Homemade portable trailer dolly

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by mattyj, Jun 17, 2011.

1. mattyj

mattyj New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Maine
    This is an idea I've been toying with for awhile, it's coming together now. I have a couple more modifications for it.
    tell me what you think.

https://picasaweb.google.com/mattyjdi/HitchWheel

2. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

May 21, 2007
    Tigard, OR
    That Cool...
    Looks like it is easy to make.....
    Good Job

3. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Apr 15, 2007
    North Carolina
    Nice work mattyj!

4. Dusty82

Dusty82 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Northern Nevada
    Slick!

So let me see if I got this straight. You wound up removing the center wheel from the jack and the T fitting went in its place, right? Then when you need the dolly, you'll just screw the handle into that T fitting and tug away, right?

I just finished painting the trailer frame I'm working on (typing with semi-gloss black fingers today - no more primer!) and this would be a great mod to add to it while I have it upside-down and partially disassembled anyway.

5. recycled55

recycled55 New Member

Apr 4, 2011
    I am doing a lot of rehab right now but this is definitely on my list of "need to do"
    If you make changes keep us updated please. Unique idea you had there.
    recycled55

6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Looks good. That will make it much easier to push and pull over lawn/gravel at CG's and at home.

7. bruceac1

bruceac1 New Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Question? Does it turn with the pin engaged? Are the tires left attached during transport to cg? I have an older pup that the po lost the original tongue wheel and replaced it with a wheel that is too big for the jack shaft, so it does not turn when being moved.

8. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Santa Ynez, California
    Nice mod.

9. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Very nice mod, where do you put the electric motor to move the pu? [;)]

10. mattyj

mattyj New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Maine
    That is how it works!

My caster wheel does turn with the pin in, it just turns a little rough do to the axle not being directly under the pivot point. I pull the pin and remove the wheels during transport.

11. Dusty82

Dusty82 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Northern Nevada
    Thanks! Got my parts list made - now on to the hardware store... [:D]

12. dillpups

dillpups New Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Very nice. I went and got the wheels, now just need the pipe setup. I was wondering how much stress this might put on the wheel jack when you are pulling it. My pup is not real light, it weighs over 3000 lbs. I would hate to bend or break it.

13. h0ng0s

h0ng0s New Member

Aug 29, 2008
    That was my thinking as well. A sproket on the axle, a platform to mount an electric winch, some gearing and a chain, switch forward and backwards... No effort moving! [:D]

14. mattyj

mattyj New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Maine
    I lower my wheel jack all the way down when I move my camper, my tongue weight is about 300lbs.

15. dillpups

dillpups New Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Thanks for the heads up.

16. turborich

turborich Active Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You can buy a trailer dolly from Harbor Freight tools for around $40-$50 bucks. I have one & it works great! It's easier than making your own and for the price you can't beat it.

17. mattyj

mattyj New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Maine
    My purpose was portability, "T" handle lays in bed of truck, caster wheels sit just inside camper door.

18. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

Jun 7, 2010
    Reno, NV
    That's pretty cool. I have a dolly also, got it with the pup, but it's a bit bulky so it doesn't get brought along camping. Good job!

19. Dusty82

Dusty82 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Northern Nevada
    I've read a few posts here on The Portal from folks who have tried the HF trailer dollies. Some love them, some hated them. From what I've read, they have a hard time on just about anything other than concrete, asphalt, or very smooth grass. We have a gravel driveway, so something like that wouldn't work for us. This mod looks like it'll work a treat.

20. turborich

turborich Active Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I use mine for going through concrete, grass & gravel. It is the best $40 i ever spent. My pup has around 350 lbs tongue weight & it works awesome. The handle will also unbolt if you need it to. I don't take it with me though as I only need it for maneuvering the pup into my back yard.

I do see how yours could be easily stored as the wheels are close together, kinda like the power caster.