How long does it take you to take down your Popup camper? How many helpers?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Halford, May 28, 2012.

1. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Hey, it took me like 3 hours to take down my Coleman Key West... had to take off the Gizmo covers inside and outside, and folded them. cleaned out for my next trip. I took out my Igloo 3.4 cubit fridge/freezer (bought from WalMart) and put it in my Explorer. I had my 11 yr old son help me out.

How long would it take you to take down and how you did it little more quicker?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontaio
    Do you have to remove you Gizmo's ?? if they can and you leave them on that should shave a good chunk of time off both your set up and set down times ...

3. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Aug 2, 2009
    Hilton Head, SC
    Take-down for us is usually a two-hour process. DH does all the outside tasks, while I take care of the inside. Everything gets cleaned well and properly stored. By doing this, our set-up now takes us only 35-45 minutes.

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Snow, I wasn't sure if I should leave it on or not.. its my first time using Gizmo covers... you leave the inside ones also?

5. Eanddrice

Eanddrice Member

Dec 23, 2006
    [A] Last weekend, DW and I started folding down and it took 35 minutes from start to being hooked up and ready to pull out. We have a routine that we have developed. It don't take us along time to setup or fold down.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontaio
    I never had any on the pup when we had it ,, I know others just leave them on, some have done a velcro mod that makes it real quick to install or remove the Gizmo's ..

Do you have the interior Gizmo's too or are you using the reflectix in the windows ??? if it is the reflectix, then yes you have to remove those ...

Here is an example of one type of Gizmo mod for a faster install and removal ..

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/138384706LKczRy

7. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

Sep 8, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    It takes my wife and I along with our teenage son about an hour and that includes taking the front wheels off a couple of bikes and putting them on the bike rack. Most all our camping gear, clothes and food is kept in large Rubbermaid containers and our tow vehicle is a truck so packing is pretty easy (lots of room). We sweep and clean so if it the PUP is dry when closed it up it we don't raise the roof until the next trip. We don't keep anything in the PUP that can't be reached with the roof down beside stuff that's stored in there all season. I do have outside Gizmos as well.

8. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Those of us with a-frame pups love that it only takes one person 30 seconds or a minute to fold down and hitch up. Of course, it takes us the same amount of time as anyone to put away chairs, gear, etc.

It's not a race or anything, but for those of us that move from park to park or overnight on long trips, fast set up and take down times are a real advantage. There are trade-offs (like having less room of course), but it's the main thing I love about our pup.

9. sturedman

sturedman New Member

Apr 19, 2012
    With our Viking 1706, it takes us about 25 mins to get ready to pull out of the site. I thought it would take a couple of hours, but after only 2 trips, we got it together lol

10. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Aug 27, 2010
    I can set-up/down in 1/2 hour if needed, faster if it's raining [8D] However, I love to bring stuff and will take longer to set up camp if I can, with time off work [:D]

11. disp44

disp44 New Member

Oct 31, 2010
    It normally takes about an hour but today about 3 hours, 4 bottles of water and help from my grandson. Oh did I mention it was 90 degrees out and I'm not as young as I use to be. Thanks Skylor.

12. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Total breakdown time on the TrailManor, inside and outside, is 8.5 minutes. However, beyond that there is is the issue of putting things like coffee pots, clothing, folding chairs, etc., away before you can break down and then the outside stuff like raising the stabs, coupling, etc. These things are necessary with any type of trailer. One thing that helps is to stow as much of the odds and ends as possible the night before. I can drive away 40 minutes after I get out of bed if I am in a hurry. I have no helpers.

13. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Jan 8, 2012
    About 2 hours...with 2 kids...ages 4 and 20 months.

14. kjcamper

kjcamper New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I have set up in 20 minutes on an overnight stop and closed up in about 30 min same trip when leaving in morning. Last summer my wife and I set up in about 45 minutes on a 4 day stay and we closed up in about 45 minutes when we left Monday afternoon. We try to keep things simple on our setup, but when we encounter rain on the set up or take down we really try and move fast and I never timed it but my wife said it took us less than 15 minutes to set up in a downpour 2 summers ago but DD was with us so maybe. If it is nice out I take my time and usually tell DW and DD to go to the pool and let me alone and then it takes about 2 hours and 3 beers to put up. [:D]

15. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Yikes, a lot of times on this thread are longer than I usually take. Single, no kids, so a minimal amount of toys. Do have canines, but they just need hooking up to a sturdy piece of equipment at the campsite while I'm prepping the popup.
    First time out, alone, took about an hour, including moving all supplies into the popup. At that time, I didn't have my grey water tank, so second time, with grey water tank took about the same, although I had a lot of supplies in the popup. I also had a hard time with the inside bedend supports (now learned to not snug down the outside until I get these up.) Also added chocks, 2x6 under stabilizers, and using a level for the front wheel. (Next time, will also have my BAL to set up.)
    What takes people the longest to get set up? I don't see it taking more than an hour from unhooking my popup to relaxing, even though I'm by myself. Granted, I've not gotten my awning out yet, or my outside grill.

16. shaw988

shaw988 New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Just got back from Lake Hartwell S.C. today. About 45 min to set up- does not include my wife making the inside look like a Souther Living Magazine. Take down is about 1 and a half hours. Getting it all loaded up just right is my time issue.

17. RhinoDave

RhinoDave New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Lake Orion, Mi.
    With all our toys, it takes us about 2-2.5 hrs. I usually have to load two kayaks on the PUP and two or three bikes on the TV. These things added to the fact we are never in a hurry to leave (unless it's raining) makes for longer than really needed times. This is really just guessing on my part as I have never really tried to time either setup or teardown. I start packing up about two hours before checkout time and am usually out before the deadline but not always. We are empty nesters so it's just the two of us. I do all the outside stuff and any heavy lifting.

18. bktstrong

bktstrong New Member

Jun 22, 2003
    I can set up in about 45 min time, thats with wife sitting on side of PU in the lounge chair reading her Nook and NOT offering any help (please don't read this).

19. qwed94

qwed94 New Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Well lets see, first I unhooked the water, then cable TV, emptied the porta-potty, while my DW emptied the fridge into the ice chest and put stuff away (which we started doing that last night).

Then she handed me the clothes bags (dirty and clean), the ice chest, and crafty things. -- I grabbed the TV, and Fridge, loaded all that in the Jeep. While she swept the canvas outside and unplugged the electric, and stashed away the cord and water hose.

Then I went back in to remove the poles for the upper bed/canvas, and lower the galley.

We went outside , I removed the bed supports, she stashed them away. She pushes in one bed while I do the other.

I crank down, she stuffs canvas. I remove the wood from the levelers, she stows them away.

I back up to hook up, she guides me.

TOTAL TIME TODAY was 40 minutes. Generally it takes us 30-45 minutes. Remind you this is only the 3rd time we folded this PUP down. 1st time was at the dealer, 2nd time was at home about 2 months ago. This was the 3rd time---and the 1st time we actually camped in this PUP. ---- However we owned an older PUP for many years. and have developed a routine that seems to work well for us

20. johnsagraves

johnsagraves New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Lot of times in our Aliner especially when travelling like we will be doing this summer, We can set up in less than 5 minutes. Setting up the Aliner is only a couple minutes. We do a lot of overnighters when on the road not unhooking the camper so I can set things up pretty quick. The inside stuff, Television, and the rest is kept handy to just slap it on the counter. We are older and love to travel, but want to keep the expenses down including fuel. That is why we pull the Aliner, Quick, Easy, and Economical to pull.