Hi and question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mongoose, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Mongoose

Mongoose New Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Hi,

We just were given a '91 Coleman Williamsburg. It's in great shape except for some smell in the roof area. We were told the AC drips and there is a musty smell from the ceiling plus water damaged spots.

Not sure if we'll like a pop up tenting as we have never used one before. We are in the Midwest and camp locally and in southern Canada. Family of 4 plus dog.

Couple of questions
    1. Other than airing it out and cleaning, is there anything we should do before our trip in a couple of weeks?

2. Anything we can do to temporarily diminish the smell from the ceiling? Eventually if we like it otherwise we'll probably rebuild the roof but we were wondering about potential short term solutions.

Thanks....

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the West Virginia mountains.
    Since you don't know much history of the pup. Before I would venture off is to repack wheel bearings. Check age of and condition of tires and replace if over 5 years old

Orchid likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    6ad4135f4a202c41426d6f8c1f8a6abc--welcome-to-group.jpg Welcome from the Connecticut shoreline

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    ^ x 2

5. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Welcome from Central N.Y.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
  7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The Ac probably needs a new gasket. Take it out and clean it and around the opening. This will tell you a lot about the condition of the roof. The best way to get rid of the smell is cleaning and than cook a few pounds of Bacon in it. If the Bacon isn't enuff park it down wind of a smokey camp fire with all the windows open.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome to the portal from N/W Fl Panhandle. Congrats on the NTU PUP. If the roof smells probably the AC Gasket is bad and needs to be replaced, but if it smells the insulation could be wet too. jnc has the idea, also do as joet recommended and check the wheel bearings and check the tires really goo too for cracks and or deterioration. Good Luck and Happy Camping

9. Mongoose

Mongoose New Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Thanks. We will do the bearings and get the tires replaced. I think we will pull the AC out and replace it with a vent cover. We won't use the AC anyway.

I will stuff some DampRid in there today and we'll re-evaluate Thursday. Appreciate the welcomes and feedback!

10. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA! Hope you get your odor issue under control.

11. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!

12. Mongoose

Mongoose New Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Update: I put DampRid into the closed trailer last night. When I opened it to put the tub in (I got the largest size figuring overkill might help), there was a blast of musty smell. Just checked it this morning, no musty smell blasted out when I opened the step/door. Stuck my head in, still no musty smell. Maybe we'll get lucky? Full opening will wait until Thursday pm. We have the weekend cleared out to work on it. After reading a lot here, I do want to reseal the roof and deal with the AC gasket.

jnc likes this.
  13. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Cool, fingers crossed.

14. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

[LOL] I was going to suggest a new a/c gasket that will allow you a peek at the interior of the roof as well. However, I am not creative enough for the "bacon cure," but that sounds like a plan to me!

15. Mongoose

Mongoose New Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Good news! The smell is basically undetectable tonight! The extra large DampRid container is completely full and we'll be getting another one. The electricity has been tried and the lights and plugs work. I'm very excited about the possibility of having a dry place to sleep out of the bugs! Never had anything but cheap tents and flashlights before. Kids have declared their undying love for the pop-up already.

We do have a ceiling issue. The area around the AC has soft wood and the vinyl is hanging off the board (luan? Still learning how these are made!). The vinyl covering was not hanging down before. I wonder if it is now because the moisture has been lessened and so it finally let loose? We are going to leave the pop up open overnight and start trying to rectify that over the weekend. On tap: replace AC seal, check top for gaps and seal, check for leaks, remove/replace the vinyl and perhaps damaged luan. I guess we'll have to use the hose to check for leaks since we aren't due for any rain in the near future. We'll also probably lube the bed slider tracks and figure out how the wheel bearings can be repacked. DH probably already knows how to do this but I have no clue.

BelchFire, Orchid and WVhillbilly like this.
  16. Mongoose

Mongoose New Member

Jun 4, 2018
    We have removed the AC part way and there appears to be no bracing. ????? Confused at this point. Is the AC being supported by the roof? The luan and foam for that half of the unit are wet. Foam is very wet but we haven't seen any mold and the smell is gone.

We don't have a ton of time (basically this weekend) to work on this before our trip. AC is coming out. We're also going to remove the aluminum rails on top I think and seal the top. We're going to replace the AC with a vent. Fan or no fan??? Opinions welcome!

BelchFire likes this.
  17. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Max-Air or Fantastic-Fan are the best the others are toys.

18. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Get the fan, then add the a.c. back when you got time. It gets hot in these things!

19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Why would you take out the a/c and replace with a fan? I think you regret that. Just let it dry out and replace the gasket, then re-install the a/c.

20. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I think it's a two day countdown untill there trip!