How Much Gas to Bring for 3000 watt Invertor Generator?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by equest, Apr 20, 2017.

1. equest

equest New Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Florida
    We will be boondocking at a festival for 3 nights, and planning to run the A/C during the night and possibly a couple hours during each day. Otherwise, we will run a fan and charge the camper batteries, and maybe operate a blender periodically. [REDC][Guitar] It will be my first time boondocking with a generator.

How much gas should I estimate to need for this trip? We won't be too far from town to go buy more when needed, but I just wanted to get an estimate of how many gallons would be needed for the trip.

2. mandinga

mandinga Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Ottawa, ontario
    Figure you will need an entire tank each night, plus whatever you use during the day. But it really depends on what kind of generator you have. My little 2000 watt genny with a small load will run 10-12 hours with a small load and only use a gallon.

3. equest

equest New Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Florida
    Thanks. We are renting the genny so I have no experience with the model. I believe it is a 3000w Honda Inverter generator.

4. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    Check that you don't have quiet hours where you will be set up. Would hate to see you plan for it and not be able to use it during the most critical hours

5. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    You'll be able to sleep with a generator running beside your pup?

6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I would sleep like a baby with a quieter invertor running outside. I doubt if it would be heard over the typical RV AC anyway.

7. equest

equest New Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Florida
    It's a music festival so there's still enough noise at night to require earplugs. Some people stay up and party all night (not us, though, we are getting older ;))
    We are fine to run the genny in the area where we will be camping at the fest. They have a designated area for boondocking RVs, away from the tent campsites.