1. crazymama30

crazymama30 Member

Apr 1, 2017
    So my pup is older, and there is no cargo space in the front. I am thinking of having someone weld a hitch receiver on the rear bumper, and then get a hitch cargo carrier to put in it like this one [​IMG] so I have somewhere to put gas cans when we go boon dock way out in the middle of no where. Has anyone done this? Any tips?

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Bad idea, IMO. First, you are going to be taking away tongue weight and very likely cause sway. Second, I doubt your rear bumper and/or frame are designed to handle the cantilever force that carrier is going to put on it.

3. crazymama30

crazymama30 Member

Apr 1, 2017
    I had not thought of that, thanks. So any ideas on how to transport gas cans when towing with an suv? I guess I could try to rig something up on the tongue as long as that did not add too much tongue weight.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    X2, not a good idea.. If you search the Portal you'll find all the posts about adding rear cargo carriers and bike racks and all the warnings.

Not going to say you can't attach a hitch to your bumper, but it has to be done properly and tied into the main frame rails and the bumper has to be re-enforced .

5. Ductape

Ductape Active Member

Jun 12, 2013
    I'll 3rd the no rack on the p'up rear bumper. Does anyone make a front trailer hitch receiver for your SUV ? I put one on mine, and that is where I carry my generator and gas when needed. Or, do you have a roof rack? Only two suggestions I have..... though not necessarily 'good' suggestions.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
  7. crazymama30

crazymama30 Member

Apr 1, 2017
    I was worried about damaging the roof if I put a roof top carrier on it. I will look at the set up when I am hooked up and see if I could add space for a 5 gallon gas tank or two on the front. Messing with the roof just scares me.

8. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I was suggesting a carrier on the SUV. Our Outbacks and 4Runner all have had bars to use with the cargo carrier.

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Check Yakima and Thule. Chances are good they make a set of crossbars that will fit your vehicle, assuming you do not have roof rails up there already. I have a set of used Yakima crossbars with mounts that are fit to my car since it did not have a factory roof rack on it. I can remove them in a minute or two, and store them in the garage. You could easily get a set and add a cargo basket to the bars, then you could transport your fuel cans up there.

My Aspen had rails but no crossbars, so I got a set of Thule ones at an REI garage sale with the mounts. I have a Yakima Rocketbox up there right now, another craigslist find.

10. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We used a Thule cargo box on our Olds too, using the feet and bars we bought for it. Worked well. They also make baskets to go on the bards, but we liked having the closed box.

11. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    We use the same cargo rack on the back of our Aliner and have put on 6000 miles since doing so. The warnings are correct, but we moved the spare tire from the back bumper to the tongue, so we have plenty of margin, and we only carry lightweight bulky items on the rack. The factory-installed receiver is rated at 250 lbs, but that seems a bit optimistic to me. We stay at about 1/3 of that. Examples are 2 bag chairs, ground mat, lightweight hub screen house, a rolled up tarp, empty 5 gal greywater jug. Once we get to the campground, we can remove the rack and put it on our Trailblazer to haul wood or our grey water tank....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 6:41 AM
  12. CampStewart

CampStewart New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    First you would need to find a good fabrication shop. Then you could look at the feasibility of welding extensions to the trailers frame rails to extend a permanent deck on the rear. Upon inspection they may be able to beef up the frame rails and modify the bumper or make a new cross member and give you a receiver hitch to allow for your original plan. Another possibility would be to make the rack to go on the front of the trailer and extend and strengthen the tongue. Projects like this are very easy for experienced fabricators. Going in either direction you should consider the resulting effects on your tongue weight of the tow vehicle.

13. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    My neighbor has a hard-side travel trailer with a substantially stronger bumper than the one on my PUP. He had some hitch installed on the bumper and began using a cargo carrier on that hitch. After his first trip, his bumper was bent and the carrier was angled downward.

If it was a terrible idea for him, it would be even worse for a pup.

14. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    I had posted pictures of these on the storage section. This is how were able to carry all the stuff we need. The large white carrier holds solar panels, the aluminum tool box holds light weight items like lanterns and our hose, the open rack is set up with a matching cargo bag for all the other stuff. 20171205_155057.jpg 20171205_155049.jpg

15. crazymama30

crazymama30 Member

Apr 1, 2017
    how did you secure the rack on the roof? It looks like you sealed around it with caulking. And what about the cargo box on the rear? How did you secure that to the back, it looks like you don't have a bumper

16. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Those hitch racks are really cool to watch from far behind as they torque back and forth in the hitch if not loaded correctly. I know on my GMC, hitch weight maxes out as 800 lbs for a trailer hitch, but only 500 lbs for a cargo style hitch.
    A trailer hitch rotates around the ball giving exerting basically downward pressure on the ball and the hitch. A cargo carrier can exert downward pressures on the sides as well as directly downward and if loaded unevenly it will cause a flexing from side to side. As I said, they can be fun to watch, and most times it appears they people in the vehicle do not feel it, or might think it is just the road.

kitphantom likes this.
  17. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    The roof rack is bolted in place (old school and very beefy) and the caulking is actually Dicore just to seal the penetrations. The rack ties directly into the roof frame. I was not the original installer of the roof rack, I just re-sealed the holes.
    My pup was missing the original back end along with the factory bumper when I bought it (I'm guessing ithat was rear-ended and had to be rebuilt. It had the back end replaced with thick OSB tied into the steel frame and stainless steel coving the outside. It had a built in giant Ubolt to hold on the spreadsheet tire, I moved the spare to the tongue and bolted the box to the back with the two giant 1/2 studs, a pattern of large gauge screws with fender washer and also got 4 large stainless steel brackets that attach thru the frame and attach along the bottom. I'm happy with the attachment, but I was thinking about sealing them together with non-leveling Dicore to keep moisture and dirt away from the joint.
    I only put light weight items in the tool box.

18. crazymama30

crazymama30 Member

Apr 1, 2017
    How much weight do you put in the roof rack? Would 2 5 gallon gas cans be too heavy?

19. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    I don't think so. Just make sure they don't tip over and leak on your roof.