Hi from SW Ohio! New to us popup!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JasonKrieg, Sep 12, 2018.

1. JasonKrieg

JasonKrieg New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Hello from SW Ohio, we just purchased our first camper, a 2014 Rockwood Freedom 2560G. We are so excited and hoping to get a couple of camping trips in before the long Ohio winter encroaches....

I have some questions about cleaning, what my tent material is and what to use (I read the manual and cannot quickly locate much information on that) I can ask those on another forum if that is better, just let me know!

IMG_3367.jpg IMG_3366.jpg IMG_3350.JPG

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota. Congrats on your NTU pup!

There are a bunch of previous threads on the subject of the canvas. HERE is just one. Hope it helps.

3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Congratulations on the NTU Pup and Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

DW bought some stuff at Bass Pro Shop for cleaning the canvas that came highly recommended. I think it was in the boat section. [:)C]

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    awelcome.jpg
    Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline.

5. JasonKrieg

JasonKrieg New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Thanks! I have looked through a lot of the forums here on cleaning the vinyl and canvas. I still have not found anything very definitive and am wondering if I can just use the 303 products. I do need to put something on my canvas to waterproof it, it rained for 3 days straight (8-10 inches) prior to us looking at the camper, the only water inside was a small amount of moisture wicking through the canvas, not enough to even run. The inside was just moist to touch. I know I need to give the canvas and vinyl a good cleaning, and I have read the information from popup princess, I just don't want to put anything on the material that will cause damage. The only thing the manual recommends is oxyclean for the vinyl, it says nothing about the canvas material, does anyone know what the canvas material is on a Rockwood Freedom?

6. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I don't know about the Rockwell specifically, but the 303 products work well. Welcome from Oklahoma.

7. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the West Virginia mountains... Enjoy your pup

9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Welcome from central Ohio. East of buckeye lake.

Read the manual for cleaning the canvas. Our's said to use dawn. If you use the wrong chemicals it can be a problem with the materials use by the manufactures.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome from N/W Fl Panhandle. Congrats on the NTU PUP. I wish ya'll many great adventures in the future with the Rockwood. Good Luck and Happy Camping

11. JasonKrieg

JasonKrieg New Member

Feb 1, 2018

Thanks! I read through the manual and it says to use oxyclean on the vinyl, provides no guidance on cleaning the canvas material. I’m not sure what to do.

12. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I would follow the direction on the oxyclean for mixing. I would Scrub with rag and if needed a soft brush.

13. JasonKrieg

JasonKrieg New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Thanks everyone. I was able to speak with both Forrest River and TJ Snuggles (the manufacturer of the Tents for Forrest River). They recommend using Oxyclean for the vinyl to clean and then rinse it off good, they do not recommend using any vinyl conditioner as it will break down the vinyl product over time. As far as the canvas, they said to clean with water and soft brush, and if necessary to add some waterproofing, apply Scotch Guard with green cap, spray it on both sides of the canvas only! For any of the seems where there is a concern for water coming in the recommendation is to apply beeswax. Hopefully this information will help someone else!

14. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA!