How many people eat at restaurants while camping.

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by 1380ken, Feb 8, 2019.

Do you eat at restaurants when camping

1. Never not real camping

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Sometimes

53 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

We like to eat out a couple of nights when we go camping. Especially if the weather isn't great.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

The only time we do is if we are out sightseeing. Our usual weekend trips, we only cook for ourselves.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Depends on where we are and what we want to do. For example, taking the opportunity to eat in the Lodge at North Rim of Grand Canyon is something we do every other trip or so, usually for breakfast. When we're near Moab, we try to arrange to eat at Jailhouse Cafe (breakfast).

4. J E A

J E A New Member

I said never because I almost ALWAYS cook or we grill. The only exception is on travel days as we are driving to our location. I'd prefer to pack meals for then but my husband isn't up for it (but ironically will make us pack a lunch when we go to amusement parks and then we eat in the parking lot).

Dback2k4 likes this.
  5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

There is a little country restaurant near the lake where we like to camp, which makes the best fried chicken I've had in a long time. Sometimes we stop there on the way home after taking the camper to the storage barn. [:)C]

6. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

Most campgrounds I have been to are 30 minutes or more to any restaurant or gas station so we usually dont. But we have been to a resort type campground that had a bar and we got some food to go, that was handy since it was storming and really windy one night. Another campground we go to regularly has a bowling alley 5 minutes away so we do that as a day activity and get some food. If we do any exploring in the area and find a cool dive food place we will some times stop in.

7. momofEAP

momofEAP Member

We tend to only go out when we are exploring the area. It's built into our trip. If we are spending the day at the campground then we STAY at the campground. If we do go out we try to find the little mom & pop places, ya know, the ones that you can't find anywhere else.

8. LucythePUP

LucythePUP New Member

Depends on the trip. If it's a weekend trip to a state park we'll usually eat at the campsite. If it's a week-long trip to the beach we'll split between cooking and restaurants.

9. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Not every time we go camping but if we are roaming at meal time we will dine out.

10. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Typically we cook. Lately (last two seasons) we'll pickup pizza on the way to the campsite on Friday. We'll sit and eat before we begin to setup camp. Everyone is much happier.

Couple of the places we camp are nearby to some of our favorite restaurants, so sometimes we'll eat out.

We're camping to relax, If we want to take a night off, the Ranger isn't going to kick us out of the campground.

11. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

We very often stop for dinner on the way to our campground. We are usually leaving after the kids get home from school and we've found our first evening of camping is MUCH easier if we don't have to rush to set up so we can make dinner. Just "beverages" : )

Also one trip when we were with friends, on the morning we were all packing and hitching up, friends ordered pizza from the campground concession stand for everyone to share for lunch before leaving. Awesome idea!

Dback2k4 likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I do cook most meals at the campsight, same as at home. But you need a break every now and then! So we always try on longer trips to eat a few meals out. I mostly cook the netter stuff that will go bad the fastest first, so chicken , steak, chops. The other stuff like , hot dogs, spaghetti, etc is slated for the end of the trip, so if it dosent get cooked its no big deal.

13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I don't eat out when camping. Because when I'm camping, I'm away from urban areas with restaurants. It just doesn't make sense to drive a huge distance just to eat out, when I could have cooked and been eating quicker. It's not that eating out is "against the rules" of camping.

When I start traveling with the FnR, I will do more eating out because it will be about sightseeing not camping. My stops will be in urban areas as well as in the wilderness, so there will be a combination of eating out and cooking in.

14. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Why did you add "not real camping"?

15. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We sometimes end up in town somewhere along the way... In Gatlinburg while camping in the Smokies you every now and then hear about a bear attack and it is usually associated with BBQ RIBS hehe... I guess the smell brings them on... I was solo TENT camping at ELKMONT Camp one time and a Tent Camper was killed by Bear just a couple camp roads from where I was at... He apparently had brought a big bag full of BBQ RIBS and was snacking of them thru the night...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

16. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

There don't tend to be restaurants where I go camping but we might stop somewhere for lunch on the drive, especially after switching to a popup which doesn't have a very useful kitchen while in travel mode.

A few national parks have restaurants and we might try those. I think we ate at some cafeteria by Old Faithful once. It was a bad choice. :)

17. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I voted sometimes but mainly only on the first night after a long drive and stop on the way to the campground at some fast food joint. During camp, not often as camp is usually away from town and just not worth the gas.

18. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

It depends on where we are heading. Often we eat dinner on the way, as just about everywhere from Dallas means we need to eat before getting to camp. For me I use the pup to go to merit badge colleges with my son that are sometimes a couple hours away. Those trips we generally eat our meals at the pup. Other times we are going to a particular city (visiting friends, events, exploring) and on those trips we will usually eat lunch out, and do breakfast/dinner at the pup. However - when we go to Austin my son has a long list of favorite restaurants so we will make efforts to eat in town when we head that way. Austin is usually a trip to visit friends, etc. so we are in the city anyway.

When he does camp for a week we eat at the pup the whole week, and restaurants on the weekends with the exception of dinners sometimes.

19. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I can’t remember a trip when we didn’t, but we mostly eat at the campsite. Mostly we eat at a restaurant on transition day - arrival or departure. It’s just easier to set up or break down without having to plan around a meal.

20. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

It's a mix. For weekend trips where the objective is to stay at the campground, we cook every meal. If the objective is local tourism, then we will hit up a mom and pop place and try the local fare when we're out at dinner time. For lunch, we either pack something in the car, or do mom and pop for that, too. Breakfast is 100% in the campground.