How far have you towed your camper for a trip?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Jeep Guy, May 21, 2018.

1. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

But it's Ouray CO!!!! I can pull the PU for about 10-11hrs before I'm ready to stop. CO to Yellowstone was 610 miles, stopping only for gas and about 10:45 travel time (WY is 65mph tow limit)

2. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

Not too far for us. I am locked down in South Florida and there isn't any great camping around here. My only options are to drive a few hundred miles South to Bahia Honda which is impossible to get into or about 220 miles north to Disney and Fort Wilderness. That is where we end up doing the majority of our camping. Anything else is another 100+ miles and my 5 and 2 year olds barely tolerate the time to Disney at tow speed.

3. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

I think this is part of the reason I got a PUP, as I couldn't imagine towing a TT or 5th wheel long distance across the country. We have kin in both NW and New England and we're in the middle in Texas. Either way it's nearly 2 thousand miles. Even though I have a TV that can pull anything (Duramax), the impact of pulling so much weight cannot be positive as to wear and tare. From a green perspective we also have one of the smallest foot prints on the environment with our PUP's. We should be very proud of that in comparison to larger campers that take more energy to manufacture and haul down the road. I'm so excited to see all the PUP rebuilds here too as folks keep the older and vintage ones alive and functional rather than junking and buying new. Hurray for PUP'S. Less is more.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Redbird234, dirkdabass and Jeep Guy like this.
  4. dirkdabass

dirkdabass Member

Last summer I did my "Big West" trip in my little Starcraft Comet: 8100 mi/8 weeks/23.1 mpg. It was the trip of my life. Saw old friends, music festivals and a bunch of National Parks. Tried to limit my driving to 200 mi per day to leave time for exploration & discovery. Lottsa time in (free) national forests.

Jeep Guy likes this.
  5. Limmer

Limmer Member

We plan on 1600 kms each way (995 miles) for next summer to go from Ontario to The Bay of Fundy. But since this is our first summer with a PUP that may change after our first tow!

Hahahah.

6. JoePAz

JoePAz Active Member

Next weekend I am starting my yellowstone trip with my 12 year old daughter. She is excited since she gets to read all day in the car. Plan is to tow from Phx to Ogden UT on first day and then drive to Yellowstone on day 2. About 1000 miles each way. The we get the week in Yellowstone and 2 days back. Back in my car racing days I would tow to a race track just outside Salt Lake City and that was a solid day. Leave 5am and get there about 6-7pm local (with a time change). That was towing an 8000lbs 24ft car hauler behind a 3/4 ton truck. This tow will be much easier, but still a long day. Lots of 2 lane road and not that much freeway. No sense to really push too hard either. When I was in college my dad and I would drive from Phx to Massachusetts each fall. We typically pushed pretty hard starting early morning and by dawn the next day being around Springfield MO, and typcally stopping on night 2 for a hotel in Ohio. Always good to punch out a long day like that early. We would trade off and drive through the night. No trailer though and I was a young then and did about 75% of miles, My dad did 25% or so.

7. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Thats gotta be the worst gas mileage I have ever seen! Are you dragging the house with the extension cord? Leave the stabilizers down? Or not close up the popup? Lol

8. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

I suspect auto correct changed mpg to gpm.

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

To another country and back .......... Canada.

10. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I did a trip a few years ago that was 2100 miles, give or take. Two weeks, from davenport Iowa where I live to south haven Michigan, to Detroit, across Canada to Niagara Falls to Philadelphia PA, to Gettysburg VA, to Washington DC and home again.

It was a solo trip, just me and the dog. A lot of driving, but I'm used to that and had plenty of good tunes, a few audiobooks, and the perfect amount of time away from work and time to reflect on what was important in my life for the windshield time between my sightseeing stops. Stayed in the camper every night, not a single hotel bill. I did the bare minimum setup for the overnight stops, but the full week I was in DC was close to a full setup. It was a sightseeing trip so I spent very little time at the actual campsite.

A few years prior I'd done a similar tent camping trip in my car, but the pup was much more convenient, except for independence hall in Philadelphia. Traffic and parking with a trailer was an absolute nightmare.

I was towing behind my, at the time, 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 so other than gas costs no problems with mountains, etc.

724.jpg pre trip takeoff picture

723.jpg
    South haven, mi

705.jpg
    Niagara falls

659.jpg
    Washington DC

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    shuang2 likes this.
  11. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Longest was just over 5000 miles in 2015 and then again in 2016. First trip was from No. GA to So. CA, just a few months after I'd purchased my camper. Camper was approx. 1600 lbs loaded & being towed by a 2010 Ford Transit Connect with a 2300 CC engine. We were gone about 3 weeks. The next year it was the same trailer but more like 1800 lbs loaded, towed by a 2009 Chevy Express AWD with 5.3 ltr engine. This trip was closer to 3.5 weeks.

Both were trips of a lifetime time. I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything!

Jeep Guy likes this.
  12. Redbird234

Redbird234 Member

We did Fundy National Park, also from Ontario. Fundy National Park is INCREDIBLE. If you want any tips let me know.

Limmer likes this.
  13. Limmer

Limmer Member

I would love some. How long did you travel each day? Where did you stop?

14. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

I'm just back from a 4300 mile trip from the Twin Cities out to Bryce, GC, Mesa Verde, Great Sand Dunes and a stop in the black hills on the way back(two weeks). We did 940 miles the first day to get to Denver, which actually was not that bad of a drive as we left early and had great cool overcast weather for the drive. Highlight of the trip was hiking across the Grand Canyon rim to rim in one day with three of my kids (actually the reason for the trip). Had my wife, four kids and two dogs along on the trip - kind of a full house.
    Last year we did 6300 miles out to the Pacific NW for a three week trip. A couple of 800+ mile days back to back on the way out for that one. That trip in general was awesome. Each summer we do a long two or three week trip out to some part of the country to see things that we haven't seen.
    It looks like in a few years, we will have less kids and then I think that my wife and I might move to a diy camper van for the trips and then carry that into retirement which is still some time off.
    I don't mind the long drives at all, but the one night set ups and take downs take their toll on you.

15. united1889

united1889 New Member

No where is to far, pick a destination and go. We have driven thousands of miles with our pop-up, you just have to remember the drive is still part of the vacation so have fun along the way

kcsa75 likes this.
  16. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

We just returned from a 16 day, 3,200 mile trip, Seattle to AZ by way of LA and returned by way of Bryce Canyon, UT. We took our time, staying in our 29' TT every night. Can't wait to get back on the road, it's great being retired. When we were younger we did the Seattle to Yellowstone trip, about 2,000 miles round trip and we did stay in the popup all but one night that trip too, promised our son we'd stay in a motel with a pool.

17. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

500miles is the furthest so far, but we are looking at planning a trip out west leaving from NC and going to some National Parks

18. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

Our summer trip is 650mi one way. It's going to be painful with the 5 year old who asks if we are there yet 5 times on the 20 minute drive to the mall...

kcsa75 likes this.
  19. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Oops, that is supposed to be miles per gallon. But it is a Jeep, they are as aerodynamic as a brick. Getting 18.5 miles per gallon in a Jeep is pretty good.

20. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

I don't think your are crazy, but maybe a little unrealistic. With only 1 week to travel 2,600 round trip how would you have time to enjoy Co? A lot of folks forget that towing a camper isn't the same as flying down the interstate at 80 mph. Take into account that those 12" probably aren't intended to go over 65 mph. That can add a lot of time to a trip. A maintained camper can be towed for very long distances so that isn't your issue, time and safety should be IMHO.

terry1419 likes this.