How do I empty fresh water tank?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by socharming, Feb 9, 2010.

1. socharming

socharming New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    My new-to-me Viking 1906st is awesome, but I can't seem to figure out how to drain the fresh water tank. This is something I do before leaving the campsite to reduce weight and plus I just think it's a good idea to keep the tank empty unless it's being used.

The tank is under the dinette seat, and it is a manual pump for the sink. There's no spigot accessible from under the trailer (I looked) and no low-end outlet visible from inside the trailer. So ... I sure hope I don't have to manually pump it out at the sink. That would really suck (so to speak).

Any suggestions/experience you'd like to share??

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I don't know about Vikings but my Coleman/Fleetwood has a recessed plug on the bottom of the tank, sort of like a drain plug on the oil pan of a car. I have to lay on my back and slide under the PUP to reach it.

3. socharming

socharming New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    This tank is on the inside under the dinette seat. No access from outside under the trailer. The puzzle continues ...

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    The drain valve is under the dinette seat attached to the water tank.
    There is small hole in the floor where the water drains.
    Find the drain and turn the valve until water flows under the PU.

The back side has a port to feed the hand pump/electric pump. Also, the city fill goes into the side closest to the wall. The drain is near the floor on the front of the tank facing toward the other bench seat.

5. socharming

socharming New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Thanks, I'll take a look again tomorrow!

[​IMG]

6. Unstable_Tripod

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Yes, my tank is also inside, under the dinette. As Rabird said, it drains through a hole in the floor. It is that hole I reach into to unscrew and remove the plug.

7. socharming

socharming New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Do you reach it from underneath the trailer or is it accessible from inside? (I think I'm going to have to roll under the trailer mechanic-style with a flashlight to take a better look...why can't they make this easier??)

8. twstdpear

twstdpear Party like it's 2012!

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern VA
    Our has the tank in a similar place. It has a short blue hose with a 1/4 turn valve at the end that's used to drain the tank. It hangs down below the pup, and I have to reach underneath, and behind the street-side wheel to get to it.

9. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

Mar 8, 2009
    Mine has the fresh water tank under the dinette as well and I empty by accessing via the dinette. So, looking at my tank under the dinette, on the front of the tank, at the bottom, in the middle, there is a valve...much like a valve on a lemonade/ice tea container that I turn to open it up to empty on the ground. Don't forget to close when empty :)

10. Fonedude

Fonedude New Member

May 6, 2009
    Bloomfield, NY
    I always open the petcock when I leave camp so the movement of the camper will empty it while driving.

11. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Jul 3, 2008
    Iowa
    I also have a viking. The drain valve is accessible from inside the dinette seat. On the right side of the tank as you face it, there is a valve near the bottom of the tank midway from front to back.

12. Unstable_Tripod

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Socharming asked:
    On mine you have to crawl under the trailer mechanic-style. There is a 2" hole in the flooring and the plug is in there. On mine this is over the axle on the driver's side.

However, since others have said they have drains or valves in different places, it seems that you will have to make a very thorough inspection of your system, inside and out. Some sort of drainage device is there, somewhere.

13. socharming

socharming New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    UPDATE: I located the small hose extension sticking out about 2" underneath the trailer. The spigot must be inside, just hard to find and get to. I'll be looking for that again when I can open the trailer (currently in the garage). Thanks all for the help!

14. RhinoDave

RhinoDave New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Lake Orion, Mi.
    One of the more common modifications a lot of us on the site have done is to replumb the drain valve so it is easy to open and drain the tank from the outside edge of the PUP.

15. jac43k

jac43k New Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    If you can't find information here, it's no where to be found, :)