Hitch bike rack on the back of the camper

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by mickeytopher, Sep 17, 2014.

1. mickeytopher

mickeytopher Member

May 20, 2013
    I have a hitch mounted bike rack, well long story short having a trailer and the bike rack sharing the same space made towing a real P.I.T.A. Has anyone made a mount for a hitch rack in the back of the camper off of the frame?

2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    Lots of threads on the subject. Use the search function for rear mounted bike rack and see [:D]
    A short version is: Not the best idea as it can significantly change the tongue weight and cause swaying problems. AND the rear bumpers on a pup are flimsy at best. (yes I know you said frame, but I had to add the thin bumper comment [;)] )

3. Ziggs76

Ziggs76 Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]
    Can be done. I have been successful using my set up. Many people have had problems with lack of tongue weight causing sway, and with bumpers bending and falling off. If the receiver is installed with bracing to the frame and the weight of the bikes can be offset with addition batteries, propane tanks, etc. (being careful not to go over the maximum tongue weigh) it does work.

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

As they "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would all have a very Merry Christmas"

bols2Dawall likes this.
  5. mickeytopher

mickeytopher Member

May 20, 2013
    and now for something totally different....

I saw something about the tongue weight shifting, but I just wanted to work with what I had. How do you measure tongue weight, or should I figure the difference with the weight that I put on the back?

6. Ziggs76

Ziggs76 Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    You can counter the weight just by the way you load the trailer. Heavier items in front on the axle. You can check the tongue weight at the CAT scales at a truck stop or there is a way to do it with a bathroom scale. If you search this site I think someone did a write up on it.

7. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2010
    You either buy a tongue weight scale from eTrailer or use a bathroom scale on top of something to reach the tongue. Lower the tongue jack so the tongue is totally resting on the scale.

8. ManiN

ManiN Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Just put the scale on the ground and use a small piece of wood to transfer the force. If you can't zero the scale, don't worry about it. The weight of the piece of wood is negligible. Set the board on the scale, then tongue on the board, and you'll get a reading.

I think most would be surprised at how much weight you'll need to add just before the axle to counter weight way off the back bumper. Leverage principles apply. Weight x distance from fulcrum.

9. rideon

rideon Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I fabricated a new bumper with a built in receiver for my pup. I installed a 4-bike rack with 4 bikes and it towed well. Never had any sway issues. It can be done.

10. jman1200

jman1200 http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/

Nov 11, 2013
    Ontario
    Added a hitch receiver yes, but not for bikes but for a cargo carrier.
    Colemans have solid frame to bolt on, don't try to add one to the original bumper.
    I carry more load than what 4 bikes would weigh, so far never had sway issues but I do have a sway bar. I also try to compensate by adding some weight on the front.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jbone

jbone New Member

Jul 27, 2011
  12. mickeytopher

mickeytopher Member

May 20, 2013
  13. jbone

jbone New Member

Jul 27, 2011
  14. mickeytopher

mickeytopher Member

May 20, 2013
    Would I need to do any reinforcement to the frame?

15. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I reinforced the affected structure with a couple pieces of steel right angle. [;)]

Check out the "Bike rack mod fail" post for pics and ideas. :)

16. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

Jun 24, 2014
    I have already added a second propane tank and battery to my tongue weight so have been looking for a rear mount bike rack.. Knowing the rear bumper was too weak these fit the bill perfect... Thanks.
    jbone that is some awesome fab work!
    But I think jman 1200 design is closer to my personal skill level to do with the tools at home.

Posting for future reference.

17. cg1221

cg1221 Are you ready for some camping???

Jul 27, 2014
    THANK you for the photo. That is what we want to do. Can you provide a close up photo? Maybe more [MOD] details/directions of what you did?

Thank you in advance!!
    [:D] [:D]
    carol & roger

18. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Aug 20, 2007
    Western MA
    Having gone through 10-15 hours of fabrication, drilling, bolting, and installing a hitch on the back of a previous pup we had, only to have more sway than I'd wish on my worst enemy, be sure that your frame and everything the hitch is attached to is extremely sturdy, and also watch the following video. I saw this on my way home from work the other day, and had to video it. You can't see it well in the video, but the hitch (a frame width span of about 60-70 inches) was twisting big time, and it's shocking to me it hasn't yet broken (the 5er had FL plates, and was in MA). Notice the trailer was not rocking, yet the bikes were bouncing around. There is a LOT of leverage on that hitch, camper frame, and everything involved. Also, weight wise, the bouncing and un-weighting of the tongue will most likely make a noticeable difference if it were a pup on a regular tow vehicle.

[​IMG]

19. TERBObob

TERBObob GOT STRESS ? Go camping

Sep 28, 2014
    There is one thing that a lot of you seem to not realize ..... Covering your license plate AND or brake/tail lights IS against the law ( not to mention a safety hazard for covering the lights ) and you can be fined AND force you to CLEAR them right then or you WON'T be allowed to travel further until it is done .
    So , if you are covering your license plate , why not simply relocate it and as far as your lights goes ... well , lets just say that MOST DOT and state troppers are kinda understanding , but ... there is ALWAYS that one that will NOT allow you to go any further until the problem is rectified . ( oh ... and if you ... the trooper / DOT already has your info in the system and you will receive notice in the mail that your license is suspended for non-compliance and also receive a HEFTY summons as well )
    And FTR - these laws are NOT just for any one particular state ... these are rules in the Motor Vehicle Federal Rules and Regulations for anything legally permitted on the road .
    Simply go to GOOGLE and do sarch for OBSTRUCTING VIEW OF VEHICLE LICENSE PLATE and then find your state and read it . And the same for OBSTRUCTION / NON WORKING TAIL LIGHTS BRAKE LIGHTS
    So , before any of you go and do some MAJOR mods and welding .. you might want to check into this FIRST .

20. Moss Family

Moss Family New Member

Jun 24, 2018
    Middle Tennessee
    A question about the bike rack on top of your camper, could you give me information on where you purchased this setup and how you made this happen.

C