How many times do you check the weather report the week before a trip?

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by sfrancois06, May 19, 2016.

How many times do you obsess over the weather report the week of?

Poll closed May 22, 2016.
  1. 1 or 2 times a day I check the weather report

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 2-5 times a day I check the weather report

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. More than 5 times a day I check the weather report

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. I don't check until the day before or day of

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. sfrancois06

sfrancois06 Member

Mar 3, 2015
    I was just wondering if I was alone with my obsession over the weather report 7-10 days before a trip! I probably check the weather app 2-4 times a day every day! Driving myself nuts..... I think I liked it better when you could only find out the forecast every morning on the news, and they wouldn't predict weather more than 5-7 days out!!

2. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Lol
    OCD here. Supposed to go Wednesday and it's a 40% chance of rain. Check, check again...

3. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    I have developed the habit of checking the forecast every morning the week leading up to it....just to laugh at how much it changes.....Because it don't matter, we're still going....

4. Natureangel

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    I've been waiting 4 days for it to change. It only gets worse-rain Wednesday and Thursday and Friday

5. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

I can't count that high

6. shardtke11

shardtke11 New Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Hahaha! We are leaving Tuesday AM(after my 3-12 hr shifts on Sat, Sun, Mon and DH 24 hr shift on Monday), been keeping a CLOSE eye on the weather! You guys are NOT ALONE! :)

Sherry

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    It depends on the trip and where we're going. We almost never cancel a trip, though a few times we've changed plans and gone in another direction (once due to a winter storm - which went south of prediction so we still had temps in the teens and another time due to a wildfire). We also changed reservations from dry camping to power - 6" of snow made that a wise choice.
    We usually have a good selection of clothing, but we sometimes add more warm, cold or wet-weather clothing if predictions are unusual for a time-frame.

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I live in New England were the weather can be different 100 yards in front of you. This has taught me to dress for the best & plan for the worst and never let it slow ya down.

9. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    I make a living via snow and apparently watch NOAA more often than 99% of the population. We generally will cancel a trip if the chance of rain goes higher than 50 or 60%. We will also cancel if the temps are predicted to hit 80.

10. sfrancois06

sfrancois06 Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Well, because our trip is on Memorial Day Weekend the weather prediction would have to be pretty dismal with almost zero possibility of having any time outside. The campgrounds in PA and NJ take a pretty large deposit for holiday weekends, usually non-refundable if cancelled within 14 days of the reservation. It does give me some relief that I am not the only one who is crazy enough to check weather so often , just hoping for a nice weekend!

11. passionate1

passionate1 New Member

Sep 4, 2015
    I voted wrong - I thought it said 5x the entire week before. Not 5x a DAY!!

I don't even check it, I voted for my husband because he will check it. I learned long ago not to bother with things I can't control and just focus on the stuff I CAN control :)

12. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    The DW is obsessed with weather reports, especially if they're unfavorable. The thing is, forecasts are often wrong and seldom anywhere close to being as grim as forecasters predict. More often than not, the DW ends up stressing herself out with worry only to find out that she's ruined her own weekend for no reason.

Based on your own experience, how often are they 100% right and how often do they make mountains out of mole hills just to make some headlines? Don't get me wrong here either, I don't head out if there are going to be gale force winds and driving rain all weekend but it's got to be pretty bleak for me to cancel a trip out.

Bad weather always means more work and that sucks but it comes down to this; Are you going or aren't you? If you're going, pack things like tarps, tent pegs, bungees and load straps, rope and duct tape so that you can fabricate a dry place to sit and to cook under your awning. Besides, it gives you something to do other than sit in the pup and look outside. [;)]

If you only camp when it's nice, then you might as well sell your camper now and save the annoyance of having it parked in your driveway. [;)]

13. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

May 4, 2009
    Maine
    However it doesn not affect my decision to go camping [;)]

14. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    AMEN!

Yep... lower your expectations and you'll never face disappointment! [LOL] [LOL]

15. Natureangel

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    I'm just going to post this here and skip checking now.
    Camping Wednesday to Saturday

Attached Files:

16. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

May 8, 2015
    Upstate New York
    I check the weather often leading up to a trip but it usually won't impact my trip if I have one already planned. I just plan accordingly if there are longer periods of rain forecasted.

17. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    None of the above. I'll check a week out and again a few days out. Then the day before and of.

18. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I will look at two different weather reporting sites as they are usually different. And figure a medium. Having the pup. I would second guess a complete washout, however the tt is a more giving . just try to plan my drive time in between showers if all possible