how to quiet a generator

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by jayco1997, Jul 12, 2014.

1. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

I'll be boon docking in the real near future but I will be bringing a generator incase its needed. What are some ways I could manage to keep the noise level down. I heard about building a box, changing from regular motor oil to synthetic oil, extending the exhaust. Anybody have any ideas?

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Check the dB output rating of the genny. Hondas are known for being quiet. I don't think any mod will do much to your generator. Perhaps putting it 50 yards into the woods might.

3. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

There's a little button that says "off" on it.
    Sorry, couldn't resist... [:D] I highly recommend solar panels, but they won't run a/c, if that's what you are after. I would say a longer cord, and moving the generator further away is probably the most effective thing you could do.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

If you're boondocking there won't be anyone else around so it doesn't matter.

However, I endorse Honda or Yamaha small generators. When running on Eco Mode they can barely be heard.

5. Mongo71

Mongo71 Longwood FL

Try sandbags stacked around the genset stacked high enough to deflect the sound straight up. This will require about two or three levels depending on the size of genset. Make certain you leave enough air space around the genset to allow for proper cooling.

6. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Don't enclose it in a box. If it's a loud genny, it's not designed to run in enclosed spaces.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. If you need really quiet get a Honda, Yamaha, or one of the new Champions.
    You can get a better muffler for it, but unless it's an inverter, it'll be loud no matter what.

7. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

I've seen where people have fabricated a motor cycle muffler onto their generator. I understand it makes a considerable difference. Then, run the genny out into the sticks some. A cheap, low voltage drop extension cord, get some 10-2 nm romex or uf romex and put some 20 or 30 amp 120 volt cord caps on it. You could run this out some 80 feet. Then, put a sheet of cheap osb board enough to deflect the noise up near the genny. Should be rather quiet for you...

8. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Long cables and lean a board up against the side you want to block the sound from. Sounds ridiculous but it makes all the difference in the world. It's what we do. You can still hear it but it's not obnoxious. We had 5 generators running within 60 feet of us and we were able to carry on conversations without yelling and sleep like babies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

thanks for all the idea. We normally wouldn't use the generator but every once in a while we may have it on or 10 or 15 minutes, long enough to drive me crazy

10. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Have you considered a generator like the Champion 2000 watt invertor? They are quiet and i do have one. I have seen them occasionally on Craigslist for about $300.00. I bought mine new at Costco for $499.00 about 3 yrs ago

11. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

I have read that people rather have 2 Champions than 1 Honda for the similar price. I haven't found any negative comments on Champion 2000 inverter. Nothing negative on Honda, either.

YouTube has a few videos on how to attach car mufflers to generators, but dropping down 2 db is not what I call a success.

12. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

I was really hoping to read some great mods for quieting a loud generator.

"Go spend $400 - $1000+ on a new generator" I already knew about... [:(]

FunkyBunch324 likes this.
  13. Phranc

Phranc New Member

To be truthfully honest, there is no easy or cheap way to quieten a noisy generator. Distance and a sound baffle between you and the generator are the only two real ways to lessen the noise.

14. NotRufnIt

NotRufnIt Total PuP Noobs! But Gettin' Better!

When we purchased out pop up the PO gave us a Honda generator/ inverter as it wasnt going to be big enough for his new rig. We have used it on every trip except one and are delighted with the lack of noise especially in eco mode, if you are boon docking buy a 50 foot extension and move it further away form your rig.

15. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Unfortunately if it were simpler than that, it would be done at the factory, since sound levels are one of the specs these things are rated on...

16. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

The engine really isn't even the loud part. The genset makes up a large portion of the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

We have a generator home for when the power goes out. When we have camped with out hookups and needed to run on batteries jeepin dad has brought that generator along. It is so loud and really bothers me. I just 'know' other campers are bothered by the noise.

I would spend the money on a quieter one OR I would spend the money for a solar charging system. But that is not a, priority of his. We have to both agree or no spendy the money, lol.

18. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

Make a 3 sided box from sound deading board or foam sound proofing on plywood, face the opening away from your camper. It needs air to stay cool so don't close it in completely

19. adirondackcamper

adirondackcamper New Member

This is exactly what we do with 2" foam board, anything to make less noise! We have a friend who uses a "Dogloo" dog house but that is at his camp and really wouldn't be practical to take camping.

20. Concho

Concho New Member

A buddy of mine attached a flexible exhaust pipe (like the ones use for 4 wheeler spark arresters) to a car muffler and it worked quite well.