How much wheel heat is acceptable?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by jumpoff, Jul 11, 2018.

1. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    I took my camper out for a shakeout cruise last Saturday here in Fl. in preparation for a trip to Tn. next week. I did a 20 mile loop which included interstate driving. I was going 65 to 70mph. The outside temps were in the 90's. I stopped once at a rest area and walked around the camper and layed my hand on the wheel. It was pretty warm but not red hot by any means (I didn't get burned). Both wheels felt about the same. I just had replaced the bearings about 1000 miles ago on the wheel the felt slightly warmer. How much heat is acceptable and should I be concerned?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    How much heat is acceptable depends on the tire rating. Most trailer tires are not made to go consistently above 65 mph. I had to pay extra for my tires that are rated up to 80 mph. But that rating does not mean I would ever pull it at that speed.

Garrity likes this.
  3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    What part of the wheel did you touch.

4. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've always went by if I can keep the back of my hand on it without needing to pull it off then the temperature is fine.

jnc likes this.
  5. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    I laid my palm on the part of the wheel that is just above the rim. I did it on both wheels. I guess the wheels may have been warmer too due to braking before I stopped???

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I do the back of the hand on the center of the wheel and if the tire looks ok

7. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida

I'm probably a little paranoid. I've only replaced 3 or 4 wheel bearings in my whole life. I always wonder if I've over tightened the installation. I also noticed that the wheel I replaced the bearings on had a few more grease marks on it than the other wheel. Maybe it was just spitting out a little bit of the extra grease. I think I'm going to clean off that wheel and do another shakeout cruise this weekend and see how it looks.

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    You need a digital thermometer. I used a non-contact from Harbor Freight.

WVhillbilly likes this.
  9. sceri

sceri Active Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Washington State
    Where is the best place to aim with the digital?...

10. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida

Thank you. We have a Harbor Freight right down the street. What would be an acceptable temperature?

11. wmshay6

wmshay6 Member

Jul 6, 2011
    I use an infra-red that I won at the pop up gathering in Hingam Mass several years ago! My hub temps are usually high 90s to low 110s range. Ambient temp seems to make a little, but not much, difference. I check them every time I stop whether it be for fuel, bathroom, whatever.

12. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    My tires are usually 100 to 130 if I recall correctly. My hubs may be warmer because I just braked when stopping.

Don't expect them to be exactly the same. You just want to see one way higher than the other. I have seen a 20-30 degree differnce after a tow with the sun shining on one side for many miles.

MyName likes this.
  13. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I put it right against the tire and then hub near a wheel stud.

chambo likes this.
  14. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Our hubs really get no warmer than any other metal part of the camper. We use the back of the hand technique as well.

As an aside, you might want to check your towing speed. In addition to the fact that your tires might not be rated for higher speed, in certain places you are considered a "truck" while towing on the highway- and subject to their speed limits.

15. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida

Dang, you guys are tough.. I was only going 65 to 70mph. In Fl. that puts you at risk for being rear ended in the slow lane...:D

Orchid likes this.
  16. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Ah yes, I've had the honor of driving on the Florida Turnpike several times. [:D]

Seriously though, I mentioned it because you said that you'd be driving up to TN. Different states have different rules and all...

Here in WA, they do enforce the speed limit as well as not entering the far left lane with a trailer. So...it might behoove you to check out the rules where you're going to be travelling. It would suck to get a ticket for something completely avoidable.

17. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Have you packed the bearings? I'd do that before asking myself if they are too hot.

If it's warm and you know the bearings are tight and packed and you inspected brakes, trailer on buddy! If you know nothing about the state of bearings, then the first job is to pack them. Don't fret over how hot they should or shouldn't be because now you've seen them with your own eyes.

MyName likes this.
  18. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Drove maybe 1000 miles and I "hand" checked the tires - they were warm. Was in middle of long trip from Alabama to California.

19. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida

Yes,I replaced and repacked the bearings 1000 miles ago myself.

20. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I guess I missed you replace the bearings - did you replace the bearing races as well or just the bearings? Improperly match races can case overheating too.

If you set tightness correctly, used quality grease and the brakes are not dragging you are good to go!

I don't know if you'll find an acceptable temp range on paper.