How do I use my hot water heater?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by carlito abad, Nov 12, 2018.

1. carlito abad

carlito abad New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    california
    Hi all, I wanted to test out the water heater on my 2005 Rockwood 2280. I will be connecting it to city water. Will the hot water tank have to be filled up first? and then drained afterwards?

thanks for the help!

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Definitely has to be filled before lighting. I've never drained mine except when changing anode.

carlito abad and PopUpSteve like this.
  3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    The City Water Connection will act as your water pump, supplying pressure. Make sure you put an Inline Water Pressure Regulator at the spigot before you attach to the camper.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Orchid likes this.
  4. carlito abad

carlito abad New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    california
    So if I turn city water on...keeo vent open til over flows?

5. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Making the connection to City Water will fill the hot water tank, and quickly. All you need to do is to turn on the water heater after a minute or two.

carlito abad and Orchid like this.
  6. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yes, fill it with water before lighting the pilot or turning on the switch. Which you do- light pilot or turn on- depends on whether your 2005 unit has electrical ignition. I don't know when the new electronic systems were introduced by the various manufacturers. Do you have the owners manual? If so, read through a couple of times, and follow the procedures. If you don't have the manual, consult the Owners Manuals section of this forum and look for manuals of similar age trailers. It would help to know the make and model of your water heater. A phone call or email to the manufacturer of the water heater might get you the info you need. Don't be shy.

Water heaters require some care and maintenance. If you live in or go to an area where temps get below freezing you will need to winterize the whole water system. See forum articles on this subject.

Even if you don't need to winterize, it is best to drain and flush the water heater once in a while. Remove the plug near the bottom outside of the heater and let water drain out. I run the opposite side of the trailer up on the curb or a baulk of timber to get more complete drainage. A stack of leveling blocks will do the dame thing. Cut away half the bottom and part of the side of a plastic soda bottle to make a funnel to drain the water to the outside of the trailer. Get a tool from a trailer supply place to flush accumulated gunk from the bottom inside of the tank. It's a J-shaped tube that you stick in through the drain opening and twist around.

When you remove the plug it may have a metal rod on the inside. Not all H2O heaters use this sacrificial rod called an anode. It purpose is to protect the inside of the heater. If it is corroded away or kind of porous and flaky, replace it. You will need the make and model info to get the right one.

Keeping the H2O heater on all the time so you have instant hot water uses quite a bit of propane. Most heaters in smaller trailers are only six gallons and can heat up pretty quickly. We get hot water after the heater has been on for 10 minutes or so. Conserve propane by heating water only when you need it.

carlito abad and PopUpSteve like this.
  7. Orchid

I don't keep anything open. It only takes a few minutes for your tank to fill, once connected to city water. While I was getting used to having hot water, I used to go inside and turn on my hot water spigot at the sink to be sure the tank was full. Now, I know it's full by the time we're done setting up, so don't bother checking anymore.

carlito abad likes this.
  8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Best not to use the T&P valve as you could weaken it, or get some gunk trapped causing leaks. Open the hot water at the sink while filling until all the air is purged from the lines. If you have an outdoor shower you can also use the valve there, but you will still have air trapped in the line to sink so open the inside valve carefully the first time.

I only drain mine once a year, when I sterilize the system in the spring. But being in TX I don't need to winterize.

crackerJack and carlito abad like this.
  9. carlito abad

carlito abad New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    california
    thanks for all the help...had trouble in the begining...water comes out then stops...
    had to remove screen on faucet and shower head....now water flows like a river! :)
    have to fill up propane tank ...its on empty :(

10. Orchid

One of the reasons I have Hybrid Heat installed on our hot water tank. I can just plug it in and run it from campsite electric.

PopUpSteve and carlito abad like this.