how do I disconnect the frig propane without breaking something

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Anthony Hitchings, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Member

time to remove frig and clean the burners etc

just one question - how do I disconnect the frig propane without breaking something in the thermostat-gas valve panel on the rear of the frig

Dometic 2193

I can get just one wrench in play - on the flare nut - it will NOT budge

as I apply more force to my long-handled crescent wrench - the whole thermostat-switch panel rotates - I am afraid to break something

I can't remove the frig without removing the propane flare nut

I cannot figure out any way to hold the gas valve so it can resist the bending forces from the wrench on the flare nut - its too congested and/or pieces are fragile

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I never tried it or looked, is there a nut on the other side to hold it? Also spray with penetrating oil. Wait spray again and wait. Some things unfortunately dont loosen up. I still cant get my aniod rod out of my water heater. Good luck.

3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Member

no nut for the reverse wrench to hold on to :-(

I have never found that penetrating oils work worth a darn (last instance being replacing all shocks, structs and so forth on my Jeep Liberty, which required taking apart some other suspension components)

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

It has to sit for a day, the reapply, then sit lol. So 2 days later it works, but not if you need it done now.

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

You get on the brass nut with the appropriate sized wrench. Then, using a crescent wrench, you adjust it to fit the square fitting the nut screws to. You apply torque to the two wrenches, holding the crescent wrench still. You want to turn the nut (righty tighty, lefty loosey) and use the crescent wrench to hold the fitting still. It will back right off, it is brass on brass. You can NOT take the nut off without holding the opposite fitting.

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Member

Yup - at 67 years old I understand that - but in this case there is no way to get any sort of a wrench on the fitting - you would need to have worked with this frig (RM2191 or 2193) as installed in the ALiner Scout to appreciate the predicament.

7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Member

Well - I do have some PBlaster from my front suspension work - so it may come to that.

8. Buckmaster81

Buckmaster81 Member

What about going farther down the supply line? There may be a fitting under the camper you can get to easier, then remove the unit and work with some more space?

9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Member

Nope - you guys have not worked on this particular configuration

10. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Member

SOLVED
    I undid the top panel of the control panel - not much help - something was resisting movement -so I undid the locknut keeping the valve thingy in the panel and lifted the panel up as far as it would go (not far) - this gave me just enough room to get a medium-small pair of pump pliers on the fitting's body - success.