how much fresh water a day do you use boondocking???

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by dave123, Nov 2, 2014.

1. dave123

dave123 freedom is not just another word

Mar 29, 2013
    we use creek, lake, river water for everything but drinking, filtering this water thru towels; but drinking water we use about 2 gallons a day for coffee, pasta,potatoes ect and canteens while hiking.there be four of us 16 and up.... and this is summer time

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Two gallons a day for 4 is pretty conservative considering you should be drinking about a quart each a day.

3. WingShot

WingShot New Member

May 14, 2014
    A gallon per person, per day, is often recommended. But we are active people, living in a high-desert climate, and we try to stay hydrated. So I count on almost 1.5 gallons per person, per day. And we can't forget the dog. So, for our little family we try to carry five gallons per day. But don't forget the first ingredient listed on every beer in the world, is water!

NMroamer likes this.
  4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    The figure I gave is just to stay alive.

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The DW and I will use up to 3 gallons a day for cooking,coffee,rinsing out pots & pans.

6. PoppedPaul

PoppedPaul What's this button do?

Jul 25, 2014
    Not including drinking water we use about 2 gallons a day for two adults on the first day and 6 gallons on the second day (shower). I figure I use about 1.5 gallons in the shower and dear wife uses about 2.5 gallons.

We boondock and minimize the requirement for water by using paper places whenever possible and grilling rather than cooking in a pan.

Drinks tend to come from bottles and cans.

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Running a 12v pump with a 12v booster pack and on-demand HW heater for our field sinks makes it easy to go through a lot of water quickly. With four people and the dog, we generally use 10-15 gallons a day (3-5 gallons per meal) for general cleaning, hand washing, rinsing/washing dishes. Oh, and the dog has an occasional shower as well.

Camping with 6 additional people, we've easily used 20 gallons a day.

We use 1-2 gallons of bottled water a day for cooking/drinking.

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    If we have no other water source. We use almost 20 gallons every 3 days for the two of us.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    For drinking, cooking and washing, probably about three gallons per day per person.

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Having just got back from primitive camping, we used 1 Aquatainer (7 gallons) in 2.5 days for personal washing, dish washing, cooking and some drinking (we had a cooler of bottled water, but we refilled some of the bottles). Granted, we didn't cook with much water (mostly coffee and hot chocolate) since we try to grill everything, but we did wash a lot of dishes. Since I also dumped the grey water at the same time, and I had 5.5 gallons of grey water, I'd say most of our water use was cleaning and a small amount for consumption/cooking.

So, our formula, in the high tundra (70's day, 50's night) was 1.4 gallons per day per person, not including drinking water, for the most part.

11. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Only time I've boondocked was my dad and I. Started off with a full 20gal freshwater tank and full 6 gal hot water tank. We used it for 3 full days to shower, wash hands,brush teeth and a few dishes each day.

According to the gauge we had a 1/3 tank left in the freshwater tank and the hot water was full.

I didn't think it was too bad for the first time boondocking

12. sanrico

sanrico New Member

Jun 16, 2014
    This is about the same for us. Two adults, one small child. We've never run out of water, but we have a 5-gallon jug for drinking water. The camper water is for washing hands, cleaning dishes, shower, brushing teeth. We've never come close to running out except for the time the faucet broke and leaked everywhere. That was fun.

13. Az Brittany Guy

Az Brittany Guy New Member

Apr 11, 2017
    ARIZONA
    My rig carries 35 gal. Of water. I boondock up to 5 days at a time but typically 3 nights at birddog field trials. I usually have 4 dogs competing in all kinds of weather. When Temps get above 70° the dog's can go through 3 gal of water (each) a day. Pots, pans, washing hands and brushing teeth about 3 gallons a day..take a show, add another 3 gallons. I usually carry another 24 gallons in backup tanks. I use a lot of water being in the southwest.

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Now that we've had the TT with an on-board tank for 2-1/2 years, I have a better handle on how much water we use. Use varies according to weather, activities, if one or both of us are on the trip.
    We tote 26 gallons of water in the TT, 6 in the HW tank, 20 in the fresh water tank. A couple of those gallons don't really count, since they can't be pumped out of the tank, due to the intake location.
    In addition, we carry a 2-1/2 gallon water jug, minimum, plus some quarts for use along the way. We have a counter top PUR dispenser, which we fill when we get to camp, and usually go through 2-4 quarts from that each day. We fill the hiking bladders from the campground tap, so that's a gallon or more on most days. Using on-board water for cooking, dishes, toilet, ad general washing-up, we usually need to refill it about day 4 or 5. we don't use the shower. We use the 2-1/2 gallon jug for outdoor cooking, and also (along with a rattle siphon) to tote water to refill the TT tank.
    On some trips, we will take one or more of our larger water jugs, we have several from 4-7 gallons in capacity.

15. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    I drink plenty of beer while boondocking. I highly recommend it......

Baba Asheri likes this.
  16. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    My family of 4 goes through about 6 gallons of water every day. I usually empty my gray water tank, which is itself 6 gals. I refill the 10 gallon water tank about every other day.

17. mandinga

mandinga Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Ottawa, ontario
    I went to a 5 day music festival with the trailer. There was two of us, I put 12 gallons a day Into the trailer, and never ran out. We used it for cooking, dishes, and showers. So less Tha 6 gallons/day per person.

Showers use a lot of that water. If I'm at a camp ground and don't shower with the trailer, it more like 4 gallons/day per person. Dishes are the next big water waster.

18. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    About 5 gallons a day on average for normal meals washup etc and a shower each for 2 adults.
    Showers we use the navy method of water on: wet, water off: soap, water on: rinse.
    Normally carry around 35 gallons. For shorter trips still take the same amount of water but end up dumping when we leave the site.

19. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    Just my 8yo and I will go through 1-1.5 gallons a day in the desert, 1g per day for winter camping!

bob barnes likes this.
  20. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    I plan on using a gallon a day per person camping in the southwest. I also plan on losing 1/2 of my 15 gallon onboard tank, sloshing out the vent during a 6 hour drive. Don't always use that much but I'd rather have it and not need it than ...