How I Fixed/Replaced Entire Bunkend Screen

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by D5ofUs, Aug 6, 2018.

1. D5ofUs

D5ofUs Member

Apr 11, 2011
    For years I've been wanting to replace one of the screens in our popup. It was deteriorating fast and had many rips and holes that I tried to repair with clear fabric glue. It looked awful.

I decided to fix it this past week and here is what I did. I bought 2 yards of screen mesh from http://veada.com/camper-canvas/mesh-screen.html. It is a perfect match to the rest of my popup screens. Paid around $40 with shipping.

Needle, thread, measuring tape, pins, scissors and my camera.

Here are some pictures of how bad it was:

IMG_6132.JPG
    IMG_6162.JPG

This is what I did:

I sewed the new screen to the edge of the old screen and the edge of the canvas without cutting the old screen yet. See pics:

IMG_6142.JPG IMG_6147.JPG
    I sewed the bottom of the screen to the canvas.
    IMG_6157.JPG
    IMG_6159.JPG

Then I cut the old screen. (really careful not to cut the new one!)
    IMG_6170.JPG

IMG_6175.JPG
    The bottom edge doesn't look all that great but better than the whole screen all ripped and glued and from far no one can tell!

And here's my new bunkend screen!
    IMG_6171.JPG

I am happy! No more ugly screen! If you have any questions, let me know. I'll be happy to help.

Attached Files:

Lanasfam, myride, Orchid and 4 others like this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Wow, huge difference.

D5ofUs likes this.
  3. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Kudos to you

D5ofUs likes this.
  4. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Great job!

D5ofUs likes this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Good idea, it looks great and the bugs will probably hate you tho:) It is amazing what a person can do when they analyze a situation. My dad used to say "use your head for something besides a hat rack" and over the years I have found that to be true in most instances.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

D5ofUs likes this.
  6. Toxictom

Toxictom Member

Aug 18, 2016
    I essentially did the same thing for the canvas in one of my bunkends. I bought some canvas at the fabric store and sewed it to the edges of the dry rotted panels covering the windows. I then cut away the rotten canvas. I used a sewing machine after taking the canvas down to allow me to manipulate it on the sewing machine. I also had to repair a few holes in one of the screens a mouse chewed through and did that by sewing a patch over the holes using window screen I had laying around.

D5ofUs likes this.
  7. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Florida
    D5ofUs — thank you for sharing this technique.

D5ofUs likes this.
  8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I need to do the same thing, my screens look the same as yours did. How long did it take to sew it by hand? Reminds me of the people on alone making nets out of para cord.

D5ofUs likes this.
  9. D5ofUs

D5ofUs Member

Apr 11, 2011
    It took me a couple of hours. Sitting inside the camper on the bunkend gave me a hip pain that I still have. I never had hip pain before that day! Go figure... Take breaks in between and stretch your legs. Although I do remember taking breaks :rolleyes:.

Was happy to share. [:D]

Did you take some pictures on how you did that using your machine?? You must have a commercial machine! I have 4 sewing machines and none where big enough for me to do it by machine! But my camper has a one piece tent canvas, maybe if it was divided in 3 pieces like other popups, I would have been able to use my machine? :confused:

10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I wonder if you could tape the screen on with seam tape or that flex seal tape? My screens are suddenly falling apart.

11. D5ofUs

D5ofUs Member

Apr 11, 2011
    I thought about it and also contemplated velcroing it but I wasn't sure how it would hold on extreme cold and heat so I decided to sew it. It wasn't that hard at all.

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Amazing! Looks fantastic!

D5ofUs likes this.
  13. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Nice job!

D5ofUs likes this.
  14. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Well done!

D5ofUs likes this.
  15. Lanasfam

Lanasfam New Member

Jul 28, 2018
    Arizona
    Wow great!! I have the same issue on one of our window screens, we have never been able to open that bunk end... I wasn’t sure what to do. This completely helps me! Thank you! Question about what type of thread and needle did you use? I am ordering now, hopefully I can sew when it cools of here:)