Home Depot "Grey Water" Tank (simple mod w/ pic)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by planac, Sep 12, 2009.

1. planac

planac New Member

All-
    Just finished a very simple (anyone can do it) "grey water" tank- great for weekend trips where all you need is the sink, and you don't want to spend the $160+ on a tote- but want to save your back!

All it requires- a little PVC pipe (a T joint, a shot peice of matching tube, and a screw fitting to go through the bucket top), a "Homer Bucket" and lid, some cheap garden hose, and a garden hose end repair kit
    Chop the hose to an appropriate size, and put on one of the "repair" ends to make it fit (or jam into) the PVC T junction. Don't bother gluing anything- you won't be putting pressure on any fitting, and it breaks down easier to all store in the bucket this way. PVC will fit snugly enough for your purposes. See the attached picture.
    [​IMG]

2. CamperDad09

CamperDad09 New Member

Planac,

Great mod [:D] I've been thinking about building one of these for my pup. I only have a small sink and cannot see spending $100+ for a rolling tote. Can you post pictures of the parts broken down? In my conceptual design (in my head) I didn't know how to attach the pipe through the lid of the bucket. Thanks

3. ambulancetech

ambulancetech New Member

Nice work. Might I suggest raising the vent pipe above the height of the sink drain so it
    works the way you want.

4. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

i think the top of the buckets have a thread end where you can screw a male 3/4 into it.

5. planac

planac New Member

As for the parts broken down- that would be tough, now, since I used a fair bit of elbow grease to put it through the lid.

Basically, I spent about 20 minutes going back and forth through the PVC fittings aisle with a buddy of mine, thinking "Ok, here's what I want to do.. how do I want to do it?

From the receipt, I used:
    2 feet of 3/4 inch PVC (they sell it in a 2 foot precut section- I then used a hacksaw to make shorter peices).

3/4 inch PVC tee. I got one where the 'straight' ends of the T are smooth, and the "T" end is threaded. The threads do not match a hose adapter- but it comes close enough that elbow grease makes a tight enough connection- if it leaks some, a little plumbers putty would 'fix' it enough to be happy.

3/4 inch female adapter, and 3/4 inch male adapter. These are smooth on one end, and threaded in the middle. The threads go through the bucket top, and the smooth openings allow me to connect to the T (with a short piece of pipe), and empty into the bucket. I didn't put any extension into the bucket itself, as the goal is to make it reasonably short in the bucket.

Everything fits together tightly enough that I got no leaks whatsoever on my first bucket, without any glue or putty., Everything is cheap enough that repairs will be simple if needed- and it all fits into the bucket for storage. I leave the female/male adapters through the lid on a permanent basis- they can be pulled out with force should the lid ever become too damaged for use, and don't stick up enough to worry about in the trunk,

Good luck!

6. planac

planac New Member

Oh- and the vent pipe doesn't need to be above the level of the sink drain- that's merely a vacuum break, and there's already P trap inside he camper. This is just providing a place to drop the water into- and it works swimmingly.

Happy modding!

7. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

After seeing this I might have to put a sink back in the camper now. So far I've enjoyed not having to deal with grey water.

8. BBDAWG

BBDAWG New Member

I am trying to understand the need for the "tee" and vent.
    Why not just stick the hose end into the hole in the bucket?

9. planac

planac New Member

Reason for Tee and vent:

1. You have to allow for the air to escape the bucket somehow- if you don't use a lid, you risk easily knocking it over, having it overflow on a non-level surface, things falling in, etc..
    2. Because it's much cooler this way. [:D]

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I'm gunna add your's to my collection that includes this favorite one!

[​IMG]

Some how these buckets get knocked over at night in the bushes. Blame it on some one else! I don't snap the lid on tight of mine, plent o' vent.
    [​IMG]
    vent plugged cuz it ain't needed

11. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

For about the same amount of money, the Acquatainer gives you a nice sealed system.

Love mine. 7 gallons and tie two together for 14 gallons.

[​IMG]

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/50439075XFtNrG

12. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

All, nice mods!

13. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Buckets are free! Reusing them is good. I get em from the grocery store bakery. 2, 3, & 5 gallon. They stack inside each other. Don't take up much room since they can be filled with stuff. Lighter when filled ... It's hard to compare 'same money' to something that is free! What ever works best for ya!

14. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

Great Mods..we built a nice big sink counter top and hook it on the side of our Jayco where the table use t go. Then we used the Home Depot bucket under the sink. We ran a straight pvc pipe down from drainer and connected just like a regular sink. The down end of the pvc pipe is not threaded and is tapered. We then put a 6 inch pvc pipe that wil slide over the tapered end and it gives us an adjustable height of about 3 inches. We slide the pipe down into a hole drilled just a tad bit bigger than the pipe into the snapped on lid of the bucket. When it needs to be emptied, we simply slide the pipe up out of the hole....stick a pvc plug in hole and haul it up to the grey water dump. We have two duplicate buckets so if we dont want to go right when it fills up we can switch them out....We love it and its compact out of the way and everythng works off gravity. We store the pipe in the bucket. I always rinse out and put about a 1/2 tablespoon of disenfectant in the buckets and pack the white hose completly seperate for sanitary purposes..(oh..thie white hose is hooked to a nice spray nozzle and not a faucet, we have even used to take mini shower in emergency) we have other campers in pups and in tt always coming up wanting to see our outdoor sink. My lovely wife is washing our breakfast dishes right now in the sink. Hope to put an instant hot water heater in soon so we dont have to boil water every time we wash dishes. .... Lifes good but its better when you are out in your pop up and by the lake.

15. CamperDad09

CamperDad09 New Member

Planac,

Thanks for the breakdown, will have to revisit my HD and collect my supplies!

16. fishguy1313

fishguy1313 New Member

That's too much work. I just put the bucket under the spout.

17. opnorty

opnorty New Member

Instead of the hose, you can get a packaged set of pieces for under a sink. I did a similar mod to my PUP. The only difference is that the piece connecting to the threaded outlet on the side of the PUP mates up with a threaded coupler for a short piece to the tee. All threaded connections so it comes apart to store in the bucket when traveling. This may be a little less work.

18. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I have yet to progress beyond a short piece of hose above an open bucket. I'm not sure I ever will.

19. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

The problem with open buckets is that my dog will try and drink the gray water and you have a bucket of open stagnant water right next to the PUP. That is why I like my Acquatainer system. Plus the fact that it was less than $20.00 for 14 gallon capacity.

20. JayAmyJamy

JayAmyJamy New Member

Aren't you skeered of critters thinking your campsite is the new watering hole?