the counter, run the hose out the zipper, drape a blanket over the hose and run an extra fan to circulate the air. It is 10 or 12 k. We used it in MD 2 years ago, when the heat index was 105 during the day, it helped at night to keep the humidity down and bring the temp down. we weren't inside during the day, so we don't know how it would have handled it.

One thing to note is some of the models need to sit upright for up to 24 hours before they can be used. My unit fits standing up in the doorway when closed. Only used it the one trip, may use it again this summer in VA. We don't need it in NH, ME or NY our main areas we camp.

BikeNFish likes this.
  11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Mine was OK laying down. I stored on its side in the camper when not in use. It was probably stood upright no more than 10 minutes before being powered up. It's about 10 years old and still works.

12. Norseman79

Norseman79 New Member

We're in MN too. Also new to the pop up game. This 6000 btu set up with a couple fans had worked great! 20180630_170429.jpg 20180630_170409.jpg 20180630_170429.jpg 20180630_104422.jpg

13. Daisy on my toe

Daisy on my toe Active Member

We have only used ours a few times so I don't have any pictures, sorry. We have a tower type ac unit. we put it up on the counter and push the tube out through the zipper for the emergency exit, we push a towel in around it to fill in the voids. We have used to on a couple of 90+ degree days and it has kept the pup cool especially at night.

It is supposed to be upright, so we transport it upright in the cab of our TV.

14. Just1Rick

Just1Rick New Member

We're familiar with the rolling portable AC units, so we've decided to go that route with our NTU 2001 Jayco UD10. I decided to try for a requirement that it fit upright inside the PUP when folded for transportation (we only have 22" between the floor and the folded beds). As far as I can tell, that locks me onto a single model (link and title below) - I'm not sure what model 3hooligans has, but this is the only one I could find. The dimensions are officially 18’’ (L) x 14’’ (W) x 21’’ (H), which means that it can go on either of two counters, or in front of the door. That model does not have reviews yet, but there are similar units by the same company that have decent reviews.

I'm initially not going to do anything permanent to the PUP, so for this summer, I'll either tuck the exhaust hose through a mostly closed window like many other people have done on this thread, or run it between a bed and an outside wall. I haven't seen others do this, but I'm thinking of cutting a round hole in the floor of one of the cabinets and installing a removable plastic plug. To use the unit, I'll run the house through the hole, but when it's put away, I'll plug the hole and close the cabinet.

I've also thought of exhausting the air through the ceiling vent, but that might make it where we can't use the AC while it's raining, so I'm leaning away from that. I don't want to cut any holes in the ceiling, but would also consider a dryer style vent through the lower wall.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D5THKKK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    COSTWAY 10000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner Unit with Dehumidifier & Fan for Rooms up to 200 Sq. Ft. with Remote Control, LCD Display, and Casters

15. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

16. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have an 8k Haier that fits under my bunks when it is in travel mode. However - I think mine is 24". Honeywell also makes a pretty short A/C.