How do you decorate your camp site

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Hockeymom66, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Hockeymom66

Hockeymom66 New Member

Mar 25, 2013
    New to this board. Does anyone decorate their camp site? If so how?

I love pink flamingos and tropical theme....I bet you can guess how ours is decorated.

Last summer was the first year we had our pop-up. Wasn't sure how to hang our lights on the awning. So I just used cloths pens. How do you hang your lights?

2. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Cloths pens might work, I've used clothes pins, but like binder clips better. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. bummy

bummy New Member

Jun 6, 2011
    to hang our lights we use some clips that we bought from Walmart they came in a bag of ten they have good springs in them there like clothes pins but stronger they were in the automotive section. Clothes pins didn't work for us when it got windy one night we came out in the morning and half of the lights were on the ground. We don't put much of anything else up just more to carry in the pup or TV.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We're pretty bare bones at decorating. No tacky lights for us, we prefer task lighting when needed, none otherwise; we seldom have power for them too.
    We often put out our campsign, that's about it, unless you count the lizard decals on the pup.

5. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Per recommendation of others on this site, I use binder clips for the tacky lights. Around the awning, I have a string of chili pepper lights. For over the bedside that faces the road, I have a string of MN Vikings lights - (DH's love). After Christmas, I bought a string of clear lights, so this year we will have lights around our entire PUP. I also bring along 4 solar lights.

6. saratogaowner

saratogaowner New Member

May 23, 2012
    I use wood cloths pins if your in a pinch they make good kindling [CF]

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I think Mother Nature does a good enough job of decorating so I never add anything, especially Tacky Lights.

8. SirLancelot

SirLancelot New Member

Sep 28, 2010
    I prefer minimal taglines so I don't completely clutter up the outdoors. I keep it simple with tiki torches alone. That and some basic furniture.

9. Ern510

Ern510 lets go glamping .. really babe all that

Oct 14, 2012
    ha ha ha ha ha we all ways camp with lots of family when we camp ,, AND WE TAKE OVER any spot set up .. and there's crap everywhere ... might i add we leave it better then we found it [:D]

10. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Sep 16, 2011
    I'll decorate accordingly to where we're camping. Sometimes it's alot and sometimes it's bare minimum. I like to put a tablecloth on the picnic table that fits the time of the year. Summer, a red and white checkered cloth, Fourth of July, something red, white and blue, Fall, something with leaves or fall colors. I do put up awning lights that are held in place with light hooks that run in the awning track. I'll also put up our campsign. Last Fourth of July, we all camped at Jellystone in Luray, Va. All the grandkids were with us and we rented a goftcart and decorated it. The grandkids loved to ride around the campground on it. Even the teen grandkids love riding around. The pic of it is on the campground's brochure and website. They get a big kick out of that. MeeMaw's and PeePaw's gator goftcart. [LOL]
    When we camp at the beach, I'll put up our Tiki Bar, Tiki Torches and thatched umbrella. But when dry camping, I'll just put a tablecloth on the table and leave it just as that.

[​IMG]

Fall table

[​IMG]

Gator Goftcart

Campit

11. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

Nov 14, 2007
    Just two things. An American flag and a Colorado flag. The rest is up to Mother Nature. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

12. JamesandTina

JamesandTina New Member

May 14, 2012
    We put an American flag on rotating pole (found here how to make) small garden flag that says welcome and tiki torch's to keep bugs at bay and the rest to nature, DW doesent like tacky or too much to take away from Mother Nature's beauty

13. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Apr 9, 2010
    We hang LED colored Christmas lights... use twist-ties to attach to guy wires/ropes on awning.. then wrap around corner of awning at the pole. We also hang a Stars and Stripes and Canadian Maple Leaf wind-socks at the entrance to our camp since I am from Ontario and my honey is from Minnesota.

Sometimes we erect a portable garage without the walls, when we know it is going to rain. We have put the same LED colored lights on the ropes that hold it in place as well. Often those ropes are overhead and many times we have been buzzed by the super-sonic speed of humming bird wings as they try to feed from the red lights on the string!

I do not think the lights are tacky! I think they are festive! What better time to party than on a camping vacation!

14. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    The natural landscapes in which we camp cannot be improved upon.

Besides, one of the tenets of the Leave No Trace ethic is to camp as unobtrusively as possible.

15. Rc_maniac

Rc_maniac Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Since I almost always boondock, I hang these coleman LED light strings on my patio rails using tiny bungie cords I get from harbor freight. http://www.coleman.com/product/2000001475#.UVHIWhfCZ8E

I also put out solar powered yard lights around the perimeter. No other decorating then that.

16. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Jun 21, 2012
    With a grill, chairs, a table or two, and lots of food! [LOL]

17. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    As soon as the pup and the add a room are UP, we respectfully place an American flag on the front corner of our awning. DH is a vet and when camping with new friends a few years back, we commented on their flag... they had a hard side with a permanent flag mount on the side. As soon as they were leveled, she (an AF vet) put out her Stars and Stripes. On our next trip out with them, she asked if we had gotten a flag. When we responded we had not as yet, she ran back to her camper and returned with a new American flag with a bow on it. She presented it to my DH in honor of his service and recent retirement! It is now honorably flown whenever we camp.

When we have electric hook up I will hang a couple sets of lights with oriental lantern covers inside the add a room. They offer a soft light and are not too gaudy. (I did find some globe lights on clearance after the holidays so I may switch them out.) Of course when dry camping we just use our almost 30 year old Coleman 'D cell' lantern on our patio table.

Since we will be attending our first rally in June, I am thinking about making a sign with our first names, the Portal logo and our 'user names', but that is still in the planning stage.

Happy camping!
    Diane

18. AggieJim

AggieJim New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I have some fun awning lights when it's appropriate. Pink flamingos to go with my "Just another day in Paradise" decal on the camper door. I found a good way to hang the lights is with velcro strips. You can get them at any sewing department and cut them to any length you want. Also good for binding rolled up rugs and such.

19. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

Apr 8, 2012
    Multi-colored LED Christmas lights adorn the awning, and our new-this-year family/PUP sign will debut by gracing our campsite. [:D]

20. infotech

infotech New Member

Nov 4, 2012
    We haven't done any decorating yet, unless you count the clothes line (tied never nailed). I plan on getting a tacky strip of LED lights for the evening - last camp was so dark due to a burn ban that my trusty lantern wasn't quite enough. Too dangerous with little ones that might need to get around the campsite before bed time.