how many people towing there pup with there passenger car

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by HYDETHERAT, Jun 5, 2010.

1. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    brewer me
    i have a 2000 Ford Taurus se what hauls are 1979 Bethany compact 560

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. BaylorWaylor

BaylorWaylor Member

May 27, 2009
    Whitehouse, Tennessee
    We used to tow with a 2002 Taurus with no problems.

3. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    When we got our first PUP in the late 70's we towed it with a Ford Pinto wagon and then a Mercury.

4. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Springfield Kentucky
    For a long time i use a 97 ford crown vic good car towed with no problems

5. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We use our 97 Plymouth Voyager. 3.3 V6

When we started pulling the camper I installed a tranny cooler, and switched over to ceramic brakes up front.

6. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    brewer me
    yah i am going to do something like that but i need to first replace my car it is a little tired so instead of dumping money in the car ill just get another one

7. Alter Ego

Alter Ego New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    While not strictly a passenger car, I towed my first popup with a 1991 Geo tracker. It had a short wheelbase and only an 80 HP 4 banger. The trailer had no brakes because it only weighed 1500 lbs or so.

Oh, what an adventure that was. Kinda like a thrill ride in slow motion. Hard to get moving and hard to stop. Sliding through a wet intersection with the TV brakes locked up taught me the foolishness of towing too big of a trailer with too small of a car.

Whatever we survive makes us stronger and wiser.

8. momule

momule New Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Two really great outcomes from that experiment, 1) you lived to tell about it and 2) you learned a great lesson with minimal impact. Many people are not that lucky.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    My Yuma weighs 1,550 dry and about a ton loaded. I'd never, ever consider pulling it without brakes and I'm using an Explorer as my TV.

10. windstar

windstar New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I use my Ford Escape 3.0 to tow my Jayco Jay Series 1007.

11. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

Feb 21, 2010
    I currently use my 225hp 5.0L HO V-8, 1990 Lincoln Continental Mark VII Bill Blass Designer Edition to tow my 815 lb 1971 SE-Woods Adventurer, with no brakes, on a class 1 bumper hitch... The car averages 23 mpg while towing, and 30 mpg without towing.

[​IMG]

My brother uses his 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara to tow my trailer.

In the past we've also towed with:

a 1993 Chevrolet Lumina Euro 3.4L V-6
    a 1985 Pontiac Parisienne Safari Station wagon 355cid V-8
    a 1979 Buick Electra Estate Wagon 403ci V-8
    a 1988 Ford Mustang 2.3L 5spd hatchback
    a 1978 Mercury Marquis wagon 460 V-8
    a 1975 Ford LTD Landau Brougham 460ci-v-8 2 door
    a 1977 Plymouth Volare Premier, 318ci V-8 2 door

I don't think there will ever be a truck in our fleet of tow vehicles, because our campers are not heavy enough to warrant needing a truck for just that one task.

12. huizarr

huizarr Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Back in the 70s my parents towed an Apache popup with a 1967 Plymouth Valiant. It had a 225 slant 6 motor and a three speed on the column. The farthest they pulled it was from San Antonio to near Big Sandy, TX.

13. ballard

ballard New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    northeast
    my inlaws have a fleetwood coleman cedar that they tow with their dodge mini van. No problem.

14. johnsagraves

johnsagraves New Member

Feb 1, 2010
    We use our old 95 Grand Marquis to pull our Aliner. We haved covered over 40,000 miles in the past 3 years pulling our trailer.

15. jjsul

jjsul New Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I tow my 99 Palomino Mustang (12 ft) with my 2000 Volvo V70 XC wagon. Tows great at highway speed with decent economy. Also it's a very comfortable ride. It's unusual and draws some attention, but the Volvo is rated to tow up to 3300 lbs and the trailer is about 1800 dry and about 2200 loaded.

The Palomino came without brakes installed. The Volvo handled the braking chores very well but I've decided that I'll be adding trailer brakes next spring. It's an easy and relatively inexpensive addition and gives extra safety.

We've also decided to equip the '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee for towing duties. It will town the trailer in a level or near level setup and if we upgrade to a heavier trailer the hitch on the Cherokee will handle weight distribution.

Jerry

16. Need2Travel

Need2Travel Rhode Island

Sep 15, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I tow my gypsy wagon (400lbs) with my Ford Focus, the 30mpg in tow tends not to limit me in how far I'll drive for a camping adventure! Needless to say it took me awhile to find a good match for my TV, but I could not be happier [:)C]

[​IMG]

17. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

We pulled our first PUP with a 1995 Crown Vic - didn't even know it was back there. Now we have a 1996 Taurus and I can't imagine pulling a PUP with that car. (We two our PUP with an F-150). There is just no comparison between the two capacity of those two vehicles.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We bought the pup when the '96 Outback was our new vehicle; we wanted a pup small enough to park in our driveway, so the 700-800# Shetland fit the bill.

It tows fine with the Outback, though looms in the back window so that I always have to adjust to the feeling that someone is tailgating me very closely. Even though the '96 has a smaller engine than the '02 Outback we had (it had a number of issues, so we kept the '96 when we got the 4Runner), I towed the pup up and over Boulder Mountain in Utah with 2 passengers and a full load of gear very well. However, I prefer towing it with the 4Runner because of sight lines, and I like maneuvering it into a campsite better with the automatic shift.

I don't foresee a new TV any time soon, but doubt we'd opt for much different than either the Outback or the 4Runner (we live in the land of the big pickup truck, and I prefer being a bit higher in a vehicle as I travel around town), so towing this pup should remain easy.

19. DarthMuffin

DarthMuffin New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    I previously used a '95 Caprice (ex cop-car bought at auction) with air bags to tow, it did a great job. Big full-frame car with a V8 and the police package comes with heavy duty everything (even a power steering cooler for crying out loud).

I now have a Dodge Magnum station wagon. It does good too. Actually handles better than the Caprice with the trailer but not being a full-frame car it doesn't have quite the towing capacity. Still plenty for a popup though.

20. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

Feb 21, 2010
    I've always wanted to try driving a Magnum wagon to see what it was like... I hear they're horrible for blind spots.