How many of you actually use the small 3-way refrigerator in your PUP?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Dragonfly Lou, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Dragonfly Lou

Dragonfly Lou New Member

Previously owned a 1978 StarCraft popup trailer that we enjoyed for 20 plus years. It was a basic model with "Ice Box" which I simply used for storing all the dishes and such. As empty nesters we sold it and began just backpacking. Now we are retiring and want to road trip a lot so we recently purchased a 2017 Flagstaff Sport Enthusiast, it is new pristine condition and is loaded with all the bells and whistles which I didn't necessarily want however the price was great!
    We do a lot of off grid camping/boon docking. We are vegetarians and typically when just the two of us only use a small ice chest when traveling. Currently we are debating using the refrigerator just as storage.So my question is how many of you actually utilize the refrigerator as a refrigerator? And is it even worth the trouble.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I now have a small TT, but when I had pops (many different ones,) if the had a reefer I used it, i also carried a small dorm size reefer that I sat on a table outside.

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

We use ours every trip, with a circulating fan inside to move the cold air around.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Every trip.

5. JLE

JLE Member

We are two empty nesters too, recently retired and travelling lots with PUP. Back in the day travelling with kids, we used our inside fridge plus a large full size cooler/ice. I got tired of fussing with melting ice/water...and now we have an IGLOO Electric cooler that plugs into either 12 v when we're on our solar panels, or electric outlet when we have power. We usually keep this just outside the door (unless in bear country). Sometimes we unplug the cooler over night so we dont draw too much power if the weather is cloudy. It still keeps pretty cool inside.

We also use our fridge all the time, running it on propane when off the grid. I find it helpful to have both inside fridge and the IGLOO cooler even if they are not always full. Sometimes the fridge gets too cold and freezes veggies so I keep drinks and anything I dont mind getting really cold in the inside fridge, and other items are kept in the IGLOO. Also if we buy groceries or want a picnic when we're travelling, we can keep the IGLOO cooler in our car trunk plugged into the car battery (many cars have 12v outlets in trunk) and get access to items easily.

Hope that makes sense...happy travels.
    Janice

Dragonfly Lou likes this.
  6. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

we did - only needed a cooler if we were doing a whole week at the beach as the fridge was a bit too small to hold all the food ......the fridge in our highwall had a small freezer as well, so we could put a little bit of stuff in there (small container of ice cream LOL) - but then we could access the fridge with the popup closed up so starting it up to cool down before the trip and loading it was not a issue.

but it really boils down to if it will work for you and how you camp and eat -

7. cuppajoe

cuppajoe New Member

We also upgraded from an old no-frills pup to a new one, and while we enjoy some of the features (hello, heated mattresses! ) we knew we wouldn't use the fridge. Instead, we asked the dealer to build a cabinet door where the fridge usually goes. We have the fridge stored at home in case we ever sell the camper, but I wouldn't trade the extra storage space for anything.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Its there, so i use it. Its. Ot the coldest but it works good enough. Good for the stuff that needs refrigeration but will not go bad fast, or the stuff i previously froze for the trip. Meats, chicken, etc.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Used ours all the time..

10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

What trouble? As others have said, we use our all the time. Works like a champ.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

All the time in all our camper for 30 plus years.

12. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Yep. Works great now that we can actually shut the door...

13. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Use mine as a cabinet.

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I use it sometimes particular for things to be refrigerated where as my cooler for frozen items. However not so much on weekend trips. For me it's because my camper is in storage so I have to pack the cooler anyway.

15. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Every trip.

16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I never thought of not using the fridge. I don't find it more work than a cooler - less actually.

My FnR isn't a tented popup, but the fridge isn't able to be accessed unless it's popped up. No problem, I keep it popped up as a "parlor" at home.

17. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I like that idea of using solar panels for the cooler. I have one I'd like to use more and that would help.

18. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I used it a few times and found it too small to be useful. It only ran on 110 too, so I didn't think it would keep things cool for all day travel between sites. Switched to a cooler. Since the space was wasted, I took the fridge out and used the space for a porta potty with a drawer above it.

19. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Use it every trip. We have a Niagara HW that has the larger fridge with a small freezer. Travel with it in 12V mode. Once at CG switch it over to 110V. If outdoor temp is 85 or above I will switch it over to propane. I do have the external fans. Never ever have I had an issue.

20. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

We use ours on every trip. I'm considering one of those new $$$ 12v coolers as well. But the fridge is every trip, even if it's just a weekend. I did do a couple mods so I can pretty much freeze things even when it's in the mid 90s. I dislike the cooler and ice. We have that too, but I'd be willing to do just about anything to get rid of it.