How to prevent vent hood from popping up while driving?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Tukee44, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello Aframers,

the locking latch in my vent hood has repeatedly popped up during trip. It occurred several times, finally I had to duct-taped it down. The OEM latch is kinda flimsy and probably vibrated loose during travel. I have not figured out how to add a spring to the latch to force it close. Maybe just add two external hooks and rope it down.

The hood appears made out of Lexan or some sort of Polycarbonate. Can I drill hole through without shattering it?

Some of you folks probably had same problem. Can you share your solution?

2. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Got my own answer. It is definitely not Lexan. I just drill a hole through. Start with a small drill then change to a larger and larger one. The plastic is soft like cheese.

I plan to put a ball chain down through the ceiling vent. I can lock and unlock from inside.

Lloyd B likes this.
  3. Zephyr

Zephyr Member

Jun 18, 2013
    central Oregon
    I was wandering though Ace Hardware one day and saw this:

[​IMG]

It's called a 'plate display hanger'. I cut it in half (the vertical wires in this photo) to get two sets of two hooks connected by a narrow spring.

The vent manufacturer provided holes in all the needed places. All I had to do was cut an opening in the screen for the spring.

[​IMG]

When closed, the lower hook goes around the stem of the crank handle:

[​IMG]

It provides just enough tension to keep the vent from working open. And...I still have the other half of the plate holder as a backup.

4. fransje

fransje London,

Nov 5, 2009
    I had the same problem with my fantastic fan. I drilled an 3/16 hole hear the front on each side through the cover AND the inside fixed wall. Then I took a metal coat hanger and bent it 90 degrees 1" from the end, then bent 90 degrees again so that it would pass over to the other side. Then I bent it down and back in again so that it went into the hole on the other side.When you're done, the bracket when laid down flat resembles a wide letter U with the 1" long pieces on each side facing in toward each other. The tension on the metal keeps it in place. This has worked well for me on a trip across Canada and back home again and I still use it although i have replaced the coat hanger with a piece of stainless welding rod that won't rust.

5. fransje

fransje London,

Nov 5, 2009
    I didn't do a very good job describing what the finished product looks like. The easiest is to say that looks like the symbol for Uber ( the faux cab company) except wider of course to reach across the vent.

6. mike farley

mike farley New Member

Mar 15, 2017
    San Marcos, TX
    I ordered 2 deflectors from Aliner that you screw down. Mine dont lift anymore

7. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Zephyr - great idea!

I found and ordered a similar plate hanger from ebay for $4.66.

Great for peace of mind...

8. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    My ntu Chalet XL1940 has the same problem. Any solution pictures available?

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Member

Jun 18, 2013
    central Oregon
    shuang2 likes this.
  10. shuang2

Apr 20, 2010
    Looks simple, but if I need it on the Fantastic Fan cover.....I'll try to figure out later.

11. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    The opening of the vent hood should face to the rear of the camper. There should be essentially no force to open it while towing. If is is facing the other way, all it will take is leaving it open once while towing and it is likely to get ripped off.

xxxapache likes this.
  12. shuang2

Apr 20, 2010
    The problem is: Since an Aframe roof is pop up like a house and the first roof panel is facing downward, we have no choice to make it to face to the rear of the camper, unless the Chalet Inc change their design--move the fan to the 2nd roof panel.

13. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Our vent cover popped open during our way back from Kartchner Caverns. Luckily I saw it moving in the passenger mirror. We were able to pull over and secure it.

Then during a monsoon storm, rain showered down sideways. A little bit of rain came inside. Nothing major. DH was nearby at the time and lowered them quickly. No rain entered after.

I am interested in installing a Maxxair II vent cover. Maxxair protects the vent cover from opening during transport. And its vent features can block debris and insects. It's a second line of bug defense for the Aliner. I haven't measured to verify if it will be applicable. It's on the Aliner to do list.

Maybe this upcoming winter. :rolleyes:

https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/MaxxAir/MA00-933075.html

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

14. shuang2

Apr 20, 2010
    MaxxAir cover is designed to do backward, So I don't know how to mount a Maxxair cover on our Chalet that can prevent rain water from get in. Since your Aliner Classic roof has similar set up as our camper, so it may not be your solution either. Oh,

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017