How far have you towed your camper for a trip?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Jeep Guy, May 21, 2018.

1. oldtimer

oldtimer New Member

Longest for us 10 days and 1700 miles each way Nebraska to North Carolina to see brother. Bought $800.00 1982 popup, then new tires and off. Made a sign for the back "Gdpa Gma 50th wedding trip 1700 mi Neb to N.C. honk and wave", boy did they. Best camping trip we ever had, first time to see the atlantic. No problems except rain , motels a couple nights each way. 2003 chrysler t&c 20 mpg with or without popup. Luck

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Sway is usually caused by the weight being loaded too far to the rear of the trailer.

SongCamper likes this.
  3. daveman

daveman Member

Halifax NS to visit wife's family while camping in Maryland (State Park) in 2005….via nights in Maine (Private CG) and the Poconos (Promised Land State Park)…took the PA route to avoid the I95 corridor.. Around 1100 miles each way, and thoroughly enjoyed that 2 weeks.

This is back in the lean years with our "classic" well used and very sparsely equipped 1988 StarCraft towed with a 2003 Caravan. Figured that if something catastrophic happened to the trailer it wasn't a huge pain to leave the 800$ (what I paid including the new tires, replacement parts I needed to get the sucker to crank up etc.) pup behind. Repacked the bearings before leaving, and didn't have a single issue along the way. I did learn a LOT about towing that trip, as the pup didn't have it's own brakes and the Caravan was close to maxed out with the combined weight of the trailer and assorted kids/gear. Now that the last of 5 is finishing university the wife and I hope to take more longer trips again...it's an awesome way to vacation!

Best advice I can give is simply don't be in a rush, stop often for breaks and make it a habit when you stop for a coffee to check the trailer hubs for excessive heat when you get out and check the coupling when you get back in :)

BillyMc likes this.
  4. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

1120 miles round trip from Seattle to Glacier Nat'l Park - We took 2 days to drive there, camping in free Nat'l Forest land by a river, and spent 7 days at the park. Well worth it and we weren't in a hurry. It's hard to take that much time off from work though so most of my trips are about 350-400 miles round trip.

5. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

We have booked a trip to Disney next year and we will be taking the pop-up to their Fort Wilderness campground. It will be a 700 mile drive. We plan to take off before dawn and drive 10 hours and get there late that afternoon.

6. woodentoy

woodentoy New Member

We're heading to Estero FL. in March for two weeks at Koreshan State park and then up to Ormond
    and then to Virginia Beach until the end of April. We'll probably tow about 3500 miles. So along with the
    7000 from last fall we'll have towed over 10,000 miles in 8 months. I usually make my Baby Rattles in the 4 month intervals that we are back here in Maine. We'll hit the road again in September and head west again. Life is good.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  7. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

700 miles each way from Clovis, CA to Kodachrome St. Park, UT. Took 2 days to get there with a layover in Vegas. Return trip in one day which wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

8. gec66

gec66 Member

2200 miles each way central Ohio to San Diego in 17 days.

9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Holy Moses! An average of 70 mph? Are you traveling without the wife and kids and planning no pit stops? The best average I've ever had was 61 mph traveling with just the wife and stopping for gas and food just once on our way back to the Twin Cities from Kansas (475 miles). And I thought that 61 mph average was pretty dog gone good!

kcsa75 likes this.
  10. penny

penny Well-Known Member

different trips in different campers here. I think the longest would be from southern NM up to Grand Canyon then on to northern coast of California down to southern CA, and home. Another long one was Las Cruces to Tulsa OK. With pop up and kids, from Las Cruces to Port Aransas in TX.
    las spring, Las Cruces to Colorado with last travel trailer.

11. mdcamping

mdcamping Member

Just over 2 weeks total has been most of our trips. my max distance has been 400+ miles between stops. This said here on the east that can be 11 hrs of driving which can be tough. This year I plan to keep my mileage between stops under 300 miles as the driving is burning me out.

Mike

woodentoy likes this.
  12. woodentoy

woodentoy New Member

300 miles is a good day. You’re still able to see the area.

13. MeaganS

MeaganS New Member

Hi! I'm new here, but have been lurking for a while. We just picked up our popup last spring, but I grew up with one, so I'm familiar with a lot of the lifestyle. In the fall, we took it from Duluth, MN to Yellowstone NP and back, about 2100 miles round trip. We also hit Theodore Roosevelt NP because we like to "collect" National Parks and didn't think we'd make it up to North Dakota again. I'm sure we're going to do bigger trips once we have more time!

Jeep Guy likes this.
  14. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

I will have the cruise set to 65 mph. The wife and my daughter will be making the trip with me. They travel well without too many stops. Last summer we drove from Louisiana to Pennsylvania to visit family and the two summers before we drove to Colorado from Louisiana. The Colorado trip is 24 hours of driving one way. We did not tow the camper on those trips. We drove to Colorado because I have a 4 door Wrangler and we were doing some off-roading in the mountains.

15. CarlaCB

CarlaCB Member

You clearly don't live in Florida.

16. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

We did South Western Ontario to BC and back through Quebec and Eastern Ontario last summer. Just shy of 15000 kms over a month.

17. bheff

bheff Active Member

I love Ouray! Actually have a picture of me and friends putting a new flag on top of the mountain. I have a Jeep Cherokee (small one) and will drag my 2800lb pup 850 miles to Florida in 2 weeks.

Jeep Guy likes this.
  18. bheff

bheff Active Member

How long is the drive to Acapulco?

19. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

When are you going?

20. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Meagan, Nice to have you here with us. If you did one, sorry if I missed your introduction. We moved out of Duluth in about 96 and my spousal unit is a St Scholastica grad.