Home made Solar Bunkend Covers?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by James, Jul 29, 2007.

1. postnetnc133

postnetnc133 Member

Anyone come across any good deals for the space blankets to use on bunk ends?

2. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

3. Camper Jo

Camper Jo Member

I just ordered the Grabber blankets from Amazon. It said it was a 5 pack and it was $1.74. I hope I'm getting what I think I'm getting.

4. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Oh no! I think you ordered the ones that are very thin, used in disasters or first aid emergencies.
    Did you order this?:
    http://www.amazon.com/SPACE-Brand-Emergency-Blanket-Silver/dp/B00029TM80/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1370208949&sr=8-11&keywords=grabber+blanket

What you wanted was the ones with grommets on each corner and silver on one side and a color on the otherside. They also have a seamed edge.

This is very similar to what we ordered from Cabelas, but this is on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Outdoors-Original-Weather-Blanket/dp/B002CQUA28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370208949&sr=8-1&keywords=grabber+blanket

5. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

That doesn't sound right. 1 is $11.something according to the link I posted above. If not. You are getting one heck of a deal. Yes I think Jeepmama is right.

6. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Camper Jo, Nope, but they are good for putting over coolers just tuck the ends under. They are like mylar balloons [8D]

7. Camper Jo

Camper Jo Member

OOOoooooooooooo! Will they work for under the mattresses or window coverings?

8. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Perhaps? Not as good as Reflextic for the windows and Styrofoam may be better for under the mattress. I have them and use them to cover coolers. I did the same thing, saved for Pugs... [8D]

9. froggie

froggie New Member

Ok, so pros and cons for gizmos vs. homemade gizmos. I am about to make the plunge one way or the other.

10. Camper Jo

Camper Jo Member

Sorry, for being dense but, are you saying these won't work because of the material they're made from or because they're thin, have no grommets, don't have a seamed edge and don't have a colored side?

Hope you all have a great day!

11. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

They won't work as effectively and I don't think they are nearly as large as the Grabber blankets.

12. T3rry

T3rry New Member

13. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

I would get a friend who sews. It is EASY. Duct tape will not do as well as a sewing job in the outside elements over time. I made sure I also sewed my velcro to the blankets. I wanted them to be securely attached together.

14. T3rry

T3rry New Member

Yeah i was thinking of having a strip of velcro sewn to one edge of the cover and then add some up under the lip of the roof, then maybe some velcro or just clips for the bottom end.

15. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I love the velcro attachment strips as you describe. That helps keep it up under the roof to help channel rain and run-off instead of getting it trapped between the solar covers and the PUP's vinyl.

16. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

I bought a bunch of the big binder clips to attach to the tent material. They came off and we were constantly putting them back on the tent material. Winds here are just too strong even on a relatively calm day.

I added grommets and bungee cords w/ clips and secured them under the bunk end. Now they stay on even in very high winds like we had over Memorial Day Weekend.

17. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

Hi David,

We are totally in with DIY Pugs...it is after all how we started...I made some for myself 15 years ago. But I wish you had checked with us...so far you spent $59.70 (6 x $9.95). You still need to assemble the covers and get clamps...$...?

For $20.00 more, you could have had a custom sized three cover set from us including 50 clamps. (You cost including our military discount.) And had a warranty.

No knock intended at all...truly. Just noting that when all is said and done, our PUGS add up to a comparible value.

Best to all!!

Bob Pitney
    PopupGizmos

18. JETent

JETent JT

In 2010 I purchased heavy solar blankets from REI and used gorilla tape join them together. I used velcro and industrial clamps to secure the solar covers over the appropriate sections of our 2008 Fwood E3. My homemade covers lasted most of the summer but finally melted (g-tape)/blew apart while camping down at Port Aransas.

At the end of the summer I ordered heavy duty Gizmos for less/same as what I spent on my homemade solar covers. While they were together, my homemade covers did the job, but the Gizmos are the best. We are heading into our 3rd summer with the Gizmos and they are rock solid (esp at Port A w/high winds and high temps).

Where I encourage DIY solutions, I gotta say, in hindsight, should have just gone Gizmo from the start.

Later,
    JT

19. pafree

pafree New Member

i am trying the grabber blankets right now and they do work with the heat but the winds down on the bay are beating them up pretty bad. even with tape and tie downs, they flap in the wind which makes it hard to sleep.

JETent, how much do the real gizmos move/flap in the shore wind?

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@pafree
    We camp in areas where wind is a given. Neither of the PUGs we've had (high wind version on the previous one, super high wind version on the current one) have made appreciably more noise than the tenting itself makes in the wind - as well as zipper pulls clanking, etc. (There is a fix for the zipper pulls, but I haven't replaced them with cords, yet.) Sleeping in any fabric enclosure - ground tent or pup - is more susceptible to wind noise than a solid building.
    Wind direction seems to make a difference too, the roof supports or something have had a tendency to creak more in some winds than others.
    We went with the SHW PUGs for the Cobalt, since we did have the substantial clamps on the previous pup pop off in the wind a few times.