How many of you actually use the small 3-way refrigerator in your PUP?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Dragonfly Lou, Jun 1, 2019.

1. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

We use ours every time. It's nice not to have to buy ice every-other-day.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I can get at least 6 days out of my cooler and we open it a lot. I use 2 gallon buckets frozen to minus 20 F. I usually use 4 and can fit 80 cans of beer and all my food.
    If it is very hot I can fit 2 more buckets but have never had to for a 3 or 4 day trip.

3. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

Yeah but I drink vodka, I need cubes. :p

4. tombiasi

Got it. :smiley:
    Your 3 way makes ice?

5. Dragonfly Lou

Dragonfly Lou New Member

I maybe should not have said "trouble", I just don't know how much propane it will use off grid, and I think you need to cool it down before using? and it is pretty small .

6. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

No, that's why we keep the food in the refrigerator so there's room for cubes in the cooler. [:I]

7. tombiasi

It will barely sip propane. You could get a month with a full tank.

kcsa75 and hayyward like this.
  8. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

It does take some time to cool down, a couple of hours is my experience. As for the propane use, it depends on where you are. In the south it would use more to stay cold than it would in the north. In MN & WI, I've never run out of propane.

9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

They use very little propane. Almost as much as a pilot light uses. You can run for WEEKS on propane before the gauge on the tank moves.

A lot of folks like to cool them down the day before a trip. I haven't ever found the need to. I can live for a half day without cold drinks. We use ours mostly for keeping liquids cold (We have a Yeti cooler that keeps the food plenty cool). Keep the fridge full and it stays very cold. On my last trip, the stuff in the back of the fridge froze.

durhamcamper and hayyward like this.
  10. bheff

bheff Active Member

I use the fridge in the pup and have an ARB fridge freezer 12v cooler. It will actually freeze food if you want. I cant stand food floating in a cooler of melted ice. Only beer cans should come out of icy water.

Spridle likes this.
  11. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

What kind of fan do you use inside the fridge? Sounds like a good idea.

12. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

Ours isn't working on propane yet and my DH is reluctant to try to fix it. I think I might see if I can figure out how to take it apart to clean it out.
    We're camping in a couple of weeks with power so I suspect we will use it then, along with the cooler. I don't think that we can manage food for 3 teens plus 2 adults just on what we can fit in the fridge.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  13. bheff

bheff Active Member

Before your try taking things apart, use a vaccum to suck as much yuck as you can out of the gas tube chimney and around the where the flame would be. Someone posted some little brushes that she used to sneak up in the tube to ensure all the debris was removed. They can be very finicky and cobwebs are enough to prevent them from working properly.

Tulip likes this.
  14. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

The fridge is my 2nd favorite thing about my pup (distant 2nd behind the A/C). I use it on every trip unless in bear country. And those trips remind me how much I like the fridge and not having to deal with the cooler for food. On short trips I can fit everything in the fridge. On bigger trips I’ll keep the food in the fridge and drinks go in either a dorm fridge or the electric cooler outside.

Two things that really help with the 3-way fridge are a fan to circulate the air and a thermometer to monitor temperatures to make sure everything stays safe.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10...57&s=gateway&sprefix=RV+fridge,aps,163&sr=8-3

I use a cheap indoor/outdoor thermometer with max/min memory to make sure th fridge is staying cold enough.

15. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

We use ours every trip out. It will hold everything we pack into our 48qt cooler. It’s great not having to buy ice.

16. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

17. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

For fridge repair, the actual tube for the flame was the problem with mine. Rusty. Had to use a utility knife to clear out the slots for a good flame. I have a post on here somewhere for the exhaust fan I set up. It was very simple and nowhere near as pretty as some have done. I was getting 60f below ambient last year on an Outer Banks beach trip. I may add electronics to control that fan but I don't really need to. The last thing is to add a small fan inside for circulation. I also have a thermometer setup. It's a 3 zone setup. Two remote sensors. One in the fridge, one outside the camper and then the inside room temp. It's really been helpful to make sure all is well.

18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

If we were boondockers, I certainly would have used it. Ours worked very well on propane, in fact, on high setting, it would freeze. I can't imagine any reason not to use it if you are going to be off grid. As is, we have converted to total electric, even the water tank, as we always camp with utilities.

Toedtoes likes this.
  19. tombiasi

I used mine when I first got the camper. Way too small to do any good.
    Temperature regulation is nonexistent. It would either freeze my eggs or go above the safe zone.
    Flame would blow out on the road.
    DC on the road didn't keep temps in the safe zone.
    My cooler has more than enough room for everything and I don't use bag ice.

Now you have a few reasons why someone wouldn't use it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Dragonfly Lou likes this.
  20. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Their camper is a 2017, so I would hope the 3 way would lack the problems of the older ones. We have a 2008 trailer with a 3 way that works much better than our old one did. Our '99 would freeze on high setting, but never had it blow out on the road with propane.