How do you handle your gray water?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Alan, Mar 19, 2017.

1. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Mar 30, 2016
    SC PA
    We use a collapsible 5gal bladder and short section of garden hose. The bladder is easy to carry to a restroom and dump it down the toilet or where approved. Also it doesn't take up any space. We empty it about once a day.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Our camper has the underneath carrying rack for grey water, but we don't use it. It only holds the triangle shaped containers and I wanted something larger. We use a 32 gallon with a metal bar that hooks to our tow hitch. We tow it to the dump station when full.

3. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Apr 16, 2011
    We used an 18gal thetford tote that had wheels and the handle that dropped over the hitch ball allowing it to be drug to a dump station. This one fit into the trunk on our Niagara perfectly and we could just get thru a weekend using it for sink water without needing to dump it. I drilled a hole in an RV sewer cap and slipped it over the sink outlet.Then used a piece of 1.5in PVC thread to slip adapter screwed down to hold the cap in place. Then I used the Thetford double male adapter to connect the tote hose to the cap. Quick and easy gray connection to the sink.

Sometimes we used the tote for the shower....sometimes the shower went into a 5gal bucket that got dumped on the campfire to put it out or "accidentally" knocked over.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I have a 6 gal gray water tank that I plop down near the drain and fill up. To move it I have a foldable dolly that I keep in my front box.

I have found that I typically empty it once a day.

5. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    I too drilled a hole in a bucket cover. The hose I use is a cut off from an old hose so no hardware on the end that fits in the bucket. It fits very tight and no critters or bugs can fit in.
    It only catches sink water so I don't need anything more.

6. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE
    Wow, I ordered the above unit last night. Just came to checkout this thread, clicked the link and the Amazon price had gone up by $15! I suspect they can be found cheaper elsewhere at that price.

Anyway, thanks for the additional comments. I think we may be able to get by with the small tank. With this Aliner we tend to be on the move rather than destination camping. So far we have only stayed 1-2 nights and moved on, so we don't appear to need a big grey tank. We just did 2 separate week+ trips without hooking up to water or filling the on board water tank. It was not really needed so I decided to leave everything but the sink trap/drain winterized since we will be going from freezing to warm to back to freezing until warm weather arrives to stay in the Mid-Atlantic. I just used a one gallon water container with a screw on lid at the sink. It was amazing how little water we used. We tend to grill and use a small rice cooker/steamer for veggies with paper plates so there is very little cleanup - and therefore minimal water use.

thanks again

Alan likes this.
  7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My off-road POPUP has a sink drain hose port on the outside of the trailer. I use short hose at this connection into one of those AQUA-TAINER 7.5Gal container. I have two of these to be used for my gray water and have drilled a hole in the container cap to fit my water hose end. When the first one fills up then I switch to to the empty container. Then I haul off the full container to the bath room building or vault and pour down the drain. Alot of camp grounds have specific spots desgiinated for GRAY WATER disposal...

[​IMG]
    Roy's Image

This is what Cloudland Canyon at Trenton GA camp ground does for gray water disposal. One of these places on each end of a typical camping road.
    [​IMG]
    Roy's Image

I carry one of those two wheel folding carts to use for hauling off gray water as well as bringing in Fresh Water from the bath room buildings...

Daily chores for me when camping at non-hookup places...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

8. bearman512

bearman512 Active Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    I ruined a white 3/4" drinking water hose so cut a short length and stuff the cut end into a Skillcraft 5 gal military jug. http://buylci.com/ItemDisplayF.aspx?ItemID=906396
    The hose fits perfect and when I leave I just push the hose into the jug.
    It also depends where I am as we too boondock more than anything else and I have a long 25' black hose I will generally set it in the dirt as far as I can. I only have a 16 gal fresh water tank and all my grey is from the sink IE washing hands and face plus teeth brushing.

9. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Jul 3, 2008
    Iowa
    We use the 18 gallon tote on wheels. As noted above, it fits perfectly in the storage trunk on the front of our pup. The adapter to haul it with our hitch ball works great.

10. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    In some situations, I will dump my grey water in bathhouse commodes.

I considered adding an onboard under mount tank. But I would still need a portable tank, when onboard tank is filled on longer trips.

11. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
  12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I thought about turning our fresh water tank into a grey water tank, and got talked out of it. We don't boondock anymore, ever, so will never need it and plan on keeping the camper until it falls apart - not selling it.

We removed the bottom half of our grey water tank holder, as it was getting in the way of installing a new lift system. I'd offer it to you if I could get a straight answer from DH as to whether or not the top half of it comes off, or is welded to the frame. :confused:

13. Alan

Alan Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    That is exactly what we've been using. One for the sink and one for the shower. We have only used our trailer four times at two camp grounds and neither have a gray water dump station that I know of. We'll have to ask the camp host...

14. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE
    I received the https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085KGOF2 tank yesterday and just filled it up with water to weigh it and it is close to 60lbs. I am in my late 50's with back issues and VERY glad I did not opt for a larger version. I suspect for our usage model this will workout just fine. We don't stay in one place long enough to justify a towable larger tank with wheels. If we ever fill it up I suspect I'll be using our folding dolly to move it around.

15. Mogimus

Mogimus Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    I first started out with a large tote for grey and black for longer trips. Then went with the aqua-tainer setup and used the tote for black water when needed... and then I started boondocking and that was a whole different experience.

Since we can't dump grey water on the ground, everything had to be packed up. A short 4 day trip (with 2 kids) filled the large tote with grey and black. There is no dump station, no where to "tow" the tote behind the truck and even if there was, it probably wouldn't survive the dirt road. I had to load this 250 - 300 lb tote it into the truck. I did that twice until I decided to add a grey tank and a larger black tank to my pup. It wasn't cheap and running new tubing took some time but I'm happy with this upgrade since all of our camping is either dispersed or dry.

16. nhsummitmommy

nhsummitmommy New Member

Jun 16, 2015
    We use a 5 gallon water jug (the kind for water dispensers) and a section of hose cut to reach just below the jug collar. We don't use the sink very often so we can get a few days use before needing to empty it. I rather walk a bin of dishes to the wash sink and use hot water to clean them than use the sink in our PUP. Plus I hate our faucet since it sprays more water everywhere than it does in the sink.

17. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I use the CG sewer for grey water... but if dry camping, I use 5 gal bucket and when its almost full, I haul it to toilet and pour it in there carefully.

Orchid likes this.
  18. dumouc56

dumouc56 Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
  19. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    dumouc56 likes this.
  20. Alan

Alan Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    Sounds nice...can you post photos of what you did?