How long does your Propane last using furnace?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Larry NC, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Larry NC

Larry NC Life is Camping, the rest is waiting

Greetings
    Our first trip in the new PUP on the MLK 3 day weekend.
    We used the gas furnace at night.

We were in N Florida, temps got to the mid 40's.
    On the 3rd night we ran out of gas.

Does that sound typical?
    We used it as little as possible, I thought it would last longer.

2. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

yea depends what temp you had the heat on and have you insulated under the bunk ends and windows with reflectixs? When we went to Kerr lake over new years tim and rhonda went through 2 tanks in 3 days but they kept it warm. we use electric heater with the gas to save on gas when we camp with power.

3. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

My previous pup (Coleman/Fleetwood) had the furnace option and I could get about a week using it sparingly. By that I mean warming the camper before bedtime, shutting it off, crawling into my warm sleeping bag and then firing it back up in the cold morning! I never liked sleeping with the thing running as it made too much racket and wake me up everytime it cycled. For that reason my present pup (Starcraft) I made sure it did not have that option!

4. funksway

funksway puping since 5/2009

we camped at FDR spark in GA, temp in the 20's. Used furnace only at night and kept it very cool, the 3rd night about 3am it ran out but we did have electirc ceramic heater. With out the electric we would have been in trouble.

5. cheyo

cheyo New Member

I'm empty before my wife even gets warmed up...oops sorry...you meant propane. [:O]

My gas usually lasts all night long.....dagummit you STILL mean propane! [:(O]

Okay, in all seriousness we had the same issue...didn't know how long it would last...your three day weekend sounds typical. We camped over Thanksgiving and had the same experience. We have also done as recommended, use sparingly, buy ceramic to supplement if you have electric. We also added the propane tank gauge which we found not to be "dead on" accurate but a good indicator we were getting low.

So the SHORT ANSWER is yes....sounds about right. .....I think [RTM]

6. Larry NC

Larry NC Life is Camping, the rest is waiting

Thanks for the feedback.
    We had a ceramic on board (and used it to finish the w/e) but wanted to give the gas a good field test.

We'll generally use the ceramic, but already have a trip planned next fall to the NC Mts, where the CG has no power, so I know I can probably go two nights up there.

Thanks again, this website is GREAT!!!!

7. Alter Ego

Alter Ego Member

Don't forget, those tank exchange places don't fill the tanks all the way. I just looked at one and it said 15 LBS net weight. I can get a local propane store to fill a 20 LB tank all the way for $15. Another wants $20. The usual exchange price here is $17 - $18 for less than 20 LBS.

In other words, those tank exchange places only give you 3/4 of a tank. You might get another full night on that 5 LBS of gas.

8. twstdpear

twstdpear Party like it's 2012!

We went through a single tank in about 27 days of camping over the course of last year. Our usage was mostly cooking, but we used the furnace about 5-6 nights. The last two nights on that tank was fairly cold (34ish) and we were dry camping. Every other time we used the furnace, it was just acting as supplementary heat to our ceramic box heater, so it only turned on sporadically. We might have gone through at least 1/2 the tank those last two nights, since the heater was running fairly frequently.

And of course the tank breathed its last LP into the system around 1-2am in the morning. It was very cold in while I was trying to figure out why the second tank wasn't kicking in. There was only a trickle of propane in the system. It turns out I wasn't giving enough time for pressure to build up in the system so that some safety device in the regulator enabled the regular flow of propane. That supposedly takes about a minute or two. Once I let it sit, the furnace turned on as expected.

9. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

when you fill a 20 lb tank it can hold 4.73 gallons of LP. You DONT not fill the bottle all the way. Propane will expand with heat and need to have the space to expand.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Unless that furnace was running almost all of the time I think a weekend is pretty short for a whole tank of propane. Last summer I got a two week trip to Banff and at least three 3-5 day trips out of a tank. I never use the water heater and use the in-PUP stove only to boil a little water now and then. I have the fridge on propane all of the time but that is very efficient. I have the furnace thermostat on the lowest setting to take the chill off.

11. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

This is why I installed a second tank and an automatic changeover regulator. I don't want to get up in the middle of the night and change tanks or have worry about more than 2 or 3 days if it is really cold.

12. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

We ran out of propane in our pup by 7am Sunday when we were camping in Mid April [:(!] .
    Adverse camping conditons 33 degrees, rain, wind, and light snow flurries.

13. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We didn't use a whole bottle of propane all last camping season. That being said, we have a small ceramic heater and use charcoal for cooking. We did run the furnace in the spring and fall and didn't try to save. Don't use propane for frige and very little cooking on the stove inside the pup.

14. 14erfam

14erfam Member

We can make a full tank go 4 or 5 nights, but we're pretty conservative. We have the pup well insulated, and we layer up with extra blankets, etc. So I'll make the pup nice and toasty before we go to bed, then turn the heat way down. In the morning, I'll run the furnace for a few minutes to warm things up.

We don't use the ceramic heaters because of safety concerns with young kids, and dogs with wild tails.

15. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

We have camped in 15-20 degree F weather. When it is that cold I am running a ceramic heater and the furnace. The ceramic heater throws just enough heat to keep the furnace from being on too much. I do go through a tank in about 2-3 days.

Gizmos are a huge help at conserving heat in the camper. I recommend them.

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Gizmos, Reflectix inserts in the windows and carpet on the floor.