How often do you need to empty a porta potty?

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by jm88, Apr 18, 2017.

1. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    My pup has just the basic Thetford 135 Porta Potti. I imagine we would just use this at night and mostly for our two small children. If this is just used for No. 1, should it be emptied after each camping weekend, or can you wait until it is closer to full? Or will they start smelling right away? Thanks.

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

It won't ever smell, if it has the appropriate chemicals in it. You could leave it until it's more full. But, personally, I find it so simple to empty, that I empty it after every trip, even if it's only a couple of days.

3. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    Ok thank you. I will try to find a manual on this. Seems pretty simple. I would imagine the holding tank can't be more than a couple gallons so it probably doesn't need a lot of deodorizer.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I personally empty the cassette at the end of the trip the same time I empty the gray water. Personally just the thought alone of it sitting in a 90+ degree weather brewing for however long it takes for me to get back camping doesn't sound good. If I know I was going to camp a few weeks later I may leave it.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Ours holds five gallons, but I always use an entire bottle or package of the chemicals. They are not only deodorizers, but also enzymes that break down solids like toilet paper.

6. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I will empty mine every morning along with the 30 gallon grey shower water tote from night before both are about 1/2 to 3/4 full easier to put in back of truck. Rinse toilet tank out 3 times and add 1 pouch of toilet chemical to tank, good till the next day. This takes all of 10-15 minutes from start to finish depending, if no one else is at dump station. On the day we pack up the toilet is not used after I have cleaned it for the drive home.

7. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member

Jan 19, 2015
    North Georgia
    I do the same as JPBar - empty, rinse, and deodorize every morning while the wife starts on coffee or breakfast. Only takes a few minutes.

Only additional thing I do is pour a few ounces of flap lubricant onto the top of the seal before putting the toilet away until the next campout. Only do this on the last day of the current campout. Sometimes we do get lazy and empty/clean/lube the toilet when we get home that last day.

I've had small specks of mold grow in the inside of the drain spout and cap, so don't want to let things brew too long.

Orchid and JPBar like this.
  8. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    I have been looking around for chemicals and see different sizes. Do you put an entire 8 oz bottle? Are those little pouches like these any good?

9. Ductape

Ductape Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Do you normally hit a Taco Bell on the way to the campground ??

This may make a big difference........ [:D]

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    When we had a porta-potti it was emptied daily at the same time as the grey water container.. Since I was dumping daily I only used a couple cap fulls of pinesol in the holding tank..

11. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Ductape, Now that's funny!!

Yes jm88, I put one pouch in each time I clean the tank with a little water before I place cassette back.

12. world traveler

world traveler Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Ours lasts for 5 days when used close to bed time (b4&after) and nightly. Emptied at the end of trip or as almost full b4 leaving camground. I have a set of drop in chemicals that we bought last time when forgot to pour in the treatment but they have a strong chemical smell so we keep them inside the trailer just in case. I use small bottles of blue chemical campa chem by tretford that I pour in b4 leaving for the trip along with some water and calgon - no smell whatsoever.

13. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Michigan
    Or a dozen White Castle sliders