Home Ellecteical gurus

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Sjm9911, May 15, 2019.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok , since i got called out as knowing very little about electrical stuff. Here is the problem i ran across last week. Pictures will tell all. And i like a good riddle to solve, so my question is why was this run this way. I think i have it figured out , but what say you all? All disclosure, home built in the 1950s according to the owners, ( it was 1920s) , this is a detached garage with one outlet and one light , porcelain based, with a porcelain bases twist on off light switch. Power is run under ground now. I believe it wasn't before. Whats wrong , and why? The box i took a picture of is a disconnect, circa 1930s . The one pic is of the box , the second is of the top of the garage. What do you think? I have a guess. But.......
    20190513_090328-2016x980.jpg
    20190513_090320-980x2016.jpg

2. Sjm9911

Forgot to add new homeowner ran underground wiring and hook it up the same as it was taken off.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

fused nuetral been gone a long time ago cuz if the neural fuse blows the circuit is still HOT.

your's is a little fancier with a cutoff

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Verry good !

5. Sjm9911

But it has bx , the bx is non ground wire. So it was instaled right after the vid you posted, they wired it the same as knob and tube. It was like 2 years removed. Lol. So not correct but they were learning the new system. The homeowner then wired it the same as he took the old wire out. . It took me a bit to figure it out. I never saw the circuit breaker, or i would have figured he ran a 15 amp breaker on each side untill i looked in the box. To fix it i need to remove the neutral from the breaker, wire them together and add a ground screw to the box. Still not perfect, but better then it was. For a freind. I'm not an electrician.

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Not quite the same, but I had to rework one of the sheds at Dad's because whoever wired it, switched the neutral leg. The old single bulb fixture had exposed screws, so everything was hot, even with the switch off.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

I had something similar with my old home , a neutral broke in the bx , so when i turned off the breaker to remodel the ground was hot and sparked. Lol, supost to have no power but sparked when i unscrewed the outlet. Ever since then i learned a lot about ellectric. I rewired the whole house. Even adding crap. Lets say , i can make a old constrution box look perfect in lath and plaster. Im not proud of it.........

8. Sjm9911

Rabid , that was atually tough so yea , you got it.

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

agreed. neither am I but the outlets have receptacles for a ground prong!!! I doubt you are allowed to wire a 3 prong 15A/120v outlet with just 2 wires.

10. Sjm9911

The bx was the ground. Outlet was probably added later. So it was grounded through the metal jacket.

11. Sjm9911

Then they added the bx with the small ground wire, thats why electricians today wrap the wire under the screw for the metal cover instead of using a ground screw. Its all about what they were taught. And back in the day it was good.

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I shouldn't say this but that never stopped me before. There were farm houses that were only supplied the hot wire. It was up to the farmer to drive a rod for the ground.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. rabird

rabird Howdy!

you don't understand.

14. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Was the ground wire coming in under the feeding conduit's nut or just turned up to be out of the way?

15. Sjm9911

It was pushed up in a small indentation.

16. Sjm9911

Then explane it , instead of being a .... insert word here.

17. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Not sure what your problem is.

18. Sjm9911

Had to steal your idea, i fixed the box today, but the ground wasnt conected. I checked the old fashioned way. So someone added in romex in the main house years ago and never grounded out the boxes. Easiest fix to make it safe was to install a ground bar and wire to the exsisting box in the garage. Lucky i still have that bit that goes on the hammer drill to drive the rod. At least that part is safe. I told the guy the some stuff in his home wasnt grounded properly. Apparently they hired an pro to upgrade there ellectrical box and install a new ground wire in the main house a few years back. They connected the ground to the water pipe, and ziped tied it via the gas blackpipe in the celling back to the ellectrical panel. A lot of the bx conectuons were made with the plastic push in hubs, so thats probably where the grounding issue is. There getting someone in to fix the mess. Thanks.

19. rabird

rabird Howdy!

you normally only should have one ground rod, adding one to the garage box prevents a fault from being cleared.
    an appliance plugged in faults and the current to ground is not enough to clear the fault (trip breaker), the green or bare wire returning to the main box/neutral will.

20. Sjm9911

I cant watch that yet, the box in the garage or the circuit has no ground, and is basicly a sub pannel with the one fuse now. So it needs to be grounded back to the house, but that is all screwed up also. You sure it will not work there? If not , ill have him get someone to fix it. Its still safer then it was. I know its not up to code , but thats the problem when mixining old and new crap.