Hitch Questions for new Jayco Qwest 8 owner

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by ircommando, Jan 9, 2018.

1. ircommando

ircommando New Member

Jan 8, 2018
    We just bought our first PUP, a 1999 Jayco Qwest 8. We have a 2012 Honda Odyssey with no tow package. I am looking to install all the necessary stuff myself. It seems that I first need to install a 4 pole wiring harness, and then follow it up with a 7 pole conversion. Is that right?

To make the conversion complete I would need to also install a brake controller, but I am curious if that would be necessary. The PUP does not have electric brakes so it would be useless to have the controller. If I do the 7 pole conversion without running the brake controller will all the other signaling work properly? Thanks for any help

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    The brake controller would not be necessary if the trailer doesn't have brakes. The difference between the four pin and the seven pin is that the seven pin has wires for 12v to charge the trailer's battery, brakes, and back up lights.

You don't have brakes, and you probably don't have back up lights. Do you have a battery in the pop up?

ircommando likes this.
  3. ircommando

ircommando New Member

Jan 8, 2018
    The seller gave me a deep cycle battery when I bought it, but it is just hanging around loose. One of my first projects was going to be creating a "trailer tongue box" that would house the propane tank and battery. I would have to check on back up lights. The wiring is screwy, all the lights come on when the headlights are turned one, but no blinkers, brake, or back up lights. I believe that there are three wires going back to the tail light region, but will have to check when I get home tonight.

Does the 12V for battery charging come directly off the battery? Or I imagine there has to be some sort of circuit that only lets it charge when the vehicle is on? Thanks!

4. eoleson1

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    I would recommend that you run a fused wire from the battery through an isolator. The isolator will prevent the trailer from pulling the car battery down too low if you leave the trailer hooked up while the engine is off.

The three wires that are running to the tail lights should be brown (tail lights), green (right hand turn/stop), and yellow (left hand turn/stop). Grounding is likely done through the metal chassis of the trailer.

5. ircommando

ircommando New Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Thanks for the pointers. 40A Fuse?

6. eoleson1

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Use 10 gauge wire and a 10 amp fuse.

ircommando likes this.
  7. ircommando

ircommando New Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Thanks again!

eoleson1 likes this.
  8. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    The jayco qwest 8 does not have brakes so no brake controller needed. Depending on what options you have inside you could get along with a four way plug. I changed form that to a 7pin plug so that I could charge a battery while driving. etrailer has the connection you need. The qwest has a square plug on the frame with I think 6 wires.

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    About your tongue box ...... don't overload your tongue ........ keep it as light as possible and your Honda will be happier. Adding a charge wire from the battery to your Honda will not do very much ....... I would start out simple and go from there.

10. ircommando

ircommando New Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Thanks for the advice. I need as much as I can get as I am new to thinking about this sort of stuff.

11. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
  12. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    In your case, I think I would keep it simple and go with just a 4 pin wiring set up. The battery will charge whenever you are plugged into shore power and you can charge it at home before any trips. There is very little on that camper to draw elec down, so it would be hard for me to foresee a situation where you would need to charge it from the vehicle. I have a 2001 12UDST and I can go 10 days straight with my group 27 deep cycle and it is fine (running only on battery). About the only thing that draws much power is the furnace fan if you have one. I would recommend switching the light bulbs to LED if you plan frequent long duration camping without power. The 4 pin for the Ody is plug and play and you can get an adaptor that plugs into the jayco(6 pin rectangle as noted) that goes to a 4 pin connector. It's doable on the Ody to go to a 6 or 7 pin, but it is quite a bit more work and really not needed in your case with no brakes.

ircommando likes this.