Home made Solar Bunkend Covers?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by James, Jul 29, 2007.

1. JETent

JETent JT

Pafree-

The SHW Gizmos are well secured with both est. 1/4" bungee cords (w/small hook ends) and clamps (if you think you need them). We have not noticed any "extra" noise with the Gizmos. Like Kitphantom stated, no noise beyond what you would normally hear from the canvas and other rigging. With the A/C running (and sometimes generators too), we don't really hear any particular noises that keep us from a good night's rest. If Gizmos or DIY bunk end covers come loose, of course they will flap. We have not had the Gizmos come loose yet. The bungee cord design is great (as long as you keep them from getting tangled).

I loved my attempt at DIY covers, but Steve/Gizmo Guy has got a solid design for a reasonable price. Gizmos combined with the reflectix window inserts make a HUGE difference in the heat.

FWIW, we use my old DIY solution to cover our ice chests and other gear. They make a huge diff on the ice chests.

Hope this helps. See ya on the island!

JT

2. JETent

JETent JT

....or bayside. [;)]

JT

3. T3rry

T3rry New Member

kitphantom, for the zipper pull noise you could probably just put heatshrink on them, it would be quick and easy and is fully reversible with just a knife.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought of the heat shrink stuff. I was leaning towards cording with snap on ends, that I've used for other things. Gives a nice grip too. I should figure out if a loop would be helpful on the large window pulls, since they are more difficult for me to reach.

@JETent: we mostly solved the tangling issue with the SHW PUGs, with our ring mod. Each set of 5 hooks is snapped onto one ring, which clips onto a lash hook under the bunk when we set up. We can leave the PUGs on when we close up, so we make a loose knot in the bundle on each side and usually that keeps things all nice and straight. Occasionally I flip the end between cords, especially if I'm trying to hurry when closing down, so I have to straighten them a bit when we set up again.

5. JETent

JETent JT

Kitphantom-

The ring and lash hooks sound like a sound solution. Question. Is it one ring per bungee clip or is it one ring per set of bungees? Meaning, if it is one per set of bungees then on each bunk end you have only two rings/lash hooks? I like the idea of not taking the Gizmos off, much easier on the under roof velcro attach points to not be ripping on them every time we take down.

Thanks,
    JT

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    newest PUGs mod by kitphantom, on Flickr
    Two rings on each bunk, one per side. Follow the link to my flickr pics and you can see the PUGs in use at several campsites, using the ring mod.

7. CrazyZippo

CrazyZippo New Member

8. Cherrypie999

Cherrypie999 New Member

Only wives think this way LOL

9. Quackerjacks

Quackerjacks New Member

I am reviving this thread because I am needing some help. I bought 3 of the sportmans survival blankets on Amazon. Some folks on this thread recommended sewing two together. Some said tape works too. After some time does anyone find one worked better than the other? How were you able to sew this material and not have it tear?

UST Survival Blanket 2.0, Orange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YDQJ9EK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Emh3EUBq1m6Pt

10. jckele

jckele Member

My original was purchased from Popup Gizmo but with the dollar & shipping costs it was way too expensive to buy a replacement. Plus the DW is a seamstress so it made sense to make one.

My homemade ones have been in use for about 3 months now & holding up well. I used the emerg blankets with aluminum one one side & tarp like material on the other. Standard stuff like everyone else. I had to do one seam to join two pieces together. So I added 1/2" to the length of one piece for sewing allowance. Then I used masking tape to hold the lap joint together. Flip and tape the other side as well. Sew along one edge removing the tape as you go, then flip and repeat on the other side. I used upholstery thread. Added webbing and binding all around then webbing loops for the cords. Three cords each side & 1 on the end in the middle. Added three strips of velcro spaced evenly across the top to lineup with the mating pieces that hang out from the roof to canvas joint. Velcro makes a T joint which is super easy to lineup and adjust but lots of holding strength.

Added : When all was said and done I weighed the old and new and they were almost identical so I would assume the blanket I picked was the same "weight".

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  11. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

I'm giving these a try. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KWR2FMC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Only used once so far so I don't know how durable they will be, but they are nice and thick (so hopefully durable) and definitely improved the inside temperature. I need to remember to take an outdoor thermometer next trip so I can get an accurate measurement, but I'd guess about 10-15 degrees cooler inside. They are also nearly the full size of the bunk end roofs so I didn't need to sew anything together to make them work. Just ran some bungee cords from the corner grommets to the bungee loops that are under the bunks. I'm sure it's not as durable or as effective as the "real" Gizmos, but they were definitely a lot cheaper and seem to be good enough for now. I haven't put Velcro on the top edge yet to help keep it secure, but that's on my 'when I get around to it' to-do list. :)

12. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

I was getting ready to buy some gizmos when I realized I had 4 of those EXACT blankets you linked to on amazon from a failed greenhouse experiment. How did these blankets hold up and perform for you?

13. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Going on 2 years on mine still look and work as expected

14. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

Perfect thanks!

15. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

Haven't had a chance to go camping so far this year due to other real life problems, but we used them five times last year, including two trips that were very windy, and the blankets are fine so far. I did have to tie them down pretty good with long bungee cords to keep them in place in the wind but I expect they'll last quite a while. They are pretty heavy duty material compared to normal emergency blankets.

16. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

I hope your problems are getting better. Last year we had my son and then my wife had post operation complications from cancer surgery with a strep and staph infection. Needless to say, last summer was a no camping summer.

Thanks for the feedback on the blankets. I went and found them out back and I am looking for a friend who can sew them for me.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  17. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

We bought ours from Walmart for our bunk ends and they work awesome! Just used 4 bungee cords for each one and voila! - UST Survival Blanket - These are only $11.75 at almost every Walmart in the camping section and are decently made.
    179653f18a851e9284d2a3e0ad97561d.jpg

landon6062 likes this.
  18. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI SPARTACUS...I was just looking through this thread for options on "cutting the heat back in my PUP"

Checking out the "GIZMOS" as an option for us.. Looks like you can pay 80.00 for two, at POPUPGIZMOS..

I am willing to pay that price if it REALLY is that much better..

But SPARTACUS, YOU seem to be very sold on the "UST SURVIVAL BLANKET".

I see this was posted in FEB 2018..

ME THINKS>>I like your pricing better at walmart.. 11 76, However I couldn't find the "SIZE included on that one"

AMAZON also has a TYPE of this...... "60 x 80" for $ 15.49.. "Thermal reflective blanket"..

I wonder if there is any Difference in the two types?

Just how HOT does it get where you are?

It often gets over 100 here in the summer months..

Anybody else tried one of these TYPES in REALLY HOT AREAS? AND what is your opinion?

I am Particularity interested in hearing from those in the Southern States where it is REALLY HOT..: )

AGAIN....It gets to over 100 in South Carolina and I certainly could use something to help "cut the heat".. Yesterday 6/21/18 was so HOT I am certain I am sure I could have fried a hamburger on a piece of wood.. LOL

THANKS FOR YOUR HELPS : )

Thought I would include the Link to the POPUPGIZMOS..

http://www.popupgizmos.com/bunkcoverpage.htm

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  19. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

The Walmart ones that i linked are 60x83. It covers the queen bunk perfectly. It does leave about 6-8 inches of the king side uncovered, but I did not notice a difference. We camped in Tennessee two weeks ago and it was 95 with heat index at 108. Our camper temp stayed at 70 all day.

I have come close to ordering the Gizmos but decided to try these and so far, I like them. Alot.

20. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Got my Gizmos today.. Um??? I am sure they shorted me on my order.. WHERE is the really tall person to put these on!!!.

They are VERY light weight, easy to work with.. but how do you put them on without carrying a big ladder with you?

I thought I would provide a demonstration on what difference they can make..

It is 12:42, only going to get hotter here in South Carolina..

normally I have not be able to get the temperature to go below 95 or so degrees, with the A/C on..

The temp of my PUP right now.. is 20180627_122126.jpg 108, without A/C

I have the a/c now, with GIZMOS, and reflextix in windows..

OH I should add that it is...81 outside right now, with heat index "feels like" 97

We will see what we get.. I am excited to see the difference they will make.. 20180627_122625.jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    JPBar likes this.